This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Bullbasket

A new lease of life for a Tamiya Cromwell.

Bullbasket    1,654

This will be the fourth wip that I've got on the go at the moment. The first I'm still waiting for the enthusiasm to show it's face, the second is well advanced and the third is on hold while I'm waiting for some AM parts to arrive. So therefore I thought I'd resurrect this one. This is actually the first 1/35th scale armour model that I built around 12 years ago. It was built as an experiment to see if I liked this scale, and it worked. But as can be seen, my skills were very basic then. So several years later, I decided to have another go at it. To start with, I was just going to spruce it up a bit, but after some research, I thought that I'd enjoy the project if I did some extra work on it and turned it into another mark. The kit is a bit of a mixture. The decals supplied in the kit are for what I think is a Mk.lV with a D hull, but the kits hull is for an earlier B or C. This is defined by the engine deck hatches.

So the mark I chose to rebuild it into is the MklVf.

Apart from the changes to the engine deck, the drivers escape hatch needed to be rebuilt and there were some alterations to be done with the turret.

So, this was the starting point.

ade77efa-9bce-4d54-b7f0-5ec569f31342.JPG

To be completely accurate for a MklVf, the double tow rope should be wound around a couple of brackets on the glacis plate, but in the original build I glued the camnet in place and it was going to cause too much damage to remove it, so hey ho! nothings perfect:think:

John. 

Etienne    573

Well, not bad at all for a first 1/35th scale tank ! ... I am waiting to see what will be the final result of the transformation ;)

E

FrancisGL    1,708

It's a nice vehicle, not bad anyway, i hope watch some more good job...:popcorn:

Cheers John :D

Bullbasket    1,654

The first job was to reduce the model down as much as I could without doing too much damage. This meant removing the commanders and loaders hatch covers, the engine deck stowage, forward right hand stowage bin, pioneer tools, towing hook and smoke candle holders. At the same time, I removed with a new blade, the four hinges on the two rear outer engine hatches and filled the panel lines as these are incorrect for the F type hull. I scribed new panel lines either side of the hatches. The resulting long, side hatches were fitted with three brass wire grab handles. Much of this work was a waste of time as it would be covered up with kit stowage.

ca5711fb-1714-43a8-b7d2-b79fe4012579.jpg

With these two images side by side, the differences in the two types of hull can be seen. Anyone contemplating doing this conversion, I would not recommend using the Accurate Armour F type deck as it has the engine hatch panel lines in the wrong place. AA has them in line with the front of the centre hatch, whereas they should be 2-3mm to the rear. Also on the SKP hull, it shows where the grab handles go along with four locking positions, two each side.

At the rear I used the kits Normandy cowl and added three strengthening bars from 10 x 20 thou plastic strip. The original tow hook had been removed and replaced with a leaf spring and tow hook taken from Tasca's Sherman 5C. I also relocated the smoke candle holders onto the exhaust box above, only this time I used the ones from the Eduard set and added the electrical cables using 10 amp fuse wire.

418ad4ed-3a59-41d0-8713-2eb0ab737611.jpg

More tomorrow if the household authority doesn't find work for me to do.

John.

Bullbasket    1,654

The biggest alteration needed was at the front of the hull. F type hulls altered the drivers hatch so that it mirrored that of the mg gunner ie; side opening. For this to happen necessitated the removal of the forward right side stowage bin. I cut a section of the roof out using the existing panel lines as a guide, and made a new piece from 15thou card with the drivers hatch scored into it. New brackets and latches were also made to mirror the left hand hatch. The forward end of the remaining right hand bin was thickened with 15thou card to match that of the let hand bin.

16b7fd86-6b46-4770-8411-e5f370e2ff2e.jpg

704d6fec-42a3-4622-9037-c9d915564bb0.jpg  

Periscopes were then added to the roof and latches to the stowage bins from the Eduard etched sheet.

That completes the major work needing to be done to the hull. Just some stowage to be added before moving onto the turret.

Thanks for looking.

John.

PlaStix    11,965

Interesting idea for a project based on an old build. :popcorn:

I fancy having a go at one of these Tamiya Cromwells at some point but I will probably just do it OOB. And for your first 1/35 kit I'd say you did a great job! Well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Bullbasket    1,654

Hi Stix,

Thanks for the comments. Tamiya's Cromwell is a good kit considering it's about 20 years old now. Just a shame that they got the engine deck wrong for the mark that they were depicting. But if you cover it with stowage, no one will be any the wiser. I've built six so far, three 1/35th an three 1/48th with another on the go and two in the stash.

Regards,

John.

PlaStix    11,965
34 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Stix,

Thanks for the comments. Tamiya's Cromwell is a good kit considering it's about 20 years old now. Just a shame that they got the engine deck wrong for the mark that they were depicting. But if you cover it with stowage, no one will be any the wiser. I've built six so far, three 1/35th an three 1/48th with another on the go and two in the stash.

Regards,

John.

Sounds like a plan with regards the stowage on the engine deck! Thank you. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Bullbasket    1,654

I loaded up the engine deck with some stowage from various sources. Some of it is just squares of plastic to give bulk and shape underneath the tarpaulin. The tarp was made by rolling out some Milliput as this as I could make it, and then draping it over the stowage. The jerry can rack was from the Eduard set and the cans themselves are Resicast.

51b5e7e2-dd52-4dab-9fde-b25cfe83cc11.JPG

I managed to reuse the pioneer tools and repainted them a cream colour with acrylics, and then wiped them over with yellow ochre oil paint. This time they were attached using the Eduard brass. The ammo box at the rear is Accurate Armour.

