Avro Arrow - 1:72 Hobbycraft

OK I made a decission. I will at least enter the third Hobbycraft 1:72 kit of the Avro Arrow. The kit is quite rare I think. I do not even have a picture ;-)

Will post pics later... In the mean time: Here is the stunning box art:

HCArrow%203.jpg

And here the in box review for those intersted (from which is the box art pic above):

http://www.ipmscanada.com/ipms/Review/fredsarrow/fredsarrow.html

I build the second Hobbycraft 1:72 Arrow and hope this one will be less hassle.

René

• Like 5

Fascinating subject. There's something very 'X-files' about the Arrow.

So much of the story holds elements of intrigue, the unexplained. Nearly 30,000 people put out of work due to the project cancellation. Earlier possible purchases by the U.K. and France, airframes destroyed due to worries over Russian spies...

Then of course the continuing conspiracy theory that a complete airframe survived and was smuggled away.

I found this snippet on the seat that was sold:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/avro-arrow-mystery-deepens-with-u-k-discovery-1.741854

Do you have any sprue shots for it? Which airframe will you build? The first one would be nice in keeping with the 'firsts' part of the GB too :).

A beautiful bird, I'm looking forward to seeing this.

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I just made a very slow start and this will not change for some time I think as I am working on my Motorcycle at the monent to get this back on the road. So in oder to blow up this thread I will post some in box pics ;-) Sorry for reposting the box as well but I think it makes some sense...

35625354915_01bf08388c_b.jpgArrow 01 by x_wing, auf Flickr

35625354845_2d59f7fdce_b.jpgArrow 02 by x_wing, auf Flickr

Cover of the instruction and backside with painting diagram:

34816497373_331719555c_b.jpgArrow 03 by x_wing, auf Flickr

You do good to get some reference material to compensate the slender instructions.

Now the parts trees:

35625354705_7138e4ee0a_b.jpgArrow 04 by x_wing, auf Flickr

34816497093_0abe4e3d93_b.jpgArrow 05 by x_wing, auf Flickr

The clear part is OK but does not allow to open the unique clamshell canopy OOB. The details of the parts are a bit mixed:

34816496983_79736d882a_b.jpgArrow 06 by x_wing, auf Flickr

To get this going I decided to put the seats together and while I was at it I also assembled parts of the cockpit to get an impression on this kit:

35495024931_9bda99644f_b.jpgArrow 07 by x_wing, auf Flickr

I wanted to build RL 201 from the beginning because I like the all white scheme without the red day glo. OK - other prototypes also flew in all white but my initial idea was RL 201. Looking at the parts and the fact that I do have less spare time for this build I will take the short route: Keep the canopy closed, attach FOD guards and build thin in the roll out scheme. Still I will have to dress up the front seat a bit as it is visible through the canopy. The good thing is it looks more sleek - the bad thing IMHO is that the clamshell canopy looks really interesting and I feel as if I just have to add details to this kit :frantic:

René

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a little proof of life. Hobby time is mostly spend in the garage the last weeks to get my bike back on the road. I already had missed the timeline of the F-16 STGB because of that...

Thanks to my son who bought his first model kit all by himself I returned to the workbench with the Arrow for a few hours.

I assembled some cockpit parts but moved on to the main u/c wells which are free of any detail. So I started to dress up the port well with some plastic strips. Beeing a lazy guy I decided to recast the detail and transfer it to the other well:

35495024881_62d151de08_b.jpgArrow 08 by x_wing, auf Flickr

The port well detail is a bit on the pronounced side and will be sanded down. But because of the method shown above I left the sanding until after the casting so the cast has enough material below the "roof". Sanding will show if this method was a time saver or not.

As I am still doing some work on the bike the progress here will be slowly. But thanks to the closed canopy and the simple paint job I hope to finish it in time.

René

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As Photobucket asks me for 399 USD p.a. to show the pictures I have taken on 3rd party websites such as Britmodeller I try Flicker now. Well thanks to Photobucket there is an update to this build. Think positive...

Here is the two main wheel wells with some detail added and the assembled wings:

35495024841_5827da86ac_z.jpgArrow 09 by x_wing, auf Flickr

Next the rear fuselage was assembled:

35495024661_7fdf70062b_z.jpgArrow 10 by x_wing, auf Flickr

Some rescribing is still needed.

As the canopy is only supplied in the closed position I will not invest time in the cockpit. From an Arrow I build many years ago I perfectly know that nothing but the front seatreast can be seen. So It is still possible to finish this build, if I get going now.

René

Edit: OK Flicker works fine for me - so all pics on this thread have been moved to Flicker so they are visible here again. Goodbye Photobucket :party::pilot:

• Like 1