USS Iwo Jima LHD 7 detail sets Part 1 (53181). 1:350

Shar2

USS Iwo Jima LHD 7 (53181)

1:350 Etch Part 1

pack.jpg

The latest etched brass set from Eduard, this time for the re-issue of Revells USS Iwo Jima LHD-7.  Whilst the model is superb it is still lacking in certain areas.  Eduard have chosen to address some of these shortcomings with this, the first part in a series of five sets for the kit.  This quite large single sheet contains parts for the assault craft, both the LCAC’s (Landing Craft Air Cushion), and the LCU’s, (Landing Craft Utility).

The LCAC’s each receive a whole raft of replacement parts for the superstructures on each side. Before the etched parts can be attached though, a lot of the plastic detail needs to be removed. The PE parts include a new control cabin, air intakes, exhausts, navigation radar and support, exhaust openings, watertight doors, railings, vertical ladders, superstructure brace supports, masts, and liferings. The cushion section and transport deck also receive new railings, along with stowage boxes, cleats, ramp winch boxes, filter boxes and air conditioning units and the fans intake grills.

53181_05.jpg

The LCU’s are even more extensively modified with the whole superstructure replaced with a PE part which will require some very careful folding. Onto this there are new fixtures and fittings, such as watertight doors, which can be posed open or closed, upper steering position, complete with ships wheel, 50cal heavy machine gun and splinter shield, storage boxes, air intakes, vertical ladders and railings. The port side of the LCU is also replaced with PE and fitted with vents, liferings, intakes, which can also be posed open or shut, drainage ports, cleats, and railings. There are also, new anchors, anchor supports, a new bow ramp tread plate and two chains.

53181_14.jpg

etch.jpg

Conclusion

Whilst this is a great set, boy will you need a good set of optivisors and very good set of tweezers, not to mention patience and a steady hand. What you will get at the end of it are some amazingly detailed landing craft, which could be used on their own or with the ship.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1

Another good review of detailing items from Eduard.  You are probably best at answering the following for me Dave.  I have the Revell LHD-1 USS Wasp; although that is an earlier version of the LHD class, would I be correct in assuming the LCAC and LTU sprues are the same in both kits - i.e. this P.E. would fit them?

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave,  I assumed they would be the same but you know where assumptions can lead to.... Don't Assume, Check!  (read that before somewhere?).

• 3 weeks later...