1:32 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc

I'm in.

Not a 1:32 fan, but the sound of a Merlin always did  ( and still does) send shivers down my spine. Add  the touch of a great modeller and you have a great build in prospect.....

Ian

Don't listen to him Bill. He is the type that like to create mayhem and anarchy among the people here with such heretic language!

Edited by hacker
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hacker said:

Don't listen to him Bill. He is the type that like to create mayhem and anarchy among the people here with such heretic language!

Oh did l say much like you do muhahahahaha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

...after all, it's not as though they're Seafires.  Let alone Sea Furies.

I couldn't have put it better myself Crisp!

Martian

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Second question. Assuming one wanted to start with the cockpit, shouldn't all them lightening holes in the bulkheads be drilled out? Not that I really want to do that, but I'm thinking I should. I've successfully avoided that in 1:72 scale by virtue of smallness (or by using photoetch), but here they're going to be pretty obvious.

I just realised that I forgot the smiley thing in here somewhere. I was trying to be sarcastic about Tamiya not moulding the lightening holes open. What with this being the kit to end all kits and all. I of course know that they should be open - there will be other times when my Spitfire ignorance will come forward!     :)

Cheers,

Bill

4 hours ago, hacker said:

"I am an Alien, I am an anarchist".

Martian

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jaffajake said:

No idea why but I read this and the first thing that popped into my mind was antifreeze...

Have we finally found the only BM member who is more confused than I am?

Martian

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Well I was going for "Anarchy in the UK" but I suppose antifreeze works well too. I'm suddenly reminded of reading endless articles by Tony Parsons and Julie Burchill in the NME.

Looking forward to the Spitfire Bill...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian

So THAT's what the Pistols were singing...thanks for enlightening me!

Ian

just saw Adrian's post, he beat me to it!

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

OK gentlemen, let's get back to aeroplanes. So, where were we? Right, lightening holes. And lots of them! I had a quick look at the cockpit parts, and I picked out two bulkheads to start with. The first is the one that the seat and armour plate attach to, and the other is the one immediately aft of that where the seat harness is attached. Tamiya has done a beautiful job moulding these:

IMG_1181

Which I could get that kind of detail in 1:72! Now, the ones that look like they're already drilled out are actually the locating holes that will receive the pegs from the seat support. So, how do we drill these babies out?

First, it's important to stay as far away from high speed twist drills as you can. The tend to make a right nice mess out of styrene. My choice, which I think I've used right from the beginning of my modelling "journey," are Mascot Pivot Drills. These are normally for wood applications, and have just two straight flutes. The set that I use are from my Grandfather's workshop. He flew a Spad in WWI but passed in 1965, so I never really had a chance to talk to him about it. Anyway, here are the drills:

IMG_1182

The numbers refer to thousandths of an inch. I broke the 4 and 12, and lost the 28. Bummer. But believe it or not, you can still buy these, including the wooden storage sleeve. I guess if something isn't broke don't fix it.

Oh, I always drill into plastic by hand - no motors, even if they're variable speed. So how did we do?

IMG_1183

I like it. You may notice that I didn't drill out the nine little holes on the horizontal bar on the bulkhead on the right. I'm a bit leery of this since they're so close together. The wall thickness in-between the holes would have the potential to break because it's so thin. No, these guys will get a black wash to make them stand out.

So, there you go. I've actually started working on this baby! Woo hoo!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 19

Hello Bill,

May I sit with my strong belgian beers, if some room is still available ??

Will not diturb;), no cannot guarantee on this...

Nice start, I drill these holes by hand too, motor would be dangerous for the bulkhead and for the fingers actually.

Will follow carefully, as it's a nice kit, a special occurrence and a Navy builder..:D

Thank for sharing.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

4 thou drill? really, blimey that is small 0.3mm is .012"

not surprised it broke.

might try to get some of this type...I'm a sucker for tools  :D

edit...maybe not, just googled them, bit pricey!

I'll stick with me HSS ( at slow speeds )

forgot to say, following this build closely :cheers:

Holy end of the rainbow, Batman!

I was minding my own business, just managing my stash over on Scalemates. I was shocked to see that it showed that I own the Eduard "Big Ed" set for this kit - surely I meant to put it in my wish list and clicked the wrong button and it went into my stash list. I was curious, though, so I went to my file cabinet (all my Big Ed sets are in separate file folders, complete with a label so I can find them quick - what a nerd!) and there was a file labelled "1:32 Tamiya Spitfire IXc."

I'm like WTF? So I pulled out the folder, opened up the Big Ed packet, and all these goodies fell out:

IMG_1185

Are you kidding me?  

I have absolutely no recollection of buying this set - or putting it in a folder for that matter. If I hadn't seen this in my stash manager at Scalemates, I would have either built the model without it, or bought it a second time! 

The packet had a Sprue Brothers sticker on it, so I think I'll log in over there and see when I bought it. 

Can I stop getting older now please?

No, wait, that comes with getting colder too, and I don't want to do that. Aye Ca-rumba.    :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 12