Supermarine Scimitar

Andre B

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Mike said:

Can't let a thread go by without re-posting my Dynavector Scimitar :wicked:

finished8.jpg

...and to say that if anyone did a 1:48 Scimitar in injection styrene, I'd still build the :poop: out of it :wub:

Nicely done Mike! Just something l like about the SimItar . Every country has it's iconic aircraft and everyone wants a model of it. 

I'd love a good quality Scimitar ! At the same time I'm well aware that no matter how we die-hard enthusiasts look at it, the Scimitar has been little more than a footnote in aviation History. At least the Swift was controversial, the Scimitar wasn't even this. It's the kind of subject that would fit well the catalogue of Special Hobby or Valom, if a new one will come it may come from this kind of companies. Mind, not necessarily a bad thing as the latest Special Hobby kits are very very nice.

Speaking of existing Scimitar kits, I've read above that the CMR kit had bad shapes. Were these corrected in the later issues ? If so, how can I tell the good issues from the bad ones ?

I already have the Xtrakit Scimitar in the stash but if I can find a better kit I may as well buy the resin one and sell the Xtrakit

25 minutes ago, Denford said:

Try this link http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/whatsnew.php

Hope I've done it correctly: if not then you should be able to get it via a Google search.

The Scimitar section has a review of available kits and so should answer your second paragraph.

Thanks for that, the page was very informative ! I had seen a CMR Scimitar at a local shop for a very good price but the reviews showed it's the first issue, so not worth bothering even at that price. I'll stick with the Xtrakit one

For sure the Supermarine Scimitar earned its place between aircrafts as F4D skyray (Tamiya), F11F Tiger (Hasegawa), F3H Demon (Emhar) and F7U Cutlass (Fujimi)...

• Like 2

To me, the Scimitar was the best looking jet that the UK ever built,......and for that matter the loveliest in the world,..... just beating the Hunter and Sea Hawk.

I`d love Airfix to do a Scimitar in 72nd or 48th scales,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

15 hours ago, tonyot said:

To me, the Scimitar was the best looking jet that the UK ever built,......and for that matter the loveliest in the world,..... just beating the Hunter and Sea Hawk.

Cheers

Tony

1/48 please!!!!

XVTonker  :pilot:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I rather liked the 1:72 CMR Scimitar...

100_4041.jpg

Even the air brakes!

100_4039.jpg

Cheers,

Bill

Compared to the F3H Demon and F-4 Phantom the Scimitar indeed have the "Brittish look" concerning the rather "buccanic tail"... ; )

A good looking modell!

Cheers / André

1/72 is a bit small for my peepers even if Airfix brought one out; so waiting for a 1/48 scale injection Scimitar. I'll have long left my mortal coil by then. So the Dynavector kit was the only option for me and thankfully the best (or were) the best vac-formed kits available. That's if you can get hold of one now.

Greg 

small%20blue%20one_zps0hbqrncp.jpg

• Like 9

Very smart there, Greg.

I have have just put an Xtrakit offering together, now about to decal it. Not too bad for a short run kit, certainly not like some of the Xtrakit horror stories you hear now and again.

• Like 1

The Dynavector Scimitar does look really nice, even in the box, but the builds above really do show how good it is.

Dynavector vacforms are so good to build, apart from getting them of the backing sheet, they are like building injection quality kits.

Regretfully I sold my unbuilt Scimitar.

• Like 1

Just now, bentwaters81tfw said:

Very smart there, Greg.

I have have just put an Xtrakit offering together, now about to decal it. Not too bad for a short run kit, certainly not like some of the Xtrakit horror stories you hear now and again.

Yes I thing its the best offering buying two at the time; one to build there and then and one for a future build. But with sausage fingers and struggling with my eyes don't do many (if at all) 1/72. And so sold them some time ago. I stick to the bigger stuff now.

Greg

Just now, 71chally said:

The Dynavector Scimitar does look really nice, even in the box, but the builds above really do show how good it is.

Dynavector vacforms are so good to build, apart from getting them of the backing sheet, they are like building injection quality kits.

Regretfully I sold my unbuilt Scimitar.

Yes they are (and were) the best. Couldn't build another one now, been there; seen it; done it. I got rid of most of my Dynavector kits like the Sea Vixen when Airfix brought theirs out. But have kept the TSR 2's as the Airfix one in my very humble opinion wasn't as good, even though it’s an injected moulded offering.

