Lt. Norman Hanson's FAA Corsair

Plumbum

8 hours ago, Nick Millman said:

Thanks! My post wasn't meant to be critical of your photos but just to draw attention to the fact that colour seen in colour photos is not always what it seems!

Regards

Nick

Oh no worries I know what you mean!

6 hours ago, Johnv said:

I guess I am looking for an F4U-1A, Corsair Mk II, with camo and a Q like this. This is

supposedly Tom Owens on the Illustrious. Now to find the decals for

a Q Illustrious Corsair in 1/72nd scale.---John

32527235083_36415e3aa7_o.jpgTom Owen Corsair pilot on Illustrious by jvandeu53, on Flickr

This photo is of Hugh Pawson who served on HMS Illustrious with 1830 Sqn. More information about his time flying corsairs can be found here: http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/402/An-Illustrious-Hero.aspx

Of which there are many more lovely photos of BPF and EIF corsairs.

For decals there are a couple of sets about. This has JT228 I mentioned above: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72140

Also xtradecal make the individiual BPF codes and roundels with bars.

The roundel was originally centred using the C1 style, then altered for the Indian Ocean Fleet's roundel, then overpainted with the very large BPF roundel and bar.  Presumably always using the same centre - though the outer part of the BPF roundel would have to fit aft of the cockpit.  It's perhaps a bit surprising that they didn't change to a smaller size, but once the orders came down, who were the painters to argue with.  It's not uncommon to find markings overpainting part of the original - Sky bands on RAF fighters overpainting serials, D-Day sripes the codes, etc - but usually they would be repainted elsewhere.  Perhaps they just haven't got around to doing that yet?

Lovely modelling detail.

Yup he sure does. I really don't know, still trying to find good pictures of 1833 Squadron.

Nick, do those decals exist in 1/72?---John

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:20 AM, Johnv said:

I guess I am looking for an F4U-1A, Corsair Mk II, with camo and a Q like this. This is

supposedly Tom Owens on the Illustrious. Now to find the decals for

a Q Illustrious Corsair in 1/72nd scale.---John

32527235083_36415e3aa7_o.jpgTom Owen Corsair pilot on Illustrious by jvandeu53, on Flickr

My God! He doesn't look old enough to be driving a car, much less flying a 2,000hp F4U-1A! They were all so young then!

Mike

• Like 2

On 2017-03-09 at 3:10 AM, tonyot said:

Sorry,.....half asleep this morning on meds,........ I read Hammy Grey,..... not Norman Hanson,...... so please ignore my comments! Doh!

Tony

Half asleep for certain Tony, it's Hammy Gray, or Hampton Gray. 😎

If you are modelling a Fleet Air Arm Corsair, I heartily recommend "KD431 - The Time Capsule Fighter" by David Morris.  It is hard to find now, but I got a copy for a mate within the past 3 weeks on Evil-Bay.  It's a detailed account of the process of restoring the FAA Museum's Corsair IV to as close to original paint work as possible, and they discovered some really fascinating stuff during the restoration - including things that explain why we end up having conflicting evidence 7- years on.  For instance, it turns out that KD431 has a tail from a Brewster airframe, despite being built after the contract was taken away from Brewster - it looks as though some half-finished assemblies were shipped across to Goodyear en masse.  And the colours they found underneath KD431's 60s coat...

Fascinating in its own right, but I'd say pretty much essential reading if you are building a FAA Corsair.

Found this thread an interesting read. Nick if you would like the book by Norman Hanson , 'Carrier Pilot', you are more than welcome PM me if interested. There are some photos but not many that will help. But a very good read!!

Does anyone have some background on the naming of Hanson's Corsair "Kathleen" ?

He doesn't mention doing so in the book IIRC, although that is his wife's name. 

I ask as I notice the Xtradecal set for the Kiwi Corsairs has a Kathleen decal 

13 hours ago, Paul J said:

Found this thread an interesting read. Nick if you would like the book by Norman Hanson , 'Carrier Pilot', you are more than welcome PM me if interested. There are some photos but not many that will help. But a very good read!!

I have it thanks, a new edition was just released this year I believe.

5 hours ago, MagpieFNQ said:

Does anyone have some background on the naming of Hanson's Corsair "Kathleen" ?

He doesn't mention doing so in the book IIRC, although that is his wife's name. 

I ask as I notice the Xtradecal set for the Kiwi Corsairs has a Kathleen decal 

Yep, it was written on the side of his first Corsair MkI and as you say it was his wifes name. Other pilots had other names written as well from the photos I have. JT371 was Kathleen III.

14 minutes ago, MagpieFNQ said:

I'm just wondering where that comes from ? Is it mentioned somewhere outside the book ?

JT371 is listed as "6A" "KATHLEEN III" of 1833 Sq, Illustrious from April 1944 in Ray Sturtivant's Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 To 1945 (p.455).  Hanson is recorded as having flown her on 1/4/44, 13/6/44 and 25/7/44. 

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

If you are modelling a Fleet Air Arm Corsair, I heartily recommend "KD431 - The Time Capsule Fighter" by David Morris.  It is hard to find now, but I got a copy for a mate within the past 3 weeks on Evil-Bay.  It's a detailed account of the process of restoring the FAA Museum's Corsair IV to as close to original paint work as possible, and they discovered some really fascinating stuff during the restoration - including things that explain why we end up having conflicting evidence 7- years on.  For instance, it turns out that KD431 has a tail from a Brewster airframe, despite being built after the contract was taken away from Brewster - it looks as though some half-finished assemblies were shipped across to Goodyear en masse.  And the colours they found underneath KD431's 60s coat...

Fascinating in its own right, but I'd say pretty much essential reading if you are building a FAA Corsair.

I've just finished my model of KD431 as she would of looked in 1945!

Dave

• Like 1