Beaufighter night-fighter

Jonny

Hi,

I've been trying to find a photo or drawing of the radar equipment fitted to the early Beaufighter, but with no success.

It's probably get way I'm searching (in G**gle)!  

Can someone please point me in the right direction?  I assume the radio equipment was also in the rear cockpit along with the radar?  

Amy info. or (polite!) suggestions gratefully received ... .

Many thanks,

Jonny

Thanks, Seawinder ...

My fault, I guess, for an imprecisely worded request.  I'd already found the pages you kindly highlighted.

I'm actually trying to find out how the DISPLAY equipment was installed in the Beaufighter.  Most references seem to focus on the development of AI or the antenna / aerial  arrays fitted.   Strangely, it's easy to find photos of the Mosquito installations.

I am grateful for your reply.

Jonny

Well, I can only guess that the Beaufighter Nav/radar operator was probably rated as a third-class citizen. The only thing I have is the SAM Publication Modeller Datafile with a few interior photos of a restored Beau that show that area and it doesn't have a radar scope fitted.

Chris

According to Sqn Leader Lewis Bandon who wrote the book "Night Flyer" (a very good read!) describing his war service as a night fighter radar operator,the  radar equipment in the Beau was in the rear cockpit and the operator faced backward during the interceptions as the  CRT screens were mounted  behind the rear cockpit bubble.

Selwyn

7 hours ago, Selwyn said:

According to Sqn Leader Lewis Bandon who wrote the book "Night Flyer" (a very good read!) describing his war service as a night fighter radar operator,the  radar equipment in the Beau was in the rear cockpit and the operator faced backward during the interceptions as the  CRT screens were mounted  behind the rear cockpit bubble.

Selwyn

Ah! 

Thanks, Selwym.  I had a vague recollection that I'd seen something to that effect but couldn't remember where.  You've confirmed my thoughts. It makes sense to mount the display black boxes like that because the radar operator cum navigator needed to be able to move forwards to replace empty.cannon ammunition drums, at least on early Beaufighter night fighters - I read that in Rawnsley's (Cunningham's Navigator / radar operator) book "Night Fighter", co-authored with Robert Wright, also a good read.

Many thanks again,

Jonny

PS To my very great shame and embarrassment, I just tried G**gling "airborne interception mk iv radar" and found a drawing of the installation in a Beaufighter.  It shows the CRT display mounted high up to the rear of the operator's / navigator's 'bubble', and the other components mounted in front of the 'bubble' against the port side of the fuselage.  The  drawing is part of a document prepared by Martin Ward, one of the staff of the  RAF Museum - "A gem beyond price".  Other images from the search illustrate the CRT 'box' and other grey / black boxes.

Edited by Jonny
Correct spelling, adding a postscript
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 3/13/2017 at 12:06 PM, Jonny said:

PS To my very great shame and embarrassment, I just tried G**gling "airborne interception mk iv radar" and found a drawing of the installation in a Beaufighter.

Here's the link

- I just found my way into this thread while looking for Beau (further) inspiration.

bob

• Thanks 1