Lightning F6

I am entering this GB with the Airfix Lightning F6. I will be using the S&M decal sheet (Not bought yet) to do a 11 Sqn aircraft that has dayglow on the tail wings and tailplanes that took part in RAF Binbrooks open day in 1978 acting as "bandit" for the day.

The kit.

IMG_0025_zpsqbxj7k3g.jpg

IMG_0026_zpsenlvhwf6.jpg

Instructions.

IMG_0027_zps16aikmnr.jpg

Some stuff to read.

IMG_0028_zpswjploaig.jpg

• Like 7

23 hours ago, stever219 said:

If it's the one I think it is there was a Dayglo band across the top of the fin and triangular patches on wing and tailplane leading edges.  Apparently the patches stayed on until somewhere around rotation.

Yes that is the scheme.

The decals have now arrived.

IMG_0032_zpspljrfgzo.jpg

IMG_0031_zpsr1stl6ta.jpg

The actual scheme.

IMG_0035_zpsokviwmyx.jpg

Another book to look at.

IMG_0033_zpspmydfyjw.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 6

Some progress made. I have made up the intakes, the exhausts and then added them to the fuselage. I have added some weight to the upper of the intakes, and will add some weight around the intake structure. I have left off the nose cone incase some more weight is needed, which it probably will. More construction to be carried out this week.

IMG_0038_zpse3fr5ah2.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Good to see this one going together Jabba.

Thanks but unfortunately last night I had to take the intake assembly out from the fuselage. The reason being that when I test fitted the other fuselage half to what I had built up I found that either the front top or bottom rear by the gunpack opening would not fit together without a considerable amount of pressure, which would not hold the model together if I added glue. So as I said out came the whole assembly and I had a look at what was holding it apart. It seemed that there were some ejector marks that were interfering with the fit of the rear parts. Also it looked like the cockpit was not sitting right even though it can only go in one place. I ran out of time last night to see how it is now all fitting properly, but a quick look did seem to show that it was fitting a lot better. Oh the joys of modelling.

After a few days of scrapping and fettling I have finally managed to get the fuselage together. I have also fitted the gun pack to the font of the fuselage and the upper gun replacement panels, one of which snapped in two whilst handling it. I have left the lower ones off at the moment as there is a bit if room there to get some weight in if required. There is a bit of filler needed at both the front and back ends. Having built the F2A Lightning last year I cannot remember having the problems then that I do now.

IMG_0042_zpseymj6qqv.jpg

IMG_0043_zpstvzzrhca.jpg

• Like 4

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:48 PM, stever219 said:

If it's the one I think it is there was a Dayglo band across the top of the fin and triangular patches on wing and tailplane leading edges.  Apparently the patches stayed on until somewhere around rotation.

I an imaging that as sometimes the sticking quality of Dayglo was not that good when speed was added. I remember our SENGO in the Gulf wanted Dayglo applied to the sliding cowlings of our Pumas when we were told that a Orange patch was to be applied in this area, until it was pointed out to him that there could be one big mess if this was to come off and end up in the rotors.

I found a picture of one of these aircraft on the net from the underneath and it showed that the Dayglo on the wings and tailplanes were a bit bigger than the ones supplied of the decal sheet. Mind you the ones that I have in books show the smaller version that comes with the sheet.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2017 at 10:56 PM, Jabba said:

After a few days of scrapping and fettling I have finally managed to get the fuselage together. I have also fitted the gun pack to the font of the fuselage and the upper gun replacement panels, one of which snapped in two whilst handling it. I have left the lower ones off at the moment as there is a bit if room there to get some weight in if required. There is a bit of filler needed at both the front and back ends. Having built the F2A Lightning last year I cannot remember having the problems then that I do now.

IMG_0042_zpseymj6qqv.jpg

IMG_0043_zpstvzzrhca.jpg

I had similar issues with my F2A in this GB. Lots of carving out of ejector pins and some tight clamping !

On 24/03/2017 at 7:56 PM, Jabba said:

After a few days of scrapping and fettling I have finally managed to get the fuselage together. I have also fitted the gun pack to the font of the fuselage and the upper gun replacement panels, one of which snapped in two whilst handling it.

