Cybermodeller Spitfire Colour Guide

Magua87

Hi, team. 

I know the topic of aircraft colours has been done to death. However, I haven't been able to find anyone's comments on the Cybermodeller guides. Specifically, their guide on the Spitfire Mk IX in RAF camouflage. 

I'm a big fan of acrylics as I spray indoors in an apartment. I was wondering if anyone has tried the combination of colours recommended below. I'm especially interested in the concept of scale fade and Hyperscale's recommendations for 1/72 scale aircraft (see 15% scale fade below). 

I've been tempted to whip up a few varieties of the same kit and paint them in the various shades below for a comparison, but I'm a pretty slow builder so I thought I'd see if anyone else has already done it! 

Edit: the table below I've compiled from a few of the Cybermodeller guides. The colours in the Spitfire guide refer to Dark Green, Ocean Grey, and Medium Sea Grey.

H = gunze

XF = tamiya acrylics 

AS = tamiya rattle can

Cybermodeller Cybermodeller 10% scale fade Cybermodeller 15% scale fade
Dark Green XF58, H78 XF65, H405 AS30
Ocean Grey XF82 H337 H306
Medium Sea Grey H306   H308
Dark Sea Grey XF77, H69 XF75, H305 H75
Extra Dark Sea Grey H333 H331 H305
Sky Vallejo 70.885 Vallejo 70.885 Vallejo 70.103
Edited by Magua87
Referred to cybermodeller as both cyberhobby and hyperscale!

Hi, Magua87,

I also use acrylics, but have always preferred Xtracrylixs. The whole thing of "scale fading" is anything but firm ground. What colour would you use for the 10 or 15 %? Personally, I have never consistently made that mixes, prefering to "weather, fade and scale down" with pre-/post-shades and washes.

Fernando

• Like 3

On 3/9/2017 at 7:23 AM, Fernando said:

Hi, Magua87,

I also use acrylics, but have always preferred Xtracrylixs. The whole thing of "scale fading" is anything but firm ground. What colour would you use for the 10 or 15 %? Personally, I have never consistently made that mixes, prefering to "weather, fade and scale down" with pre-/post-shades and washes.

Fernando

+1 on that, Fernando. Actually, final flat-coat is often enough for "scale effect," especially on dark colors.

• Like 2

Hi, everyone,

Especifically talking of the TLS, I have seen that Xtracrylixs DE is naturally (OOB) a bit desaturated, lacking the "deep reddish olive mud brown" of his cousin in the Xtracolour range. Therefore, I guess it can be considered "faded" or "scaled down" as is! With a properly flat coat on top, it should look fine, as Sidewinder says.

Edited by Fernando
  • Like 1

If you are looking for Day Fighter Scheme (i.e. in Europe/Britain) then these callouts are somewhat dated as Tamiya had released dedicated colours with their 1/32 Mark IX as XF 81 (Dark Green 2 RAF), XF 82 (Ocean Grey 2 RAF) and XF 83 (Medium Sea Grey 2 RAF) which are considered reasonably accurate. You may want to lighten for scale effect.

• Like 4