1/48 Su-101 & Su-102 replicating the GPW in styrene

When the Russians realised that having a turreted tank and an SPG on the same chassis carrying the same gun was rather silly they decided that they'd better try harder. The first attempt was putting the long 122mm gun in. This looked really silly and the barrel tended to dig into the ground at every pothole.

Plan B: The next best thing was the 100mm gun. Two versions were trialled one, sensibly, used the existing design modified for the bigger gun. This was the Su-100. The other showed a streak of madness persisted. The Su-101 had the gun in a casement at the rear with no depression. Interesting concept. The engine was in the centre and following the success of the Su-76 the driver sat alongside it, this enabled him to tell if the engine was running easily as he was deafened, suffocated and baked all at once. At least there was nearly no chance of digging the gun barrel in....

The Germans favoured the Su-101 as they saw it would be a great asset for the Wehrmacht, the Red Army took another view entirely, the prototype ended up in Kubinka presumably as an example of what to design if you wanted a bracing stay in an Arctic 'Re-education' Facility, and the Su-100 got built instead.

This will be mostly plastic card, colourful language and running gear from HobbyBoss or Tamiya whichever shows up first when I go stash mining.

tumblr_omi5h1cj2k1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

Just to be sure it's the beast in front, the other is far too sensible.

Modelist Constructor 2/2002 has decent drawings showing it was based on the T-44 with torsion bar suspension and I've been promised pictures of the Kubinka vehicle to supplement those on the web.    

• Like 8

While waiting for Gannet COD parts to harden I donned my safety gear and descended to the SleeperStashMine. I emerged with a box containing various T-34 bits here

tumblr_omn7b5qCsS1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

I think that I'll end up using the running gear only so it looks like a mix of new and reclaimed Tamiya running gear. The SoD T-34T will be useful for final drive details either as a pattern or donor. Somewhere I have a 35th 85mm barrel that should work for the 48th 100mm but it currently eludes me. My last set of WW2 productions tracks may get used here depending on how well the HB or Tamiya link and length work. 

To the Plastic Card Comrades! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That's a pretty good trawl through the stash mine. Looks like an interesting project!

Regards,

Adrian

Compared to your entry it's a piece of cake!

I've made a start on it but, being white plastic card I'm struggling to get a decent photo. My technical expert is popping round later though.

• Like 1

Greetings Comrades

Got a good start to this project as you can see

tumblr_omr15xA5YE1t8blhlo2_1280.jpg

Lower hull assembled from lovingly crafted 1.0mm plastic-card. Bit of detailing with thinner stuff and some Grandt #15 bolts (they're not very good but this is the hull floor). The opening at the front will be concealed by the torsion bar mounts and would be a bear to plate over. However I have got more to do than when I started...

tumblr_omr15xA5YE1t8blhlo3_1280.jpg

There was also the Su-102 which had a long 122mm gun so after a chat with @Shermaniac I was persuaded to make both. There was a third bare hull used for penetration tests which I won't do. That would be silly. BTW these SU... designations were planned but the vehicles were referred to as Uralmash 1 while being developed. Amazingly the 122mm gun caused issues with the mount cracking, this was reckoned to be curable. I've no idea how the loader coped in that one...

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff. Now the SU 102 too :o!

I'm in awe; starting with a few wheels and building the rest! 

Another one on this GB where Im

sure many of us are learning both about history  and model making :).

I do feel sorry for the drivers in these vehicles. 

Great subject for the Group Build SleeperService; thank you for entering this, Im looking forward to seeing them emerge magically from what appears to be thin air :D!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Great stuff. Now the SU 102 too :o!

I'm in awe; starting with a few wheels and building the rest! 

Another one on this GB where Im

sure many of us are learning both about  and model making :).

I do feel sorry for the drivers in these vehicles. 

Great subject for the Group Build SleeperService; thank you for entering this, Im looking forward to seeing them emerge magically from what appears to be thin air :D!

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony. Look what you've started!!

The drivers suffered somewhat during the summer part of the trials often passing out. Your comment has given me an idea for the crew...

According to my Brother who knows about such things styrene itself is made by combining some waste gases from other parts of the refining process so it really does come out of thin air (like) so to speak.

I'm experimenting with suspension mounts while I get the second hull caught up and both tidied before proceeding.

The HobbyBoss tracks are not good, very thin, plagued with ejector pin marks and a bear to glue as the contact area is tiny. I'm off to check OKB Grigorov for replacements for the straight runs using WW2 links for the drives/corners. If not it'll be Tamiya but I have many T-34s to build.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

According to my Brother who knows about such things styrene itself is made by combining some waste gases from other parts of the refining process so it really does come out of thin air (like) so to speak.

Now I can truthfully tell Mrs. T that my stash came out of thin air (not the joint piggy bank) :D!!

Somehow the word 'history' was missing from my post. Apologies.

Learning about that is so good too (IMHO). Those like me that aren't in the know may look at pictures of these vehicles, but I for one wouldn't have known that the drivers had to suffer like this due to the design.

I remember making British WWI tanks (the Airfix ones) as a wee lad. Thought nothing much about them, just historic 'tanks'; military vehicles.

Then I went to a museum where it was allowed to look inside one (Bovington I think), aged 15. At that point; noise, heat, Carbon Monoxide fumes all became a clear factor in what a hell these, and many tanks must have been for the crews.

It adds a whole new dimension to making models of them.

Builds like this bring it home for those of us not able to get to museums :).

Great stuff.

TonyT

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Now I can truthfully tell Mrs. T that my stash came out of thin air (not the joint piggy bank) :D!!