You are not alone.  I decided to add the gunpack parts to the fuselage halves before joining them, which has given a nice flush fit but leaves a crack along the centreline, easily filled.  Those nose gun panels will sink slightly too deep in their recesses, given half a chance: next time I might put just a smidgen of gloopy filler in there to stop them sinking so deep.  Seem to recall that one of mine broke in two as well. 

Hang on in there; there's a good kit trying to get out!    

Well done getting the fuselage together. Seems the moulds have suffered wear between being used for the initial F.2a boxing and being taken back out for the F.6 kit :( 

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:03 PM, Seahawk said:

You are not alone.  I decided to add the gunpack parts to the fuselage halves before joining them, which has given a nice flush fit but leaves a crack along the centreline, easily filled. 

Hang on in there; there's a good kit trying to get out!    

Strange, I had a look at my F.2A build in the Lightning GB and that is what I did then. I wonder why I did not look before I started this build. Oh well we live and learn.

I have now added the wings and a few other parts, which are also filled. I have fitted the arrestor hook housing which the instructions say to fit after the hook, but I think that I can get the hook later even if the end that goes into the housing is slimmed down a bit. The flaps are just placed but not glued at the moment.

IMG_0054_zps2pwakgxa.jpg

IMG_0055_zps1bp9ebwf.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/19/2017 at 1:21 PM, John_W said:

I remember these flying over the house when we lived in Leuchars.

The pilots used to say that when a Lightning broke the sound barrier, it stayed broken.

We used to live in Meteor Row in Leuchars, right under where the Lightnings went vertical. You could see right up their jet pipes. The sound cracked one of our windows, and every morning they would bring back our TV aeriel. One of these facts is fake.

One of my life long memories, no wonder I love the Lightning.

Good work on this one. 

Look forward to seeing more.

Ray

27 minutes ago, Ray S said:

We used to live in Meteor Row in Leuchars, right under where the Lightnings went vertical. You could see right up their jet pipes. The sound cracked one of our windows, and every morning they would bring back our TV aeriel. One of these facts is fake.

One of my life long memories, no wonder I love the Lightning.

Good work on this one. 

Look forward to seeing more.

Ray

We spoke once before on here. You knew my Brother Paul.

We lived in Hampden Close.

• Like 1

Altogether now, and a bit of a filler fest it turned out to be. The airbrakes have all but disappeared with a covering of the stuff. I have painted to U/C bays so that I can fit the full U/C doors and paint over the top of them. I know that what I am about to ask is somewhere on the site, but I cannot find it. Does anyone know if there is a Halfords rattle can equivalent to Dk green (Humbrol 163) and Dk Sea Grey (Humbrol 164)? Another question regarding the undersides of the aircraft. I always thought that in this scheme it was a natural metal (Silver), but the decal instructions say that apart from the gunpack/ Fuel tank area it is Lt Grey. I don not like to assume, but am I right in my thinking of natural metal?

IMG_0061_zpsbbmenk1s.jpg

IMG_0062_zpsyclh2vfx.jpg

IMG_0063_zpszffu7q3p.jpg

• Like 2

I have started to ad the camo scheme, with the silver now applied. I will mask up this before either adding the grey or green.

IMG_0069_zps9bduo2c9.jpg

IMG_0071_zps2zcxjwev.jpg

IMG_0070_zpsdxffw4zy.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 4

I now have the major decals on. I am not sure if the wing dayglo patches are on the correct way the instructions gave no indication other left and right, plus I could not find a clear picture in the books that I have. Whilst at Milton Keynes show this weekend I managed to pick up a set of Red Top missiles, which although the set says for Sea Vixen ( as it has the wing pylons) they will do for what I want which is dummy missiles and they are much better than the kit offerings.

IMG_0080_zpshqid07zp.jpg

IMG_0081_zpstttioshm.jpg

IMG_0082_zpscchneh1d.jpg

IMG_0083_zpsacesfjnm.jpg

IMG_0087_zpsjxugc9rt.jpg

• Like 7