70f4a3fc-5440-4457-8e2b-b5420eb13cd1.JPG

Final items added were the tool box on the left track guard, a 4 gallon flimsy next to the drivers front hatch and a tarpaulin made from PVA soaked tissue to cover up some damage inflicted when I tried to remove the camnet.

27498f69-1e82-4525-ae36-a95893e3746f.JPG

The rest of the stowage would be added after painting.

John.

PlaStix    11,965

I do like all the added details John! The newly painted tools look great too! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

PlaStix    11,965
7 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

.....and they were done with the hairy stick. :smile:

Always good to hear! ;):thumbsup:

Bullbasket    1,654

Moving on now to the turret. The most obvious change here is the addition of the two stowage bins each side. This was done to compensate for the removal of the right hand hull bin. Although the Eduard etched sheet does carry these two bins, I prefer to work in plastic, so using the etched ones as a pattern, the two bins were made from 15thou card for  the main boxes and 5thou card for the lid of the smaller left hand bin. I used the Eduard lid for the right hand one. These were ten fixed in place after removing two of the large bolt heads. The final job for the bins was to add the hinges and latches to the lids from the Eduard sheet, and the triangular strengthening plates and fixing bolt heads either side of the bins.

54c40351-4bbc-4b6f-b2da-c3432704496f.jpg

11953e00-5e73-480d-b526-1c0aa84daedd.jpg

Because of the bin's position, the spot light had to be placed on an extended mount. I also added some wiring for it from fused wire. The tank that I was going to depict, belonged to the CIABG and there is a photo of it in the book by Oliver Publishing, Combat Camera 1, Cromwell and Centaur, which indicates that it was a command tank, so it carried an extra aerial. I made this from some 10thou sheet and a piece of shaped sprue.

445eae6e-332d-49ce-a778-0413d09aa950.jpg      

The vane sight and the aerial base for the No.19 radio set came from the Eduard set. The locking latches for the hatch covers were made from small pieces of shaped card.

9cdd2a68-f85b-4ec8-97a6-5e8eeb5dd1bb.jpg

Many Cromwells carried a spare road wheel on the side of the turret, but there is no spare in the kit. Fortunately, I had a spare one from a Comet kit which is almost identical, the difference being the number of attachment bolts; 10 for the Comet and 8 for the Cromwell. I shave off the bolt heads and then opened up the centre until it was approximately 8.5mm. Then using a template, I drilled the eight holes for the attachment bolts. There are six holes around the outer rim, just inside the tyre that need filling. 

Now it was ready for the paint shop.

John.

Carius    1,407

Excellent scatch build parts and skills.

Cheers

Bullbasket    1,654
2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Very well done, stunning accuracy...:popcorn:, cheers mate

1 hour ago, Carius said:

Excellent scatch build parts and skills.

Cheers

Thanks both. It's been a good way of livening up an uninspiring model.

John.

Bullbasket    1,654

I'd gone about as far as I wanted to go with regards to adding extra bits and pieces, so it was now time to move on to the painting. First, I masked off the wheels and tracks as they didn't need painting again. The upper hull was sprayed with Tamiya paints. XF61, XF62 and XF3 in a ratio of 5:2:2 gives a good representation of SCC15. This was then followed by a coat of Johnsons Kleer to give a nice gloss surface for the decals to go on. The decals that I used were Bison Decals sheet No.35108 which contained the makings for a tank of the Czechoslovakian Independent Brigade Group. These went on very well and this was followed up by another coat of Kleer to seal and protect them. Mig's Dark Wash was applied all over with a flat brush and 15 minutes later, the excess was wiped off.

524a5d92-5d99-478c-9213-ae527c5977c6.JPG

I kept the weathering to a minimum, just giving it a dusting of Migs European Dust and Africa Dust. The other pigment that I like to use on green vehicles is Allied Green Fading. I brushed this on in several laces to give a streaked appearance.

b8b32d15-2962-44b7-9cd6-51d348328558.JPG

I added some more stowage to the engine deck including a coil of rope, a compo box and a camnet. I also tied it down as I hate to see stowage on a tank not secured.

4bd5a770-71b4-4ad5-890a-2c175a572a88.JPG

At the back, I added the essentials for squaddies in the field, namely cooking utensils. The bucket came from a Tamiya set (I think), the kettle from a Resicast set and the saucepan and frying pan I made from scratch using cut down pieces of a ball point pen with the handles made from some scrap etched brass.

665050a8-aff4-4d42-9599-2f9e92663973.jpg

There were just a few final jobs to do on the turret. I painted the padding on the hatch covers using Humbrol Leather, and then lightly wiped them over with some burnt sienna oil paint. The aerials are Accurate Armour and the Bren gun was added as I have a photo of a Cromwell with one sitting atop the turret. The two pixie suited crew members are Resicast, but I changed the heads for ones from Hornet, not because there was anything wrong with Resicast's but because I wanted mine to be wearing berets and not helmets.

dca7c1b7-72fb-40e2-946b-f8c930e78ea7.jpg

And that's about it. I'll put some more finished photos in RFI tomorrow.

John.

Gremlin56    5,819

That is an excellent build John, love all the details that add to a magnificent portrayal of the real deal.

Nice one sir !

Bangor Lad    517

Nice build. I have one in my stash and quite fancy having another to compliment the one I finished last month. 

Cheers

Billydick    690

Cracking 1st attempt Bullbasket .. What makes it for me is the two beautifully painted crew figures ! :goodjob:

BillyD

Bullbasket    1,654
1 hour ago, Gremlin56 said:

That is an excellent build John, love all the details that add to a magnificent portrayal of the real deal.

Nice one sir !

Thanks Gremlin. After the Sherman, Cromwell is my favourite tank.

John.