Supermarine Scimitar

Andre B

49 minutes ago, Andre B said:

When will Airfix give us an new 1/72 Supermarine Scimitar?

http://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/attardscim.htm

Cheers / André

Would be nice, and maybe if the Phantom sells, it could be done. I suspect the rather lacklustre reaction to the Swift will put paid to Airfix considering anything 'obscure' like the Scimitar though.

By the way, the Xtrakit Scimitar isn't totally unbuildable (I managed and I'm just an enthusiastic amateur), and of course the CMR kit is absolutely superb. About as good as it is possible to make a 1/72 kit in my opinion. I sometimes take mine out of the box just to admire it's jewel-like qualities- I haven't built up the courage to ruin it by gluing it together!  

I wouldn't even say CMR kit is unreasonably expensive either if you consider adding to your hypothetical Airfix Scimitar (rrp probably £18.99) the cost of an Eduard etch sheet (£10-15) + canopy masks (now suddenly and inexplicably risen in price to £5+) and maybe some resin wheels/ burner can (£10+), you're not THAT far off the price of the CMR kit. Indeed, if you went for resin wheel wells and ejector seat, our dressed up hypothetical Airfix kit, which would still not be as nice as the CMR kit, would probably cost the same...)

That's my logic anyway...

Will

57 minutes ago, Patrick Martin said:

An Airfix 1/72 Sex Vixen will sell far better than a Scimitar.  So wait for a Vixen first.

PM

And it has the bonus of Airfix having a full set of data to feed their  CAD effort. 

I can but dream of a 1/72 new tool Scimitar! I'd buy a few 1/48 ones too.

I considered the xtrakit to be a bit of a rip off for the money they were asking when it came out. They probably had many people doing multiple purchases before they saw what was lacking (there is a historic thread so I'll not rehash)

It can be built into a reasonable model  without spending a fortune on aftermarket and resorting to what I believe is called modelling.

I bought the first issue of CMR and was annoyed at the shape issues.

I did buy one of the later ones when I had a moment of insanity but haven't even considered starting it yet.

I have a couple of the Skybird 86 ones and used parts from another which got broken in a house move to tart up the Xtrakit one.

Did I tell you I like Scimitars?

Oh and I'd like a Beaufort too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andre B said:

When will Airfix give us an new 1/72 Supermarine Scimitar?

http://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/attardscim.htm

Cheers / André

The short answer is probably never.

Firstly it was only built in small numbers and had a rather undistinguished career with over a third lost in crashes.

Secondly it is not well known outside the UK.

Thirdly there’s really no variety in builds or finishes.

But it’s the tooling that really kills it.  Multiple surface and flush intakes on the upper and lower surfaces would probably require a horizontal split.  The intake ducts are visible, long and continually changing cross section.  The wing is thin and so difficult to fold.  But the airbrakes aaagh….  no wonder Xtrakit leave them off, while Skybirds describe the required 3 dimensional bending as ‘the most difficult part of the build’.  All perhaps achievable at a cost: consider that the CMK kit is around £80 vs £25 for a Spitfire and even the wingfold is £20 and you’ll get the idea.

There are postings elsewhere on this site of a quite passable Xtrakit build and a real fight to get a seriously good CMK build.

Before anyone says it’s’ iconic’, ‘no line up would be complete without one’, ‘the last of a great series’, remember that Hornby (ie Airfix) have to make money and never more so than now.  As I’ve said before, God is surely a modeller keeping the interest rate low or Hornby/Airfix would have long since gone under.

• Like 1

Or as one USN sailor said "Only the British could build an airplane with that much thrust just to go subsonic."

I think Denford has described why we are unlikely to see an Airfix one, at least in the near future, but to balance that they have given us the Swift which was even worse, both in performance and career.  However the Scimitar didn't get the publicity that the Swift did, so perhaps that explains something of the latter's (somewhat tawdry) glamour.  It's also fair to say that the Scimitar has almost as many schemes as the Javelin, or a Seafire XVII.  

• Like 1

Keep the faith!

If Trumpeter can do a very good Wyvern in 1/48 anything is possible. Given the number of builds/demand for the Dynavector one I would suggest that of all the Dynavector kits the Scimitar was the most popular and look how many of those have been kitted.

Will

Xtrakit on the table at present. Another in the stash plus a Skybirds and a Dynavector. Airfix rep laughed when I mentioned Scimitar at Telford. They must get a LOT of people asking about it, but do nothing. As for low numbers built? I give you TSR2 and SR53. How many Nimrods did we build? How many Whirlwinds, or Wyverns?

