Eduard Spitfire asembly issues

Interesting to read the responses in this thread. I found my first Eduard IX a little frustrating (and I think the annoying bifurcated cowl in particular seems to have been done to drive aftermarket sales), but it's now probably my favourite kit to build -- certainly my desert island kit.

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

and I think the annoying bifurcated cowl in particular seems to have been done to drive aftermarket sales

Nah I disagree with that.

They copied the layout of their 1/48 kit which has been out since 2011. 

Two parts to enable details on a part that if were done as one would require more expensive slide moulds. 

I think because so many people have moaned about their inability to get a clean join is perhaps what made them release a resin replacement cowl.

Jumping on the bandwagon so to speak this month they have now released one for their 6 year old 1/48th kit too 👍🏿

r

37 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

Ah but that's why you need the Royal Class set :think:......

thanks

Mike

Too rich for me 50 quids is the most I've spent on a single kit even if it really is 4 kits and a superdecal sheet, knew I should have just ordered the xvi combo set, will keep an eye on the ebay auctions.....btw your websites down 

I'm sure Eduard will bring everything out in Profipack and Weekend forms soon enough, so you'll be able to do all the options without Royal Class or Dual combo sets. I was fondling my Aussie 8 set last night and wishing there was some Mk VIII weekends available, still I need to build the 2 in the box first!

On the plus side, it seems Eduard will send me some new Spitfire sprues, so I can have another crack at the Mk IX. So I'll have plenty of spare parts now!

thanks

Mike

ps - looks like the website is ok now.

Edited by Mikemx

yep, saw earlier there's a xvi pencilled in for May, might be the profipack, but that will still be better value than buying the over trees and stencils from eduard. I can wait, not like there's two nice options in the kit and several more on my decal stash

Interesting thread.  I must bookmark this and refer to it when it comes time to tackle my kit.  In the meantime, I've another cockpit-related question that hopefully one of you more experienced with the Eduards kit, can resolve before I finally decide to commit to glue.  Just so we're all on the same page, the specific it in question is the Mk.IXc 'late version', Profipack #70121..

I intend to finish my model as one of the two 401 Sqn. (RCAF) examples flown by Jerry Billings ... decal options 'E' or 'F', Looking at the instructions, it isn't made clear what seat bulkhead option I should be using - part B39 or B41.  What is the difference between the two options, anyway?

Scott

14 minutes ago, Scott Hemsley said:

I intend to finish my model as one of the two 401 Sqn. (RCAF) examples flown by Jerry Billings ... decal options 'E' or 'F', Looking at the instructions, it isn't made clear what seat bulkhead option I should be using - part B39 or B41.  What is the difference between the two options, anyway?

One has the armour plate molded on, one does not and uses the PE piece.

FWIW, I think the Profipack is, to purloin a British phrase, good value for money. The PE isn't excessive and I'm able to use most all of it in a build, the mask is useful, and the kit itself is pretty nice. It costs about as much as an Airfix kit with an aftermarket mask and a Zoom PE fret, too. 

• Like 1

I agree with PC re: Profipacks. I especially like the spares resulting from use of the PE. I've used them in 2 MPM PR XIX kits to tart it up and it's eons better than the blobs on the MPM sprues. 

• Like 1