Krupp 21cm Mörser 10 (Takom 1:35)

krupp5title.jpg

Krupp 21cm Mörser 10 in 1:35 scale from Takom. Finished with Ammo of Mig and Vallejo acrylics; MIG and AK Interactive enamels, 502 Abteilung oils, and MIG and Vallejo pigments. This model represents a German piece captured by Canadian soldiers of the 27th Battalion (City of Winnipeg) during the legendary Battle of Vimy Ridge in April 1917.

After my Whippet build last month, I've definitely fallen in love with these First World War kits. When I started deciding which kits I would buy, this howitzer was definitely on the top of my list. I find subjects like this rather interesting; it's a niche (artillery), within a niche (First World War subjects), within a niche (armor modelling). I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite builds out of all the stuff I've done in my short time in the hobby. Like any build, there's things I like and things I don't like, but overall I think it turned out rather well. Comments and criticism is welcomed as always!

krupp1wm.jpg

krupp2wm.jpg

krupp3wm.jpg

krupp4wm.jpg

krupp5wm.jpg

krupp6wm.jpg

krupp7wm.jpg

krupp8wm.jpg

Edited by ScootyPuffJunior
  • Like 14

Looks pretty realistic to me, wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of one of these.  You're right, these WWI kits do kind of grab you don't they?

Maybe it's the simplistic, brute approach....don't know why but it's there.

Keep it up, the Renault FT is next isn't it?

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Very nice build there. I had to present the Vimy Ridge battle at School in Canada, interesting- yet vicious times back in 1917! Anyway you have created a nice piece of art here. Let's hope it's gun does not work as you would be deaf in an instant^^. Keep the WW1 machines coming Sir!!!

/Stefan

• Like 1

On 3/9/2017 at 11:28 PM, BlackMax12 said:

Looks pretty realistic to me, wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of one of these.  You're right, these WWI kits do kind of grab you don't they?

Maybe it's the simplistic, brute approach....don't know why but it's there.

Keep it up, the Renault FT is next isn't it?

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd!

Yeah, the Renault FT is next. I'm doing the riveted turret one first so I'm not going to bother with the interior. In fact, I started on it this morning and already have the hull built.

Hi Scooty

I started on the Takom 12.8cm Flak 40 Zwilling this afternoon.  This is a lousy kit as far as fit goes, lots of dry fitting, filling and sanding and trying to interpret the instructions as to where and how things fit.

My Morser 21cm didn't show up in the order today at the LHS so I picked up this Zwilling, which might have been a mistake.  I have one gun pretty much done and now have to go through all of that again for the second one and don't think it will be any easier the 2nd time.

I haven't gotten completely fed up with it yet, close though, but I'll keep at it and who knows.

That FT is going to be a little dinky toy compared to the Whippet and your MK V but I'm eager to see how it looks after you massage it.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Great looking build. Nice job on the weathering.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

As I'm sure you can imagine, your build of this kit was of great inspiration to me. I don't think I can match the level of your results, but I think it was a worthy effort. When I first started researching what WWI kits were available, I found this one and it really interested me because you don't see a lot of artillery models out there, especially First World War ones (which is odd, given their importance during the war). What really sold me was the option to paint it as a captured piece with the decals and while searching the internet to see if anyone else had done one similar, I stumbled across your build.