USS John F. Kennedy - Stokes Bay, October 1976

Hi all,

A few more and a different subject. This time a few B&Ws from the Autumn visit by the JFK to Portsmouth in 1976:

scan148_zpss0u3lb0b.jpg

F-14A "Swordsmen"

scan145A_zps43ulteb5.jpg

F-14A "Top Hatters"

scan147_zpsc1tf8xfe.jpg

F-14A "Top Hatters"

scan146_zpsa0o2ewku.jpg

RF-8G VFP-63, I think.... need to dig my logs out

I hope you like and my continued posting....

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
typo
  • Like 15

Superb :thumbsup: keep posting Martin.

Guy

More great pictures, thanks for sharing ! :thumbsup:

The RF-8G should indeed have been from VFP-63, this unit provided detachments of recce Crusaders to the fleet. The RF-8 only lasted for another few years.

Of note for modellers is the detail of the original 7-grilles style gun gas purge system on the three Tomcats. This was replaced with the 2-grille style on the following production block. This later style can be seen on AB220, the Tomcat behind the Crusader in the bottom picture

Another interesting detail: the two Tophatters cats carry on the tail the markings used by VF-14 during the celebration of the USA Bicentennial, very elegant markings

• Like 1

Great set of photos. I remember seeing similar pictures in the Airfix Magazine at the time and never realising that you could get on an aircraft carrier. Probably around that time I realised that the Tomcat is such a beautiful aircraft. Also note that the Tomcats had the early radome.

Yes Martin please continue in the same vein.

Robert

Thanks all.  When I get a little more time I'll get more posted. 

Yes, it was (relatively) easy to get on carriers at that time. On this day there were hundreds of spotters on board ;). Getting out to the carrier and back in the carriers lighters was an experience in the relatively rough waters. It was the Public Affairs Office at the US embassy that coordinated things. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
Added text

They certainly were - variety of types, still many machines that were powered by avgas, the regular sound of heavy props - radials and often sleeve calves Leonides, variety of colour, varied schemes, freely given access with having to subscribe and spend my life savings just to be one of a handful of individuals to visit aviation sites. Yes, those really were better days :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Thanks for posting these.

I saw her anchored in the Forth.

The RF-8Gs were active over Oban for a few days before the flypast of A-7s from VA-46 'Clansmen' over Dunollie castle. The CO was a relative of Lady MacDougall.

I have never seen the pictures taken by the RF-8s.

Hopefully you have some more ?

• 1 month later...
On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:01 PM, sammy da fish said:

I have still got the pamflet

Yes, I've still got the pin badge they were giving out ;)

Martin

Incredible to think that was 41 years ago! Remarkable how times have changed in the sense of these days you wouldn't be allowed anywhere near it.

Great shots and ta for posting. Please keep them coming.