Between the Wars...1/48 Junkers Ju52/3m Nightbomber Austrian Airforce - NEW PICS ADDED

#6/2017

The beast is done! My dad´s newest addition to our homeland collection.

In 1937 the Austrian Airforce bought three Ju52, one was used as a staff aircraft and for instrument flight training (OE-HKA) and the other two as nightbombers (36 and 37). In March 1938 they became German property again...

Didn´t knew that much about the Ju52 versions before that build. Thought with the ProModeler kit it would be an easy OOB thing because the kit includes the additional bomber parts, to say the belly gunner basket and the main wheel covers. Then we found out that the bomber was a "g3e" version with no cargo doors on roof and starboard side. But the Revell/ProModeler military kits depict a "g4e" version. Luckily I relized that the Revell civil version had the correct fuselage side parts, so I spent some extra money on one of the airliner kits. The fuselage side walls from the civil kit and the rest from the military kit fit together well. Regarding the roof cargo door my dad filled the rivets with Gunze Dissolved Putty, it didn´t disappear completely but with the camo you can hardly see it.

The exact colour tones of the camo aren´t known, most probably very close to RLM 61/62/63. My dad used, as usual, Gunze and Tamiya acrylics, EZ Line for wiring. Roundels from IPMS Austria, number decals from Fantasy Printshop.

BTW, the little white spots that look like dust, they are remnants of Tamiya XF-86 clear flat, the first time my dad had troubles with this paint.

Hope you like it ;)

Build thread here

DSC_0001_zpsgudesxxk.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsftubwsxz.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsjpsmxeka.jpg

DSC_0004_zps5munlx8e.jpg

DSC_0005_zpspfksedbv.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsc0aec3un.jpg

DSC_0022_zpsdofcltqy.jpg

DSC_0001_zpsyyakhdst.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsoduiyzvg.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsuosk3roz.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsj2fclfhx.jpg

DSC_0007_zpsgcifqvoo.jpg

DSC_0008_zpstdjyswn7.jpg

DSC_0009_zps7ouje2ht.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsa8fstjzw.jpg

DSC_0011_zps5jukuch9.jpg

DSC_0013_zps6g4wsyvs.jpg

DSC_0014_zpsolr9za9a.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsr9ybjrea.jpg

DSC_0016_zpstl1u5wxe.jpg

DSC_0017_zps5woc5qmg.jpg

DSC_0020_zpshtwhaouo.jpg

• Like 57

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

Top result!

Are the windows faired over in this version? First time I notice this!

can´t tell for sure......overpainted, faired or metal inserts

25 minutes ago, exdraken said:

is this an unpainted? electric power generator starboard behind the cockpit? 

no, light gray painted generator, like the mast

concerning the original, on the b&w pics you can´t tell, either metal or gray

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DenPhill said:

Love that colour scheme. Must have been distracting over those corrugations?

thanks!

that´s why my dad did the camo partwise step by step :D surely an effective camo scheme in reality

21 minutes ago, russ c said:

Superb Ju there Reini, really nice work, different too !

thanks Russ!

he wanted to do a Tante Ju for a longer time now, he started one years ago but that one didn´t make it to the finish

now he finally did it, after I´ve found suiting number decals we decided to do an Austrian Ju52, as addition to our homefleet and besides that a hardly ever seen "exotic" colourful scheme :bye:

Very nice - great to see this version and paint scheme in model form.

Two minor points - the DF loop needs to be larger - as per the g3e version; i.e. almost as tall as the aerial. Also, the undersurface colour would (if the upper scheme was RLM61/62/63) be RLM66 - the night equivalent of RLM65.

;)

Edited by GrahamB
added commnent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamB said:

Very nice - great to see this version and paint scheme in model form.

Two minor points - the DF loop needs to be larger - as per the g3e version; i.e. almost as tall as the aerial. Also, the undersurface colour would (if the upper scheme was RLM61/62/63) be RLM66 - the night equivalent of RLM65.

;)

thanks!

yes, we know about the loop antenna, but often you have to use what you have, should we find a suiting part someday my dad or I will replace it

as I mentioned in the original post, the exact colour tones of the upper camo aren´t known, only green, gray and brown, the undersides of the Austrian Ju´s were definitely black

22 hours ago, Reini78 said:

the undersides of the Austrian Ju´s were definitely black

Hi Reini,

this is valuable and interesting. Photographic evidence shows that the German/Luftwaffe Ju52s in the RLM61/62/63 scheme definitely had RLM66 on the lower surfaces.

Cheers

GrahamB

39 minutes ago, GrahamB said:

Hi Reini,

this is valuable and interesting. Photographic evidence shows that the German/Luftwaffe Ju52s in the RLM61/62/63 scheme definitely had RLM66 on the lower surfaces.

Cheers

GrahamB

different user, different specifications :)

according to my sources the colour layouts for the Ju52s delivered to Austria were:

complete aircraft primed with a chromatic red, inner sides of the cowlings light gray, inner fuselage and cabin also light gray, fuselage and upper side of wings brown,gray, green, under side of wings black

Portugal´s Ju52 nightbombers had a 3-tone camo and a black underside too, AFAIK

cheers, Reinhard