Supermarine Scimitar

Andre B

11 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

And, the others that have been mentioned by you and the other posters. And, yes, PE is the way to go for the airbrakes for the Scimitar.

They wouldn't even require PE.

All it requires is a separate insert for the airbrake bays, the upper one of which representing the circles that are flush with fuselage, the airbrake panels themselves are simple enough, the upper one having holes in that correspond with the circles in the upper bay.  

Most current kit manufacturers can deal with that, having seen how they rendered the Javelin, I'm sure even Airfix could do it.

However if they couldn't, when the airbrakes are closed they lie flush with the skin anyway, just need to see representations of the circles, and I'm sure the aftermarket suppliers will be ready (as they seem to be with every modern kit) with resin inserts for the bays, and resin airbrake panels.

I'm pretty sure a Scimitar kit would sell just as well without giving airbrake out options, the Dynavector one did pretty well.

Closed air brake area

This build can show what can be done with scratch building, but also illustrates the deployed airbrake layout well

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932803-supermarine-scimitar-f1-148-dynavector-vac/

As for seeing a mainstream kit of it? I think we might eventually.

The Javelin is probably as obscure to many highstreet model kit buyers, but decent art work and packaging and can be a good persuader.  

The Scimitar was a good looking jet (agree with above, prettier than Hunter, but then I think the Swift was), had a surprising amount of payload options, and really colourful squadron markings.

Bringing things like a Beaufort kit in to this discussion doesn't add anything really, jets have a mass appeal, to some a Beaufort illustration on a box looks like another Blenheim or Beaufighter, but again I'm sure we will see one kitted in the fullness of time.

Cracking film there Scimitar, there a number of good films on Youtube now, this one always gets me!

You've probably seen it, but the Navy training film Buccaneers has some excellent Scimitar footage in it, including tanking

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DenPhill said:

how air shows have changed!

They sure have.

The variety of aircraft at the Lossiemouth Navy Days in the late fifties and into the sixties was superb.

As a boy I watched that Scimitar display being worked up.

The mass flypast at the end of each show was an airshow in itself.

Despite the different rules back then the only accident I know of (at LM) was the Gannet in 1963 and fortunately was without injuries.

Perhaps we should send the youtube links as a subtle hint to Airfix.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...