revell Voodoo 1/72

Ok, thanks again everyone for taking the time....

I have to say I'm with Will/ killingholme s wavelength. Grey paint is only slightly better than green and brown splodges for me - it's the look and the process of foil that I like. The historical accuracy thing does sometimes get overridden!

Busn... you're planting ideas in my head with the phantom.

I use sticky back foil tape from builders merchants,

IMG_20170309_230929

And a couple of totally clapped out manicure buffer things and a Stanley knife with a decent blade.

I do work the metal quite hard and there is a finite thickness of metal to work on before breaking through 

I have had decal failure on occasion, and tried PVA under transfers in the past.

I'm using Johnson kleer all over currently, and over the transfers again, and it seems to help the clear whasname disappear.

My attempts at varnish failed and were abandoned, but the kleer, or Pledge Multi surface Wax, seems OK so far.

It's covering compound curves that presents the big challenge!

So really, on this one, the tricky parts were leading edge to intake, fin to fuselage join, and the front ends of the tanks.

Thanks, all

• Like 1

Like I said at the top, I have a half finished Voodoo in 1/48 by Kittyhawk that needs completing, and I ought to get stuck into it while I'm in the zone.

Quite a bit of the metalwork has been done - some parts need looking at again.

IMG_20170310_230141

If it would be helpful to potential foilers , I could have a go at making a work in progress thread through the second half of the build.

The kit itself has a few well documented issues, but I think I can pull it together in some fashion!

Might give some insight into what I do with the foil.

Whadaya think?

Edited by rob Lyttle
picture
  • Like 1

Couple of good pictures taken at Romsey modellers club night, by Paul Adams.

FB_IMG_1489625224875

FB_IMG_1489625248015

By the way, I have made a start on getting on with the Kittyhawk version of the Voodoo in 1/48. Assembled the front and rear fuselage sections.

Sonofagun it's huge!

It's actually longer than the B57 Canberra!

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Planning to build a one, Impressive!!

OK, go for it! Big one or little one?

Just seen your Scorpion on ready for inspection. Wow!

Gonna stick with 1/72?

Edited by rob Lyttle
Scorpion

• 4 months later...

Just a quick revision -  I'm putting the finishing touches to the Matchbox kit, wheels up, on stand, Canadian decor on foil. Many drawbacks to this old kit from 1980, but it does come with a pair of access ladders!

So I've pimped them up a bit with standoffs and handrails and tried them out on this.

IMG_20170810_150513

IMG_20170810_150541

Maybe a bit of refinement needed, but so far so good.

On 09/03/2017 at 10:02 PM, Killingholme said:

ADC grey?- nah, that'd be way too boring...

If I could apply foil that neatly (I tried... I can't) I think I'd happily cover everything I built in it! Would you care to share some tips, tricks, experiences with us?

Will

I'll second that - for a starter what do you use to adhere the foil?  I tried Revell Contacta Professional, but it just bubbles up and leaves an awful finish, so how are you doing it and getting such a great finish :)?