Fairey Firefly Mk V - Airfix 1/72 RFI

When I was building my Sea Fury recently Phil ( @HP42 ) posted that he also had one part built along with a Firefly. I replied that I'd like a Firefly and Phil, very kind man that he is, asked if I'd 'help with his stash reduction problem' and sent me his duplicate. Thanks Phil - really appreciated and I hope you think I've done it justice.

Here's some nostalgia for you:

195333-12328-79-pristine.jpg

Encouraged by Phil I've also bought the Airwaves PE set. Built wheels up and wings out as usual so if someone would like the remaining PE bits PM me and it's yours.

WiP here. The kit itself didn't give too many problems given its age. The transfers were another matter - they don't account for the bomb racks (I messed them up) and were a bit fragile. Using the transfers for the stripes was, er, interesting.

Finished with Mr Hobby Aqueous on grey Stynylrez primer, finished with W&N satin vanish.

33218407042_ee4dd1a368_z.jpg

DSCN0093 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

32559573763_3bffb023af_z.jpg

32559573883_18c227389e_z.jpg

32559574033_4540ed6eff_z.jpg

33218407652_56e4b92f04_z.jpg

33218407702_d873f449c5_z.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 59

I know the troubles you went through with this only because I followed your WIP thread, Ced. It turned out great :clap:

:clap:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Great job Ced! :thumbsup2::thumbsup2: the old Firefly still looks good after all these years. My Dad built this one for me when I was little and I have fond memory of this particular model as a result. The old school Airfix models still brush up well with a bit of TLC and your one proves it. :clap2:cheers Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 1

When all is said and done, this Firefly looks stunning and all the woes you did encounter don't count any longer.

Congrats!

What's next?

JR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

I know the troubles you went through with this only because I followed your WIP thread, Ced. It turned out great :clap:

Ciao

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

What Giorgio said...!!

Turned out nice again, Ced!  :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks Giorgio and Keith, especially for your support during the WiP woes!

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great job Ced! :thumbsup2::thumbsup2: the old Firefly still looks good after all these years. My Dad built this one for me when I was little and I have fond memory of this particular model as a result. The old school Airfix models still brush up well with a bit of TLC and your one proves it. :clap2:cheers Greg

Thanks Greg - she's certainly a nostalgic build and oooh, that box art!

42 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Having followed your travails on the decals of this handsome aircraft Ced I can only applaud loudly, so

Bravo! 

Tony

thanks Tony - your help and support were greatly appreciated, as always :)

30 minutes ago, DAG058 said:

Very nice.

Thanks DAG058, very kind.

28 minutes ago, jean said:

When all is said and done, this Firefly looks stunning and all the woes you did encounter don't count any longer.

Congrats!

What's next?

JR

Thanks JR - very wise and kind words :) 

My next effort is a DH Hornet Mk 1 for the DH GB. Be very pleased to have your company :)

• Like 2

Turned out very nice Ced, really looks the part.

You were brave to use the decals for the stripes. You mention they didn't allow for the bomb racks, generally speaking the bomb racks didn't have the stripes of the serials on them, they were attached to wing after the wing markings were applied.

There are so many variables with the stripes, some had them further outboard on the wing.

Very nice result, and tempting me to make one now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Turned out very nice Ced, really looks the part.

You were brave to use the decals for the stripes. You mention they didn't allow for the bomb racks, generally speaking the bomb racks didn't have the stripes of the serials on them, they were attached to wing after the wing markings were applied.

There are so many variables with the stripes, some had them further outboard on the wing.

Very nice result, and tempting me to make one now!

Thanks James :) Great extra info on the bomb racks too - makes sense. If only that was in the instructions. I'll remember next time.

1 hour ago, tonyh said:

Well done, given the amount of work you had to put in.

What's next?

Tony

Thanks Tony :) My next effort is a DH Hornet Mk 1 for the DH GB. Come on over!

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Great pics! And I think you really came out on top again Ced. With the canopy on she's a real stunner.

Bravo.

Johnny decal.:pilot:

Thanks Johnny, very kind :) If I can find some decent tape that's the right width I'll never use the transfers again!

I forgot to mention that I used my BluFix to secure and 'fill' the rear canopy, this time applying it with a brush before zapping. I like it. Needed a bit of paint but otherwise painless.

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

In the end ced a super job ,makes it all worth while, 

Glynn

Thanks Glynn, nice of you to say so :) 

53 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Stunning job in and old dog of a kit!

Thanks Christer, very kind :) 

50 minutes ago, Viking said:

Great job on an 'oldie', it's always nice to see them being built.

Cheers

John

Thanks John, i do like an oldie from time to time :) 

44 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

That ended up as another win Ced, the stripes turned out great too!

Thanks Cookie, kind of you and glad you like it :) 

43 minutes ago, TheLurker said:

One of my favourite aeroplanes and beautifully done to boot.

Thanks Lurker, glad you like it. I've had a picture of 201 on my desktop during the build and she's grown on me.

26 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Lovely result, :) 

Thanks Stu :)