Hornet Mk.1 - Special Hobby 1/72

CedB

Nice inside bits Ced, and well done on the cutout. I fear that my attempt at that will end in tears.

I must have missed the tool in your other builds; not surprising really, as I'm pretty thick. I did look them up, and for some reason the 1/32 version does 5 bladers...

• Like 1

Thanks Rob. Here it is in action:

33304246061_3e858cf8a4_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

It's invaluable with kits like this where they insist on having separate blades and then don't sort out the locators, or they're worn molds. Process?

- fit the correct sized hole adaptor for the stub and insert the hub in the middle

- rest a blade on the hub and make sure it's settled on the angled surface

- check the blade LE to make sure the rotation is right. It the LE is at the bottom, you're using the wrong side of the tool.

- screw the centre up/down to the correct level so that the blade is parallel to the tool face

- check the blade LE to make sure the rotation is right (again)

- insert the blade stubs into the hub

- check that the blades are 90o apart and rotate hub as required

- check the blade LE to make sure the rotation is right (you can't do this too often!)

- blob some glue on the stubs, press down gently

- leave to dry

Easy.

• Like 11

Thanks Christer - I wish I'd had it when I did my Brigand; I ended up using a Lego jig, not ideal!

Of course even the PropMaster doesn't help when the spinner slots are too small:

32620121583_6fa896db4e_z.jpg

Grrrrr. While the other prop was drying I had a look at the wings. Rough. The attachments go inside the wing so had to come off with a chisel blade:

32620598013_216457b962_z.jpg

I like those for this sort of job - you can just slide it along the plastic towards the lump and 'pop!' it also helped with this mess:

33434649895_bb886483dd_z.jpg

now gone, although could do with a little Micro-meshing:

32620675993_d09b8e6bbc_z.jpg

I'm sure that's not the only sanding that'll be required on the wings so they're together now:

32620759213_c17c37f213_z.jpg

When I have some fiddly mojo or a 'just glue the damn thing' confidence I'll get the cockpit in. Maybe later.

• Like 9

Come on Ced, get on with that cockpit! Right...

Here's what I'm after:

33307197941_25016a7529_z.jpg

(That's my desktop in the background.) A prominent backrest with a view of the rear shelf. Unfortunately that positioning gives me this:

32592515454_583202447f_z.jpg

Some trimming and sanding of the interior required. Of course, during this process I knocked something off.

It's not often I post a 'crutch shot' but I like to share my good fortune with friends:

32592709684_32429c404f_z.jpg

Can you see it? No, not that, the shiny thing... zoom in:

33435553055_ef17c8cac0_z.jpg

I got lucky! And with the control column, fnaar fnaar! Now put somewhere safe - I'll reattach it at the end. 

The fettling was successful and a dry fit looked good, so I wrapped some nasty tape around the fuselage and dolloped extra thin on ONE SIDE from the top and through the hole in the bottom. I'll let that dry. I MUST remember to fit the tailwheel bay resin:

33052545740_241e2c2726_z.jpg

Regular readers will know I've left those out before. Idiot.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Can you see it? No, not that, the shiny thing...

:rofl:  :rofl: This is hilarious every way you decide to read it :D:D 

Anyway, you really had great luck there: that floor has "I eat plastic" written all over ... :frantic: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Smart modelling and salaciousness. Keeps me happy anyway! :lol: I've never known much about this aircraft Ced so fascinating to watch this develop. :thumbsup2:

Tony

PS. That is an admirable tool you have there. The jig:doh: The propellor jig! 

• Like 4

That's a really good description of how to use the tool Ced :).

I know I'm a bit slow sometimes, but it's time to admit something: With some kits with individual prop blades, I sometimes can't tell which is the blade leading edge. Both edges look the same to me :confused: .

Is it only me? "Yes, you pikelet!!" they all cried :o!

Any tips on identifying the blade leading edge Ced?

Glad you didn't lose your shiny column :thumbsup2: 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 2

Thanks Giorgio :)

Thanks Tony - I knew very little about the Hornet either, except that it has big red chevrons. Now I know it was developed from the Mossie; being wood, none have survived. Pity.

Thanks Johnny - wheels up, as usual. But your comment made me panic, after all the work I've done this evening (see below), that the tailwheel retracted - it does, but there are no doors - phew! Maybe I should have left it broken - we shall see!

Thanks TT - I know what you mean about the prop blades. There should be a difference in thickness between the leading and training edges of course, with the thick bit being the LE. It was hard to tell with a couple of the blades in this kit and I turned them over more than once, then realised that, if you can't see the difference, it probably doesn't matter. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will put us right if, er, that's wrong.

I've fitted the i/p, more than once. nightmare. It only reaches the floor on one side and it's hard to balance it in for dry-fitting, but in the end I had to file it down and cut grooves in the fuselage sides. It doesn't fit at the top so that will need filling later:

33289229042_64f938bc93_z.jpg

33289240422_76101c55f8_z.jpg

You can see where I've had to trim the cockpit parts too. That done, the resin tailwheel well was fitted stuck in the back:

32630647433_50314abab0_z.jpg

It fitted well in one side so I glued that. The gap was caused by over-thick plastic on the inside of the tail, so the dental burrs came out until it fitted:

33061926900_11bc996c94_z.jpg

Then, finally, I could close up:

33317057741_02ba0a31eb_z.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks Phil - of course there's a pilot! Fitted just for you (see below).

