Smallest aircraft to carry a nuclear weapon?

Battle

Something (I can't remember what), got me wondering recently what the smallest aircraft ever to (regularly or on test) carry a nuclear weapon is/was? I realise 'smallest' isn't very easy to define, but my initial thought was the Sea Harrier (carried the WE177)? Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I've no real reason for asking this, just random curiosity. 

EDIT: I mean Air to Ground nuclear weapons rather than Air-to-Air. 

Edited by Battle

Hello Dears,

I agree with Moggy, to me it is the A4D-1, moreover, she did it from an Aircraft carrier !

Go Sailor, Go ! :yes:B)

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, yes I agree the A4 is rather small, definitely smaller than the Sea Harrier! Well that has satisfied my curiosity...but if anyone else has any suggestions I'd still be interested to hear them. 

16 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Not being a whirlybirder, do the lynx and wasp count as smaller than the harrier and each other? if so that takes the crown 

Sorry didn't see your post before I replied first time. Yes I suppose they could count, I imagine dropping a nuclear depth charge from a Wasp would have been interesting to say the least! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Battle said:

Sorry didn't see your post before I replied first time. Yes I suppose they could count, I imagine dropping a nuclear depth charge from a Wasp would have been interesting to say the least! 

And be more than hurry to get out of the place...

Could be washed up for free :lol:

Free... Don't know the price for a nuke depth charge, but whatever, it's made to be throwed away, no ??<_<

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Wasp is certainly smaller, and so is A4D Skyhawk, but in a category of piston-engined aircraft AD-4 Skyraider in my opinion wins. I remember reading some time ago memories of one of her pilots and he concluded, quite correctly, that they were cruise missiles of the day. Cheers

Jure

Cheating a bit / lateral thinking*: the BGM-109 Tomahawk.  It has wings and an engine that keeps running all the way to the target, so it's an aeroplane as well as a missile.  That it doesn't let go of the warhead come the time is a mere detail.

* delete according to preference

• Like 5

The 2 Douglases has performed exercice, but the Skyraider is bigger than a scooter.

Both 2 performed the over the shoulder dropping.

Will look back for the pic of a Scooter with a Mk 7, the same that was hanged below the F-84F, that's not big either a F-84F:lol:

I Wonder about the MiG 21, no, too low on her legs to accomodate it.

Let's go for the Tomahawk, but don't forget the B-52's colonel on Dr Strangelove Yek Yek Yek:unamused:

Corsaircorp

As ever with these discussions, it depends on how you define 'smallest'??

All-up weight?

Ground 'footprint'

Length? - Span???

etc etc.

In terms of all-up weight - and overall dimensions - it has to be the Westland Wasp........

we177-wasp.jpg

Ken

• Like 8

Yes Flankerman as I said in my original post there is the difficulty of defining 'smallest', but from what I have seen of the answers given, the Westland Wasp seems to be the smallest.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Finn said:

How about a QH-50C with a Mk-57:

Now that is small ! I wasn't aware of this, this picture made me look for some more info and it's a fascinating subject. Guess this qualifies as the smaller "aircraft" to carry a nuclear weapon

8 minutes ago, XL929 said:

Going off topic a bit, but I don't think I've seen an F-8 in a US low-viz scheme before!

Nice.:wub:

The last few RF-8Gs did carry this scheme for a few years. Looks very unusual compared to the better known colourful schemes carried by the Crusaders but IMHO the RF-8 still manage to be elegant in this scheme

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2017 at 7:17 AM, ejboyd5 said:

Was a live weapon ever deployed from one of these airframes or did the capability exist as a design concept and inert carry only?

Never live dropped from an A-4 but USN A-4's certainly stood alert on carriers with live weapons, either in times of crisis or for SIOP commitments. There is one at the bottom of the Phillippine Sea with the bomb still attached:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_Philippine_Sea_A-4_incident