P-40B ring and bead gunsight

Nachtwulf

Were all the P-40B iron gun sights offset to starboard? I am working on the 1/48 Airfix kit and I have chosen to use the markings for R.T. Smith's  #47. Now Airfix has you use the windscreen with the review mirror and no reflective gun sight panel . Does this mean that this particular plane had only the iron sights? I don't know, but if it did only have the iron sights would it still be offset? Or would it be centered? I have exhausted my resources.:shrug:

Nachtwulf,

I found another link that shows numerous photos of AVG Tomahawks; if you examine the ones that show the external ring and bead sights, including RT Smith's fighter, you will find that they all  show the ring and bead sight offset to the right of the centerline, including the photos that show the same sights on P-40E's. To the best of my knowledge, the external sights were mounted on the RH side for both variants.

Mike

https://hiveminer.com/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?method=GET&search_type=Tags&page=1&sort=Interestingness&textinput=avg,p40&noform=t&search_domain=Tags&tag_mode=all&photo_type=250&photo_number=50&sorting=Interestingness&originput=avg,p40

• Like 1

On P-40 BC/H81, the bead and ring had 3"25/32 right offset. (3"5/8 on P40D & up/H87)
On the H75/P36 the offset was 3"25/32 also, except when there wasn't optical gunsight. In this case bead and ring were lined up with airplane centerline

• Like 1

Thank you for the response that is good info!

so... Were there any P-40B's that did not have the reflector gun sight and where would the ring and bead be located if it did not?