Mitsubishi F-2A paint ??

DDELK

I purchased the Mr Color JASDF sea camouflage paint set. I've never used Mr color paints before and I would like to know what is the paint/leveling thinner ratio?

Any help would be much appreciated..

thankd

dave

hi DDELK,

I would suggest that you use their own thinners or cellulose thinners in a 60:40 ratio paint to thinners, maybe a little more paint. Make it a bit like milk consistancy. Mr Color paint is excellent if sprayed on lightly and has very fine pigments, so you will get a lovely smooth finish. Have fun

Andy

Im using the Mr Color leveling thinner. I attempted a 1:1 ratio but it seemed to dry a little fast and I endedup with a grainy texture in some areas. I guess I will just need to experiment a little..

thanks

dave

I use Mr Color Levelling Thinner mixed between 50/50 and 60/40 (60% thinner to 40% paint) and sprayed at medium-low pressure. I couldn't tell you the exact PSI setting as I have an Iwata airbrush that allows me to fine tune the air pressure via the brush rather than the compressor...

I tried the 60/40 method yesterday and it seemed to work pretty good. I also use a IWATA  and I must say that the Mr Color product is really nice..

thanks gor for the help 

These JASDF colors are a EXACT match. They nailed it with the ocean blue colors and I would only recommend these colors if you are planning on doing a JASDF F-2 or F-4

thanks

dave

That is nice to hear ddelk. I have yet to use them as I keep getting dragged off onto other jasdf subjects

thanks and glad you like them

andy

• 3 years later...

Yet another super-late response...

This site makes some interesting observations about the matching of the Creos JASDF 'Ocean' scheme to FS-listed colours: http://kwat.air-nifty.com/nikki/2012/09/post-d88e.html

For those who follow the scale colour path, it mentions that Creos matched their colours to the newly-applied finish/tones, and that they may require some toning down.

f2_08a2_.jpg

Plus, there's always Vic Hobby paints (from here: https://www.msmodelswebshop.jp/phone/news-detail/2258)

vicsv177_2.jpg

vics177_1.jpg

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

Yet another super-late response...

This site makes some interesting observations about the matching of the Creos JASDF 'Ocean' scheme to FS-listed colours: http://kwat.air-nifty.com/nikki/2012/09/post-d88e.html

For those who follow the scale colour path, it mentions that Creos matched their colours to the newly-applied finish/tones, and that they may require some toning down.

f2_08a2_.jpg

Plus, there's always Vic Hobby paints (from here: https://www.msmodelswebshop.jp/phone/news-detail/2258)

vicsv177_2.jpg

vics177_1.jpg

Does that imply that the Phantom and the F-2 are wearing different colors for their ocean scheme?

3 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

Does that imply that the Phantom and the F-2 are wearing different colors for their ocean scheme?

Having conducted some quick research, I strongly suspect the RF-4s could indeed be a lighter/brighter shade than F-4EJ Kai (and other Oceanic-painted aircraft).

RF-4

901a.jpg

905b.jpg

F-4EJ Kai

hsgs7392main-lg.jpg

4crzrpz.jpg.f854087e0818bf17cc7b7a94e786

I’ll do some proper searching and hopefully get some text-based material up here tomorrow, time willing.

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1