Greg

• Like 1

Denford, you are undoubtedly correct about Airfix's 'marketing thrust' as you wrote. No doubt Eduard(should Airfix ever do a Scimitar) would include them on the PE detailing fret should one(Scimitar) be issued. But, please go to the company's(any of them) website to suggest future subjects. The more who ask for whatever aircraft/vehicle/ship in whatever scale; the more likely it is to be kitted. As you wrote above; the company needs to make money. A large number of modelers asking for (subject here), indicates that a market(and a profitable one) does exist. Ask, it can't hurt.

Not sure as why my previous post got here again; something I did(or did not) do properly? Me and computers aren't always on the same page. Anyway, Tony, I agree with you as to the Scimitar's looks. Clean, and straight forward, powerful, it looks right(as pilots like to say). I may be an American; but, this is an aircraft that I would want in my collection.

1 hour ago, JPuente54 said:

Denford, you are undoubtedly correct about Airfix's 'marketing thrust' as you wrote. No doubt Eduard(should Airfix ever do a Scimitar) would include them on the PE detailing fret should one(Scimitar) be issued. But, please go to the company's(any of them) website to suggest future subjects. The more who ask for whatever aircraft/vehicle/ship in whatever scale; the more likely it is to be kitted. As you wrote above; the company needs to make money. A large number of modelers asking for (subject here), indicates that a market(and a profitable one) does exist. Ask, it can't hurt.

Thanks for your interest in my post: however PE is the only practical way (and not an easy way at that) to represent the airbrakes.  Skybirds '86 wants you to bend them 'the hardest part of the build'.  So no kit without airbrakes and no airbrakes without a kit....

I submit that the Scimitar isn't that well known, so not that many will write in and not many would be sold.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see one but don't think I will.

Rather than tool a 'chancy', difficult and not well known type there are still many, many other 'easier' types long overdue for (re)tooling by Airfix or anyone else.  Beaufort has already been mentioned, Wellington (one of Airfix's first), Boston/Havoc series or reverting to FAA an Attacker or Sea Venom?

1 hour ago, Denford said:

So no kit without airbrakes and no airbrakes without a kit....

There maybe many reasons why a mainstream manufacturer doesn't produce a Scimitar, but the airbrakes are not one of them.

I don't see where the issue is with them that you're going on about them?   Even a kit that doesn't depict open airbrakes would be welcome.

The 'cottage industry' producers of a Scimitar kit haven't stumbled with the feature and I can't see that they're particularly complicated.

10 hours ago, DenPhill said:

Yes they are (and were) the best. Couldn't build another one now, been there; seen it; done it. I got rid of most of my Dynavector kits like the Sea Vixen when Airfix brought theirs out. But have kept the TSR 2's as the Airfix one in my very humble opinion wasn't as good, even though it’s an injected moulded offering.

Greg

They are certainly fine kits Greg, and their Gannet is still the best available.

I still have a Sea Vixen as well, and despite having some Airfix ones, I probably will build another one.

It's a shame they stopped trading.

On 10/03/2017 at 5:35 PM, JPuente54 said:

Or, SR-71s for the USAF, but, 3 or 4 kit makers have and still do, offer kits of them.

But but but but the SR-71 was so darn sexy it deserved that many...............

On 13/03/2017 at 10:21 PM, tonyot said:

Cheers

Tony

Better looking than the Hunter.......................kill the heretic.............:mg:

• Like 1

Denford,

Thanks for your remarks, I do appreciate them. I would also like a Beaufort; I built the old FROG one soooooo many decades ago. And, the others that have been mentioned by you and the other posters. And, yes, PE is the way to go for the airbrakes for the Scimitar.

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

I don't see where the issue is with them that you're going on about them?   Even a kit that doesn't depict open airbrakes would be welcome.

I have just looked through several dozen pictures of Scimitars in my files..I know..tough job..but etc etc..

Apart from landing shots and in maintenance,I have only found 1 photo of it parked with them open. 

No doubt there are more but the point is that they were more often closed.

The biggest issue I see in 1/72 is drilling out those damned holes!

The Scimitar played an important part in Fleet Air Arm operations. It was the biggest,heaviest,fastest and complicated aircraft they had at the time and paved the way for aircraft designed for the task.

And boy did it leak. No scale model of a Scimitar would be complete without a plethora of drip trays and dustbins underneath.

So as 71chally says, a kit would be welcome.

Just in case there is anybody out there who hasn't yet got the message,I make no apologies in attaching this:

• Like 1