Bovington

Panzer Vor!!!

Just a small point, but Bovingdon is in Hertfordshire somewhere.  The Museum is at Bovington.

I believe this will be the first time that anyone has assembled under one roof all surviving Tiger variants - bar one.  There will be a 1, both types of 2, a Jagd and the Elefant.  The missing survivor is a Sturmtiger: I understand the Museum is still negotiating to borrow one from Germany.  If they can manage it this is likely to be a once-in-a-lifetime exhibition. Not forgetting the Bovington Jagdtiger is already unique anyway as the only survivor of the 12 built with Porsche suspension.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2017 at 13:05, Das Abteilung said:

Just a small point, but Bovingdon is in Hertfordshire somewhere.  The Museum is at Bovington.

I believe this will be the first time that anyone has assembled under one roof all surviving Tiger variants - bar one.  There will be a 1, both types of 2, a Jagd and the Elefant.  The missing survivor is a Sturmtiger: I understand the Museum is still negotiating to borrow one from Germany.  If they can manage it this is likely to be a once-in-a-lifetime exhibition. Not forgetting the Bovington Jagdtiger is already unique anyway as the only survivor of the 12 built with Porsche suspension.

the would need a late version tiger I, something like the one they have in Saumur, there are several around

DSC_5125-S.jpg

and it would be awesome if they decide do build a full scale model of a porsche tiger I prototype, i wouldn't care if it's made of fiber glass, just to have the complete spectrum of the tiger models. 

Edited by cambridge

If we're looking at both earlier and later variants, then they would also need a standard production Jagdtiger and the Ferdinand from Kubinka. I was intending to convey that all surviving types of Tiger were present, not all variants of all types.  That would be impossible.  I was privileged enough to be there last Thursday on the exhibition opening day.  

The Elefant was certainly impressive.

The Jagdtiger has finally shed its old dubious yellow-spotted grey finish for overall Mittelsand, and I have to say I was both glad and underwhelmed. As it was a vehicle retained at Sennelager for trials that finish may be historically correct: pictures of it at the time of capture appear to show a plain finish.  But a 3-colour scheme would have been far more impressive.  I also wish they would repair the missing suspension unit: It can't be beyond the wit of man to replicate it, even in non-original materials.  I think they may have switched the bogies around: old photos show the missing bogie on the left but I recall that the left side is now complete - the side that is presented - and that the missing bogie is now rear right.  Online photos don't show it and I didn't take any of it.  I could be mistaken: senior memory moment.  The production KIng Tiger is also still missing a couple of outer roadwheels.  

Strangely, the "pre-production" King Tiger (to use the Museum's nomenclature for the original curved-fronted turret) has lost its nice 3-colour scheme for overall Mittelsand devoid even of markings.  That was very disappointing: the camouflage paintwork was in good order and adequately representative, and again I think it has reduced the visual impact considerably.

Sadly the Sturmtiger loan deal hasn't happened, although the German defence minister was there for the opening and was apparently lobbied to speak with Panzermuseum Munster about it.  World Of Tanks have apparently produced a Virtual Reality Sturmtiger, but it's not the same.  A space has been left for it, so we can but hope.

I agree that it would be nice if "missing" tanks could be replicated, but don't underestimate the cost and time: you don't want them looking like oversize toys.  The museum's running WW1 MkIV is a full replica and the MkIV on the trench display is a mock-up.  You'd also potentially need a museum 4 or 5 times the size.  Lots of vehicles are already off the museum floor out in the Conservation Centre, as exhibitions and displays are rotated.  Work will soon begin behind it on a brand new workshop building, so perhaps we will see an increase in restorations

5 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Sadly the Sturmtiger loan deal hasn't happened, although the German defence minister was there for the opening and was apparently lobbied to speak with Panzermuseum Munster about it

It does not belong to Munster , its owned by someone or some  organisation  who refused and do not want any publicity  according to buddy on the staff 

On 3/9/2017 at 11:35, spruecutter96 said:

I'm hoping to see it at the first Tiger Day, or - failing that - sometime in May.

You can read your new books before you go  chap :D

Looking forward to Tiger day but any day with a Tigger is  good :penguin:

9 hours ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Its the one from Aberdeen in the USA  didn,t know you were into AFV,s 

Hi ,yes i do Aircraft and Tanks ,also Military lorries ,did i read somewhere that all the tanks are being moved or have moved  and the general public are now not allowed

to visit .

