1:32 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc

It's time to start the most important build of my life. Appropriately, it's the most important warplane ever flown. 

During the height (depth?) of my Bendamustine/Rituxan chemotherapy in 2015, a very fine gentleman from Australia sent me the fantastic 1:32 scale kit from Tamiya of the Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc. The generosity of this man was at once unbelievable and at the same time a beautiful gesture to someone going through a difficult and trying time. I will forever be grateful to him, but I do feel guilty for not yet starting it. Time to fix that! 

Whilst looking over the sprues, it became apparent to me that this was an opportunity to create as fine of a replica of the Spitfire that I could produce. Accordingly, I've been collecting aftermarket accessories over the last couple of years. What I'll show now may not be everything that is used or needed. We'll see how it goes as the build progresses.

First, the amazing Tamiya kit - even the letters are gold:

IMG_1164

I don't think I need to post pictures of each sprue, these can be easily found around the web. An excellent review can be found here. I didn't see a review here on Britmodeller (how could this be?) - perhaps I missed it? 

A separate stroke of good fortune occurred when I started shopping around for the aftermarket accessories. Somehow I was lucky enough to be the 10,000 customer (or something like that) at the Barracuda website and won a gift certificate. I promptly cashed it in on some of these goodies:

IMG_1167

IMG_1166

IMG_1168

Sharing the love, some beautiful exhausts from Quickboost came my way (which may or may not be appropriate - I missed the "Mk.VIII" designation when I ordered them):

IMG_1169

And some fine turned brass from Master and canopy masks from Montex:

IMG_1165

But what scheme to do? There were more than a few Mk.IX Spitfires I dare say. Well, after some lengthy discussions with @Procopius at some Irish pub in downtown Chicago, over some delightful Scotch if I recall, the initial plan is to model EN398 - but not when Wing Commander Johnnie Johnson was flying her. Everyone does that one. Rather, since I like nose art and watched too many Saturday morning cartoons when I was  lad, I was intrigued by the Popeye markings on EN398 when the pilot was Ian Keltie in March 1943. Consequently I acquired this sticker sheet from EagleCals. 

IMG_1170

Those of you who have followed any of my builds know that I often change my other mind on the scheme - sometimes right in the middle of stickering! So we'll see how this plays out.

I purchased the book too - and Roy Sutherland was kind enough to autograph it for me. 

This will be a long project. To do justice to this magnificent aircraft in 1:32 scale, it cannot be rushed. I hope to treat each sub-assembly as a separate model in and of itself, and I will take several intermissions to keep the mojo strong. I don't normally work on more than one project at a time, but even this old geezer can learn some new tricks! I don't expect this will be finished in 2017 - after all, I still have my Canberra PR.9 to finish, and I've signed up for the Prototypes, F-111, and F-104 group builds. Plus, I'll be working on some contributions for an upcoming modelling book.

A busy year in Navy Birdland!   :) 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 25

When I first received this kit, I had hoped that Edgar could help me do the right things with it. Unfortunately he is no longer with us, so I hope the Spitfire subject matter experts will chime in, early and often! I have Edgar's notes that a dedicated modeller has preserved, and they will help immensely. Still, I suspect some questions will come up.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I think the definitive Spitfire build is the 1:18 masterpiece that @airscale is working on. Wild! 

• Like 1

Well Bill; I've regretably had too many other pulls on my time recently to be modelling/following BM.  But I'll drop almost everything to follow you build this beauty :) 

14 hours ago, Procopius said:

oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

I feel rather like that myself.....If the typically articulate @Procopius can be satisfied with gleeful burbling - then I certainly can be too :)

I've just finished re-reading Jeffrey Quill's 'Spitfire - A Test Pilot's Story' and have a head full of spitfire thoughts at the mo; so for me your timing is impeccable. 

• Like 6

wow, nice to see that you've picked a fantastic kit to start. Building one myself currently. you've got a good spread of aftermarket stuff, sure's gonna be an interesting project to follow.

you might want to consider the Eduard Landing flaps. the kits flaps are less detailed.

spit%20landing%20flaps_zpsimtgjvrl.jpg

Eduard's interior is great too.

closeup3_zps61wwcxqe.jpg

closeup4_zpssjjh3er5.jpg

• Like 14

Looking forward to this one Bill,......what a lovely gesture from your Aussie friend too. I had a similar act of generosity from a Canadian friend who sent me the superb Tamiya 1/32nd Corsair,..... so I know how humbling it is to be at the receiving end.

I`m sure that you will do this kit all of the justice it deserves,.....I have the Mk.VIII to build too,

Good luck mate,

Tony

• Like 2

Almost missed a first row seat, here :phew:

21 hours ago, Procopius said:

oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

and this says it all for me too 

(and look, Fritag's back :) )

Ciao

• Like 2

Have to say what a great subject for a build but I'm pretty biassed when it comes to Spitfires I just love them, though the Tamiya Spitfires scare me to death, I have the IX,VIII and XVI in the loft but am not brave enough yet to build them.

And what a magnificent gesture to send you the kit all the way from down under, what a fine gentleman that chap is.

If you are armed with Edgar's notes then you will be in good hands, and with that haul of AM you should have no problems whatsoever, I will watch your build with interest.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks everybody! What a great send-off, now I have to live up to all your expectations. No guarantees, but I shall endeavour to do my best. And welcome back @Fritag - where have you been, Joe DiMaggio?   :) 

@shan - more aftermarket will certainly be coming my way. After all, there is still a positive balance in my bank account. 

I've started to put my build plan together, but I hope I don't get caught in that paralysis by analysis mode again. Sometimes I think I think too much. 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

Well Bill; I've regretably had too many other pulls on my time recently to be modelling/following BM.  But I'll drop almost everything to follow you build this beauty :) 

I feel rather like that myself.....If the typically articulate @Procopius can be satisfied with gleeful burbling - then I certainly can be too :)

I've just finished re-reading Jeffrey Quill's 'Spitfire - A Test Pilot's Story' and have a head full of spitfire thoughts at the mo; so for me your timing is impeccable. 

Alex Henshaw's "Sigh for Merlin" is pretty good too(full of Spit and rolling Lancaster tales).

Think I'll slot in at the back with the other "Spit kids" too Bill.

Shout up if you need to know owt.

No parking it with the flaps down now,it'll cost you a small:2c: at the bar with this lot watching:beer:

Hello Steve:bye:

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

No parking it with the flaps down now,it'll cost you a small:2c: at the bar with this lot watching:beer:

Well, that will either save me a lot of work, or cost me for a few rounds! Hmm...

So, first question. The instructions don't start with the cockpit. What is this blasphemy??? 

Second question. Assuming one wanted to start with the cockpit, shouldn't all them lightening holes in the bulkheads be drilled out? Not that I really want to do that, but I'm thinking I should. I've successfully avoided that in 1:72 scale by virtue of smallness (or by using photoetch), but here they're going to be pretty obvious.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

I don't really like Spitfires much :tomato:but as this is a Bill Build, I shall make and exception and follow it as I suspect the experience will be well worth it.

Martian