Hallå from Sweden!

Scanian

Hello everybody and thank you for the opportunity to join this great forum! My name is Johan and I am a returning modeller. During the last year I have been "leeching" here for tips and tricks (besides admiring all the stunning work that is shown here) and I have now decided that it is time to start contributing. I am as the title reveals from Sweden (so you have to excuse my English). Born and raised in the southern province of Scania (Skåne), but now living in the capital Stockholm and working in the area of defence.

I started building models in my early teens, mostly 1/72 English airplanes. But other things got my attention and now at the age of 37 the interest have come back. My two small boys are a bit time consuming though, so i spend an hour there and there. It all started coming back when I found an old unbuilt Monogram P-61 Black widow in our recycle room a year ago. I thought I build it as a test of interest and I was hooked. Then I ransacked my storage and found a few models that never got built in my younger days. Started with an Airfix Spitfire in 1/48 and the went on to a Hobby Boss Los Angeles class sub. Then it was time to restart my childhood nemesis, the Revell 1/32 F-15 Eagle. It killed my interest last time when one of my younger brothers dropped a log on it and cracked the fuselage and a wing. The fitting was also pretty poor on this one. The last one i finished was the Tarangus Bulldog. Lovely but tricky and it was on this forum I realised that lead weights might be good on this one. Worst tail-sitter I have encountered in my (short) building experience.

I love building a lot of things (furniture mostly) and detailing cars. I think I have some aptitude for this but I am a real newbie at modelling. I am learning tons of stuff for every model I finish. A thing that scares me though is weathering (a previously unheard and untested concept as a "returner"). I might be ok in handcraft in general but in the artistic aspects of weathering I fall short... My living arrangements doesn´t really allow use of airbrush so I go old school with my brushes, but soon I hope to join the airbrush club.

By now you must be starting to yawn, so once again thank you for all inspiration. I just have to figure out how to attach pictures (hrrmm should have looked that up before), and then I can give you some examples of what I have done, and yes there are many misstakes. :smile: For example at the time of the Spit I had not yet bought filler... Pictures are not that great but I will try to fix that tomorrow.

• Like 1

Hi there Johan from Sweden, a warm welcome to Britmodeller.

Weathering scares me too, when you've gone to the trouble of painting the model, to start streaking it in oil and dirt seems somehow counter intuitive. When it's done well it does look great though.

Look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Hello Scanian :welcome: 

It was interesting to read your message. It sounds a lot like when I returned to the hobby.

One if the pleasures of the hobby is that there is so much to learn, and we can decide which things we would like to try, maybe leave some others.

Here on Britmodeller people are very helpful and supportive, just about anything you want to know or try, people will help :).

I have been in Skóne for work way back in 1992. I did not meet Mr. Wallander ;).

It is a coincidence I saw your post as today, I applied for a Master's course at the University of Stockholm. I don't know if I will succeed (I may be too old for them), but it looks like a superb city and campus. 

It would be great to see some of your photographs of models. I would recommend 'Postimage.com' as a good hosting site.

All best regards 

TonyT