• Like 2

Guys, I have read this type of thread before(look for the Sea Venom); go to the Airfix or other company's(who ever you like; or, all of them) website and click on their 'Contact Us' link. Most have an email type message relay, or their email address. Let them know what kit(s), and, the scale(s) that you would like to see. I have the Airfix Swift(I am an American), and find it to be a great kit(unbuilt). The Scimitar would be a great addition to the Post War FAA collection. Denford, as far as the airbrakes are concerned; Airfix could always hire a PE firm to do them. That is the only way to properly depict them(I have seen how perforated they are in photos.) on any kit. Yes, and a Beaufort, too! I built the old FROG kit so many decades ago; Airfix gave not one, but, two Beaufighters; I believe that we modelers can persuade them to offer the Beaufort(hey, and, two Whitleys, too). Give it a try.

Edited by JPuente54
mis-spelling

14 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Xtrakit on the table at present. Another in the stash plus a Skybirds and a Dynavector. Airfix rep laughed when I mentioned Scimitar at Telford. They must get a LOT of people asking about it, but do nothing. As for low numbers built? I give you TSR2 and SR53. How many Nimrods did we build? How many Whirlwinds, or Wyverns?

Go back to my post see why Airfix laugh and 'do nothing'.  It would be suicide.

TSR2, SR53 and Nimrod, they were not issued by the 'current' Airfix.

To the post that suggests Airfix issues the Scimitar with 'subcontracted' PE airbrakes, this would go against their 'marketing thrust' to involve the younger generation.

There are still many, many subjects long overdue for (re)tooling: the Beaufort has already been mentioned and there are plenty of other too.  There is no need to go for such a difficult subject such as the Scimitar.

Denford, you are undoubtedly correct about Airfix's 'marketing thrust' as you wrote. No doubt Eduard(should Airfix ever do a Scimitar) would include them on the PE detailing fret should one(Scimitar) be issued. But, please go to the company's(any of them) website to suggest future subjects. The more who ask for whatever aircraft/vehicle/ship in whatever scale; the more likely it is to be kitted. As you wrote above; the company needs to make money. A large number of modelers asking for (subject here), indicates that a market(and a profitable one) does exist. Ask, it can't hurt.

• Like 1

Denford, I also asked about a 1/48th Hunter, as the Academy offering is the only (inaccurate) game in town, if you discount the laughable Lindberg/Nichimo 'toy' The Airfix rep was genuinely surprised there was no 1/48 Hunter, a type we sold around the world. I pointed out it was a logical hole to fill in the line up, as is the Scimitar. We finally got a Vixen and a Javelin, and a Swift, and who did we export them to? It would not be suicide, because it is a gap in the market. The upcoming guys like Eduard and Valom see these gaps, and plug them, and if Airfix don't bite the bullet, they will lose potential sales. As the saying goes, Eduard's Scruggs Wundaplane earns no money for Airfix.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Denford, I also asked about a 1/48th Hunter, as the Academy offering is the only (inaccurate) game in town, if you discount the laughable Lindberg/Nichimo 'toy' The Airfix rep was genuinely surprised there was no 1/48 Hunter, a type we sold around the world. I pointed out it was a logical hole to fill in the line up, as is the Scimitar. We finally got a Vixen and a Javelin, and a Swift, and who did we export them to? It would not be suicide, because it is a gap in the market. The upcoming guys like Eduard and Valom see these gaps, and plug them, and if Airfix don't bite the bullet, they will lose potential sales. As the saying goes, Eduard's Scruggs Wundaplane earns no money for Airfix.

I don' t know how long to keep this thread going as it covers so many well-worn themes.

Firstly there are many, many subjects that Airfix could (re)tool.  Like anyone else they are limited in output and for every subject chosen, another must be discounted.  I'm quite weary of reading that they failed to tool such and such a subject and somebody got in first: there's really plenty for everyone especially as standards are improving.  There is now promise of a Spey Phantom: should this have been discounted in favour of a Hunter?

Secondly the choice of subject.  Over the years Airfix have developed criteria and learnt what sells: I'm not sure if today they would issue a Spitfire Xll or Sea Vixen.  The Swift and Javelin: perhaps they didn't sell and lessons have been learnt.

Filling a gap in the market: three times as many Firebrands were built as Scimitars were built yet nobody has ever asked for the former.  The fact that somebody asks for such and such an aircraft, that it fills a gap, is iconic or whatever else, doesn't mean that it will sell.  If it really was so important, why haven't Academy, Trumpeter, Revell, Italeri or anyone else tooled it?

Finally I'll go back to my original posting on the difficulty of tooling: I'll not repeat it except to say good luck to anyone who tries.

• Like 1

Can't let a thread go by without re-posting my Dynavector Scimitar :wicked:

finished8.jpg

...and to say that if anyone did a 1:48 Scimitar in injection styrene, I'd still build the :poop: out of it :wub:

• Like 14

Well...

Sure there are som interest in an Scimitar. And Airfix has done the RN Scimitar, Sea Vixen and Skyraider once before... ...in 1/600 scale (HMS Victorius).
It still would be a great kit to build, As was the Swift, Sea Fury and the Westland Wuvern (albeit not done by Airfix)...

Cheers / André