Sea Vixen FAW.2

I've always liked the Sea Vixen, ever since buying the Airfix HMS Victorious when I was a kid.  I'm sure it was because it looked like a fast Thunderbird 2! I'm forever grateful to Airfix for their beautiful kit, and to Alley Cat for giving us a cool FAW.1 conversion.  Which I must get around to one day.

Here for your entertainment is my take on the Airfix kit, straight from the box.  The canopies and seats are not glued in, one day I might shout it some aftermarket versions.  Although the photos don't show it, this is probably my best attempt at pre-shading.  I have much more success pre-shading Tamiya acrylics than Vallejo, but that's probably just my fault.  I think I have the pressure too high, maybe.  There's been some stunning Sea Vixen's on BM, hope you don't mind my humble effort. :wink:

The last two photos are a wee gloat - after two months of not flying, my wee baby should be back in the air tomorrow.  The weather doesn't look good!

IMG_1922-900.jpg

IMG_1932-900.jpg

IMG_1925-900.jpg

IMG_1929-900.jpg

IMG_1934-900.jpg

I forgot to take photos of the finished model underneath, but here's one I prepared earlier.

IMG_1496-900.jpg

IMG_3516-900.jpg

IMG_5076-900.jpg

• Like 35

1 minute ago, Scimitar F1 said:

That is a really nice Vixen. How did you do the canopy so well?

My love affair with the Scimitar started with the Airfix Victorious as well.

Will

Oh, I agree with the Scimitar, too!  I know it was a bit of a pig to land on Carriers but what a pretty aeroplane.  Can't wait for the injection moulded 1/48 model.... anyone?

I just masked the canopy and painted it carefully with a brush.  The white's way to thick, but I thought it was razor thin when I masked it.  Old eyes and hands...

And while I'm asking for models, a 1/350 HMS Victorious from this era would be nice too.

Bring it on Airfix!

The Scimitar is one exception to the looks right/flies right adage. I think around half were lost in accidents and it was a maintenance nightmare. That said in a war it may have faired better and it suffered the fate of so many British post war aircraft in being over specified with insufficient funds for development.

That canopy is well done.

• Like 2

Hello from across the miles,Skippy - Yes indeed,two great looking models to admire.1/1 and 1/48 scales represented splendidly!😀

The 'Sea Vixen' is beautifully built and finished and the restrained but effective weathering looks spot on to me.

You have two fine aircraft to be justifiably proud of there!

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1