RAF MV22 Osprey whif

neillbill

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Someones got it all whoops :offtopic:lol

It ain't me !!!  :fraidnot:

But distribution of the Treasury money pot is another story that would shut the thread in about 30 seconds !!!:angrysoapbox.sml:

OK I think I am going to invent Joint Force Osprey to get the Osprey started in UK service.

It would initially have several Ospreys borrowed from US Marines or USAF.

This backstory lets me use the US color scheme just a change of title to RAF and a UK serial, I guess something in the Ynxxx range as I think the X series is pretty much used up

Bill

• Like 1

Don't you mean 'z'.....as in ZA298 or ZJ137as examples,:shrug:

Dont even like the blessed things CH53 G is the answer but I dont think it's Got the internal lift capacity for long transits.....still all that tied to 'merica stuff ITAR stuff. :dull:international traffic arms regs can really make your day.....not

4 minutes ago, billneill said:

I looked around a bit more and current serials go up to ZZ450. Wonder what comes next? Or I just go for ZZ 900 and reckon the RAF is not going to get hundreds more airplanes soon.

Given the current trend for personalised serials you could begin with ZZ220 

1 hour ago, billneill said:

I looked around a bit more and current serials go up to ZZ450. Wonder what comes next? Or I just go for ZZ 900 and reckon the RAF is not going to get hundreds more airplanes soon.

Have you tried http://www.ukserials.com?

Meanwhile, there is about as much chance of the Osprey appearing with red/blue roundels on it as there is of the USAF buying Typhoons. Zero. As regards a Crowsnest fit, by the time they put the consoles and the assorted electronics gubbins into the Osprey, would there be any room for the operators? It's not as big inside as you might think.

• Like 1

Well I already have a F104 in 56 squadron 'Firebird' scheme, and a Mirage IV in raspberry ripple, and a F111 in 16  squadron markings so the Osprey wont be too much of a stretch.

The B47 in anti flash white is still thinking about...

• Like 1

On 12/03/2017 at 8:26 PM, billneill said:

Goes higher than that - we're up to the mid-500s in the ZZ range (plus the Rivet Joints,  which use the numbers of the Nimrod R1s (thus ZZ664/665/666).

The UK Serials site will tell you the cancelled serial allocations for a number of AW Wildcats which you could recycle/create a different back story for...

Squadrons operating them: the rules are that a numberplate must be available and not in use (if an RAF squadron), and that the squadron must have a standard. Association with the role is useful, but not essential (see 27 becoming a Chinook squadron & 14 a Shadow R1 unit amongst others). 22 and 78 Squadrons aren't in use at the moment (78 may reappear as a reserve numberplate before too long) and would be a decent fit. Going back a bit further, 103 Squadron was a support helicopter squadron and was awarded a standard. You might also use 53 (late of the Shorts Belfast), or perhaps 46 Squadron (formerly the Andover) . The way things are at the moment, though, you'd not be surprised were a fighter or bomber numberplate applied to bring a relatively-recently disbanded squadron back onto the books, so that could give you some unlikely - but entirely plausible in terms of policy on this -options such as 19, 20, 23, 25, 208 and 216 Squadrons present themselves.

All that said, I'd reckon that 22 would be a strong contender  - rotary wing background (albeit SAR), senior numberplate...

For the RN, you'd be looking at an 800-series numberplate and I'd offer 848, 826 and 819 as options.

On 3/12/2017 at 5:03 PM, T7 Models said:

It's not as big inside as you might think.

The one time I went inside one at Oshkosh, I was too distracted by the trio of young and very fit looking US Marines who all enthusiastically decided to help Mrs P strap into one of the seats to really get a good notion of internal volume.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, XV107 said:

Goes higher than that - we're up to the mid-500s in the ZZ range (plus the Rivet Joints,  which use the numbers of the Nimrod R1s (thus ZZ664/665/666).

As an aside to the matter of serial numbers, I've often wondered how are they likely to evolve when ZZ999 has been issued!

Any clues?

I think we have a long way to go before the sequence is used up, there is a lot of back filling going on (ZBxxx for Indian and Omani Hawks for instance, there are plenty of Cold War 'black out' blocks to be used up.