Most of the Museums i have visited in America have been Aircraft.

Interesting, Panzer Vor.  My info also came from a senior staff member at the Museum on opening day.  One wonders why someone might own something as unique as a Sturmtiger and then shy away from publicity and people seeing it.  Nothing to be ashamed of and Bovington is a well-respected enterprise to be associated with.

Ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter: the deal was not done.  It's a shame, but it is what it is.

• 2 months later...

I attended this year's sell-out Tankfest on Saturday for the first time. What a great event!

Aircraft are really my thing but I have a soft spot for armour as well as warships. My brother and I didn't spend too long in the museum as we wanted to watch the action in the arena but given the museum's size and the number of exhibits then a return trip on a quieter day is a must not least to see the Tiger exhibition when there are fewer people around.

The sight, sound and smell of various vehicles tearing round the arena was terrific with of course the heavy armour making the greatest impression. I did take the cameras but didn't get them out simply because of the dust which was a shame but there you go.

There were plenty of stalls for those who like a bit of retail therapy, re-enactors for those who like that sort of thing and lots of helpful staff. We were slightly bemused by the length of the queue of those people who wanted to play World of Tanks on the computers instead of watching the real things but each to their own. 

For the price of £23 I thought this was a great value day out and a well done and thank you to all of the staff for making it so enjoyable.

• Like 2

• Mike changed the title to Bovington

I haven't been to Bovington since I was a nipper, and before I got into model-making. So I'm thinking after 40 yrs it's about time I went again and dragged the mrs along with me.

Badder.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, Latinbear said:

We were slightly bemused by the length of the queue of those people who wanted to play World of Tanks on the computers instead of watching the real things but each to their own.

Did you see the free, disposable stools they were giving to the people queuing?

A great weekend with loads to see.

The size of the Elephant was impressive.

Booked for next year! :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HL-10 said:

Did you see the free, disposable stools they were giving to the people queuing?

A great weekend with loads to see.

The size of the Elephant was impressive.

Booked for next year! :)

I did but we couldn't be bothered to queue to get one. World of Tanks is not something I was familiar with but my brother told me all about it. I may just have to have a delve purely for educational reasons you understand.........:think:.

19 hours ago, Badder said:

I haven't been to Bovington since I was a nipper, and before I got into model-making. So I'm thinking after 40 yrs it's about time I went again and dragged the mrs along with me.

Badder.

I'm sure she'll love it! :D

• Like 1

I understand that Tankfest is a sellout  every year and has a season ticket holder I could go but 21.000 on the Sat was mentioned ---too many me thinks for that place to be comfortable 

If youve being once then the display does not change that much tbh  but my main complaint is the attention given to GERMAN TANKS !!

Yes the Tiger display is brillant and  welcome but 

We invented the tank more attention to our vehicles 

The Rolls Royce Armoured car  drove round first followed by Leos!!

Do we need three German Leos staring the display ??

Why not any of the following 

Chieftain 

Chally

Centurion   

Surely the Tank Museum in the UK should start with a BRITISH TANK !!!

• Like 3

They did a very British display in the arena.

Challenger I & II, Chieftain, Challenger, Chieftain & Centurion recovery vehicles, Vickers mkI, to name a few.

They even had the replica Mk IV doing a slow lap.

In fact this year the German armour, apart from the Leopards, in the arena was limited to the PanzerIII, a Kettenkraftrad, and a replica A7V 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 0:42 AM, Das Abteilung said:

Strangely, the "pre-production" King Tiger (to use the Museum's nomenclature for the original curved-fronted turret) has lost its nice 3-colour scheme for overall Mittelsand devoid even of markings.  That was very disappointing: the camouflage paintwork was in good order and adequately representative, and again I think it has reduced the visual impact considerably.

Although possibly more authentic? This picture was taken in August 1968 (that's me, top left within a few days of my 8th birthday - no H&S around then!!) so while not conclusive with regards its original finish it shows the Mittelsand scheme was applied previously, and a lot closer proximity to the war than now!

35953224095_bfd18496b3_z.jpg

Regards

J.A.

Yes.  I have since discovered that it has been re-painted to the documented condition it was in when captured.  Likewise the Jagdtiger, which you may recall sported that awful scheme of sand spots over panzer grey for years.