Warrior of the Steppe

From Wikipedia:-

The Mongol Empire existed during the 13th and 14th centuries and was the largest contiguous land empire in history.[2] Originating in the steppes of Central Asia, the Mongol Empire eventually stretched from Central Europe to the Sea of Japan, extending northwards into Siberia, eastwards and southwards into the Indian subcontinent, Indochina, and the Iranian plateau, and westwards as far as the Levant and Arabia.

The Mongols were most famous for their horse archers, but troops armed with lances were equally skilled.

The Mongol Horse is the native horse breed of Mongolia. Despite their small size, they are horses, not ponies. In Mongolia, the horses live outdoors all year, dealing with temperatures from 30 °C (86 °F) in summer down to −40 °C (−40 °F) in winter, and they graze and search for food on their own. The mare's milk is processed into the national beverage airag.

Mongol horses were a key factor supporting the 13th-century conquests of the Mongol Empire.

This is a 75mm (equivalent to 1:24 scale) white metal kit from Pegaso Models and marketed as "Mongolian Horseman".

Done entirely with acrylic paints.

102.%20Mongolian%20Horseman.jpg

104.%20Mongolian%20Horseman.jpg

103.%20Mongolian%20Horseman.jpg

101.%20Mongolian%20Horseman.jpg

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, giemme said:

:wow: Impressive! Outstanding finesse  on all the details :worthy:

How long did this take you to build and paint, if I may ask?

Can't remember, but at one time I was churning out a mounted 75mm white metal kit figure in around 4 to 6 days during my regular spells at home. But that was working on them for anything from 12 to 14 hours each day - while taking regular breaks of course - and doing other figures at the same time as well. It wasn't unusual for me to have around half-a-dozen of these on the workbench in various stages of completion.

It helps that I usually do 5-weeks on assignment followed by 5-weeks off, so there's always plenty hobby time when I'm home.

If I were to be working in a normal 8 to 5 job, I guess this one would've taken about a month's worth of evenings and weekends.

• Like 1

Just now, Vince1159 said:

Another fantastic job Cadman,everytime i see one your dio's that involve horses for some reason i keep thinking of one with the Scot's Greys charge at Waterloo...

Well I do have a large-ish cavalry charge diorama Vince, but unfortunately it's not the Scot's Greys. They're all French cavalry and none of the figures in it were painted by me; they're actually pre-painted "toy soldiers" from First Legion.

Gimme ten minutes and I'll post up a few photos of it.

Cheers

H

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cadman said:

Well I do have a large-ish cavalry charge diorama Vince, but unfortunately it's not the Scot's Greys. They're all French cavalry and none of the figures in it were painted by me; they're actually pre-painted "toy soldiers" from First Legion.

Gimme ten minutes and I'll post up a few photos of it.

Cheers

H

Lovely job,to quote the film 'When you fight the Carassiers boy,you'll learn the art of fighting you will be lucky to come away with your life' (Jack Hawkins)...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely job,to quote the film 'When you fight the Carassiers boy,you'll learn the art of fighting you will be lucky to come away with your life' (Jack Hawkins)...

Brilliant movie -- and no CGI either..!!..Every individual on film was a real person.

Took a bit longer than ten minutes, but the French Charge at Borodino is posted up now in the diorama section.

Edited by Cadman
added a comment
  • Like 1

Just now, Vince1159 said:

I can't remember which but all the extras were either Russian or Italin army...

They were serving Russian soldiers I believe.

• Like 1