WIP: 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk.VIII double build!

Two at once... Aussie spits coming up. (for the next 10 years, at my building speed) I'm building these for a customer and am enjoying the build so far. Personally, the Eduard spit kit might be one of my favorite kits to build. 

IMG_9865.jpgimages hosting

IMG_9976.jpgimages hosting

IMG_9925.jpgimages hosting

IMG_9980.jpgimages hosting

Thanks for looking!

Edited by ronnierex
  • Like 10

Dual Aussie VIII:s?

I see no issues with this (must not start another myself...I'm supposed to focus on other stuff)

It looks good too, but there is just one tiny detail....late marks Spits AFAIK were not painted internally behind the rear seat armour.

But it's you model and no need to change anything due to my hearsay :wink:

What kind of markings are you aiming at?

• Like 1

Wow,....great start,......good luck with these, you cannot go wrong with a couple of Aussie Eights and the kits are beauties,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

On 3/9/2017 at 1:57 AM, Christer A said:

Dual Aussie VIII:s?

I see no issues with this (must not start another myself...I'm supposed to focus on other stuff)

It looks good too, but there is just one tiny detail....late marks Spits AFAIK were not painted internally behind the rear seat armour.

But it's you model and no need to change anything due to my hearsay :wink:

What kind of markings are you aiming at?

Thanks for the NMF rear cockpit section reminder. I have done that in the past, but most of it couldn't be seen, so I haven't done that recently. I may paint the rear bulkhead that actually sticks up in the rear window to give the impression that it's bare metal back there.

As for markings, I'm doing an NMF and toothed one. :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Cockpits were finished up:

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

Assembled:

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

Painting the lowers:

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

I don't have RAAF sky blue, so I used something I believe is close. Should work.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by ronnierex
  • Like 7

The MSG was kinda dark. I "black" based it over a dark gray instead of black to help lighten the final coat, but I think it's still too dark, so I worked on lightening the MSG. I think it looks better now and not as much contrast between MSG and sky blue.

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

The other 8 will be NMF and I haven't done one of those yet. So someone told me to use a tamiya rattle can as a base and then build up some alcald or similar on top.

AS-12 bare metal silver

IMG_0735.jpg

Then I used duraluminum and white aluminum alclad shades (and a mix of the two) to paint panels. 

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

So far so good... now the lowers.

Thanks!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Christer A said:

Now that looks very tasty!

Very effective blackbasing too.

Barracuda or Ultracast engine covers by the way?

Thanks! One of the covers is Barracuda and the other is ultracast and I can't remember which one is which. :)

• Haha 1

Paint updates: 

I added the anti-glare panel to the NMF and finished the rest of the shark mouth scheme. 

IMG_0776_zpscmatt4mh.jpg

FullSizeRender%203_zps2t2bchn8.jpg

FullSizeRender%204_zpspighkkdg.jpg

Switching back and forth between the four camo colors was tiring, but I like how the different shades came out. 

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

I somehow missed this build at the start but have found you now. I see you've replaced the upper cowlings it's the only weak point in an otherwise excellent kit.

The colour schemes are both great and I can imagine how very time consuming the camouflaged one must have been.

Looking forward to the decals

John

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2017 at 3:24 AM, Flyingdutchman said:

I'm really enjoying your build. I have an Eduard Spit in stash and can't wait to start when I see yours. The NMF spit looks excellent, very subtle different tones in the metal range well done!

Cheers, Evert

The Eduard Spitfire is a great kit to build. These will be number 3 and 4 that I've built. I appreciate the fit and the engineering. The two part cowl top and lower chin/scoop can make for some frustrating seam filling, but in the end it's ok. I will be building more for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing your build sometime soon.

Headed to decals:

996_DCC00-7732-4_B84-96_E8-45_F7_B349_F2

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...