Lightning F6

Coming along nicely..!

Regarding closing the fuselage - some say it is impossible to close the upper gap behing the intake ring -how did you do that?

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat

3 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Coming along nicely..!

Regarding closing the fuselage - some say it is impossible to close the upper gap behing the intake ring -how did you do that?

Jay

With a lot of scraping of the bulkheads and removing the rather large ejection marks that were in that area, especially where the cockpit is to sit. After that when I closed up the fuselage it was clamped rather hard.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jabba said:

With a lot of scraping of the bulkheads and removing the rather large ejection marks that were in that area, especially where the cockpit is to sit. After that when I closed up the fuselage it was clamped rather hard.

Thanks - I know you had already explained your method earlier but I thought I had missed something else because so many builders seem to have have had problems in this area. Cheers!

Jay

Hello, I agree with the others, nice work on this. It don't half make a difference seeing one with dayglo! I love the Lightning.

All the best,

Ray

Thank you all for your kind comments.

After several decaling sessions I now have applied all the stencils to the airframe. As this kit is for a NMF 74 Sqn some of the stencils were more appropriate to this aircraft than a camoed aircraft from the late 70s, but I applied them anyway, except for some that had writing on white panels on the Grey/Green which did not seem right. Some coloured ones rather than plain black were fitted to the NMF part of this colour scheme as they seemed to look alright. I till have the canopy to paint and then decal, which will be done soon. So it is on with a coat of Klear and a small amount of weathering, then onto the U/C and other smaller parts.

IMG_0091_zps0kvuhpnf.jpg

IMG_0090_zps5hf1k34f.jpg

IMG_0089_zpskcbvf5cb.jpg

IMG_0088_zpsprt1rebr.jpg

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, stever219 said:

That's looking very good but I hate to be the one to tell you that the starboard underwing serial is the wrong way round: the first character should always be at the outboard end.

No worries and thanks for pointing that out, that will teach for following the decal instructions rather than looking at references )although no-one will see it as the model will be displayed on its U/C). Even the Airfix decal instructions show what you have said. Well I still have some spare numbers on the decal sheet so a splodge of paint and I will redo them again. I was hoping to get this finished this weekend to take to a club night on Monday, but I suppose a slight delay can be taken.

I think I spent at least half an hour and two attempts getting those serials the right way round on the first of my 1/48th Lightnings: even turning the model so that it was aligned with the kit's instruction drawings didn't seem to help much.  At least we don't have to hack the wretched things about like we do with Hunters.

• Like 1

I have got an update for this build, but unfortunately PHOTOBUCKET has not let me upload any photos for 2 days now and I am getting very frustrated with their system. I have also added the refuelling probe, but I have noticed that the tip points the wrong way round going up instead of down. I have looked at my F2A and this has the probe pointing the correct way. Surely (and stop calling me by that name) these two kits are moulded from the same mould except for the overwing tank sprue in the F6, so how can this be?

Having finally got that so called photo sharing web site to work, here is my update. I have reworked the Serial No on the underwing so that it now reads correctly. I have also added the U/C and all the U/C doors. As mentioned in my previous post but not in these pictures is the refuelling probe and also the tailplanes. The last photos shows the dummy ( sorry but I cannot spell the correct word at the moment) Red Top missiles. After putting together the Odds and Ordnance ones they had a slight angle on them and they were still not correct as they only had two lumps per missile rather than the correct four. So I had a look in the stash and found a Sword F3 kit which had the correct Red top missiles that I was looking for and so these are they. I have painted the bodies aluminium and will paint the fins and rear part Dk Green and the seeker Black. Hopefully on the last leg with just a few odds and sods to sort out.

IMG_0098_zpsmhb95mr7.jpg

IMG_0097_zpsb286uti2.jpg

IMG_0099_zpsbzqyptkf.jpg

IMG_0100_zpsqt9otykz.jpg

• Like 2