Thanks Peter - not very colourful but hey ho.

Thanks Johnny - I have a ceiling to fill before I do wheels down!

Wag installed:

32631898843_018c300c63_z.jpg

• Like 10

That's a huge chunk of resin in the tail, you could have just left it out as it's going to be ' wheels up ' and saved yourself the trouble, but we know how you like a challenge.

I'm with you on the propeller blades, the leading edge should be thicker, but it's not always easy to tell on some kits.

looking good

John

• Like 2

Thanks Cookie - I feel that I overcame a major hump last night with the fuselage join up... not there yet, the wings are, um, interesting! Just for you some ceiling shots below :)

Thanks John - I'm still trying to fins some reference shots but I think the wheel retracts but there are no doors so the lump will be visible. Good tip where there are doors though, thanks :) 

While we're talking about props I thought I'd post a link to the 'right hand, left hand' reference I use but then I couldn't find it ('tis me age). From memory, looking at the prop from the front, if the top blade has its LE on the right it's right-handed and rotates clockwise.

For new readers I hang my models from the ceiling, just like I did when a lad. I have to motivate myself to get the ladder out (it's not my real ladder, it's my step-ladder) so I'm often behind, but here are the latest hangings, my BoB group:

33068137450_e4a64dc554_c.jpg

'T Tommy' and other 'specials' in the background. Hudson, Eurofighter and trainers now up - the Moth is low so I can see it and the rigging:

33411038476_eb666fd4ca_c.jpg

That Stirling was one of the first models I built when returning to the hobby. Look at those tailplanes - horrid! Obviously before I cared so much. Perhaps I'll build another one and chuck that. One day.

I still need to hang the Seafire near the Fury and I think that little bit of ceiling might become the 'pretty post war piston' area (thanks Adrian for the idea). 

Finally, and to my shame, I still haven't worked out how to display the 'newly built' Spitfires:

33323299041_334f4e17d7_c.jpg

The Avia, skulking at the back there, will be at the back of the Luftwaffe group. Towing nothing.

I have it in mind to hang them like the 'tail chase' display @Procopius, @06/24 and I saw at Duxford for the BoB Anniversary display:

Oh, those Merlins!

You can also see the blue Rapide we flew in (pleasure flight) on the flight line and we all have the Heller in our stashes for a planned 'joint build'. Still in our stashes... I might get mine out for the DH GB. Maybe.

• Like 10

Ced, I can't make my mind up who to report to the mods- you for hitching your trousers up and galloping on with this Hornet, or myself for not paying attention after the firefly!

(And there was me assuming you were on a FAA roll)

Another cracking thread, lots of silly self deprecating banter and skilful attention to the problems the kit poses!

The canopy alone is a stand out moment in the build! 

Am now off to Sainsburys to pick up supplies for sitting back and enjoying this build ..... no doubt by the time I get back you'll be on page 5. :clap2: 

• Like 1

Thanks Keith :rofl: 

The upside down 'displaying' Tiffie was John's (Biggles87) idea and it shows off the camo. Nice touch, thanks again John. There are a couple of close ups later in that thread too.

Seams are done, sanded and re-scribed so the fuselage is ready for the canopy blending:

33413108026_eb97272a02_c.jpg

I think I might try the BluFix again, brushed on as I did on the Firefly. I should really attend to the nacelles next but I have a really good idea what they're going to be like, so I decided to finish the props first. Of course the spinners don't fit. The slots are far too narrow. Luckily I have a tool for that!

33297839842_91d2012efd_n.jpg 33453512505_3cca77a15c_n.jpg

I twisted the file to get a good guide line then twisted and pushed it back and forth, dry fitting as I went. This showed that the inside of the spinner had varying thickness plastic which was scraped out with whatever came to hand. I then kept going with the file until the top was level with the top of the spinner and that seemed to be just right. TET and a bit of pushing and I now have two props:

33298038852_775c5e6be0_z.jpg

The spinners also got 'nicely weathered' during that process too.

The wings are going to be a challenge as we know. It starts with the radiators. There's no locating marks but I think they're OK here and will at leat be seen a bit:

33298070372_d64890d30b_z.jpg

Note that they're only glued at one edge to allow me to 'adjust' the wing root thickness when I get around to sorting that mess out.

• Like 11

Good afternoon Ced

Very good job so far and thank you for this build as I was tempted to buy the SH Hornet for this Gb now I will wait until Airfix release it some days ..

I also like the way you display your models  from the ceiling :clap2:..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

More nice saves on the canopy and spinners Ced.

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Just for you some ceiling shots below :)

Yes!

Thanks for posting those Ced, I really like the angle you caught the Hudson at, and a whole shelf of Spitfires!

• Like 1

Thanks for the information on prop blade leading edges Ced, and rotation. That makes sense, duly noted and filed :thumbsup2: .

Each step on this one seems to conjure forth a new challenge. Well done on internals, rear wheel well and spinners.

You're clearly winning this one!

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1