Builds like this bring it home for those of us not able to get to museums :).

Great stuff.

TonyT

Let us know if it works or, if not, ensure the hospital has internet connectivity :chair:

Wandering off topic a bit. I built models badly as a kid but got really interested when I did a project at Technical College. Among the subjects was 'tank'. I duly brought and assembled some Airfix offerings painted them and did my presentation to a bemused panel. By 'tank' they meant 'cistern', however I was awarded a Distinction so it all came out OK. My mate did the same course three years later picked 'kettles' and was amused to see 'tank' still there....

BOT: OKB offer several winter tracks but not the 'waffle' pattern however Komplect ZIP do have what I need so I'll be ordering them shortly. I think I'll go for winter tracks on one though just to be different.... 

• Like 2

Hello Everybody...I'm Back!!:jump_fire:

Well here's where I'm at now

tumblr_op7wkpDHY51t8blhlo2_1280.jpg

Finally managed to get the bulk of the body made up. The rear panels are a complete PITA. So awkward that BlobbyBuss didn't manage to get it right! However they are both the same so far which is a result. 

The OKB tracks arrived in very good time so the donor T-34 SoD became a revived project. They are beautifully moulded in several lengths which you glue together and use warm water to wrap round the idler/sprocket. On the other sets I've used this has been good but the T-34 plates curved no matter what I tried. he solution was quick and easy thought I used a new scalpel blade and cut through the joints to give me some individual links. Cleaned up and aligned with tape then went on beautifully. They look great and the whole process took about 90 minutes. I'm very happy with them. 

Next step is to build the suspensions on these two using a technique I've developed in my head which may work better than my earlier attempt using plastic. We'll see.

Have fun y'all

• Like 7

On 09/03/2017 at 2:43 AM, SleeperService said:

Interesting concept.

indeed!

A great introduction thanks.

On 27/03/2017 at 2:34 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

Great subject for the Group Build SleeperService; thank you for entering this

Agreed. An alarming design. A flightless 'Farley Fruitbat' ...

Good to see more scratch building underway in this group build.

On 13/03/2017 at 10:11 PM, SleeperService said:

Lower hull assembled from lovingly crafted 1.0mm plastic-card.

1mm at 1/48 is very conveniently scaled for armour .. very little at that usable thickness when crafting something for an aircraft!

On 13/03/2017 at 10:11 PM, SleeperService said:

I was persuaded to make both.

Excellent.

13 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Have fun y'all

Double fun for us thank you!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Gang! Long time no post. Sorry been very busy at Sleeper Central with health issues and everything else. But here is where I am today;

First two images highlight the tracks as exdraken requested. The first set are my reclaimed Tamiya tracks and running gear from a scrap model. tumblr_os9eycTWqK1t8blhlo4_1280.jpg

Another shot also including the OKB Grigorov  winter tracks I'll be using on the second hull. I have started prepping the running gear but will keep it aside until the first set is on. As you can see I've got all the welds on except around the cupola base and the track tensioner part-done. The suspensions are finally built:yahoo:and I will be honest and say that is the most boring part done. Twenty assemblies each 11 parts 99% of which will be concealed :mental:However all good practice for future works I suppose :shrug:

tumblr_os9eycTWqK1t8blhlo3_1280.jpg

Here we have a close up of the triple damned suspension and drive. The rear tensioner/idler will be fitted when the track goes on, makes life a lot simpler. I did the welds using Salter's rod soaked in glue then worked with a tiny screwdriver. A lot of effort but, on this vehicle at least, worth the time IMHO. The strips on the upper sides are to locate the mudguards. I've made that mistake before.

tumblr_os9eycTWqK1t8blhlo2_1280.jpg

Final image is the start of the castings for the gun mounts. A centre profile then a box of 1mm and 2mm sheet from the scrap box. Once glued and solid it can be sanded to shape. I intend to use Miliput to make the mantles around a tube core. It may work it may not. The beginnings of the engine decks are here there's as much work on them as the rest of the build now. 

tumblr_os9eycTWqK1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

That's it for now folks! As I'm off-work due to a flare up of arthritis in my foot, there are no markings, and nothing can be as tedious as the suspension I hope to make good progress now.

PLEA FOR HELP: I need 2 DhsK machine guns for the cupola on these beasts. I've scoured Shapeways and the rest with no luck. I have found what I want in other scales but have yet to have a reply about them being resized to 48th. If anybody knows of a current source I'd be grateful. I could use a couple more on other projects as well.

• Like 1

Greetings Comrades.

Have I been having SPG fun? No I hate these models :rant: Yes I enjoy a challenge because of the opportunity one affords to improve my ability in so many areas :cyclops:. It has been as case of two step forwards, two back, one forward, pause, one back and on and on. Anyway enough of my ineptitude what have I achieved?

tumblr_otfuzyVk3T1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

General overview of the current situation. In the pegs are the third attempt at the driver's cupola, the second version of the engine decks (with the scar of a previous cupola attempt), and the HB T-34 roadwheels because the Tamiya ones are the early type and I need the late ones. At least I noticed before attaching them:rofl:

tumblr_otfuzyVk3T1t8blhlo2_1280.jpg

Hull bottoms primed and fettled with trackguards from a coke can. One axle has broken off but I didn't notice before it had scuttled away to hide. Easier and quicker to make a new one methinks.

tumblr_otfuzyVk3T1t8blhlo3_1280.jpg

Upper works. The rear needs the smoke dischargers which is today's task. I've finally got my head round the track tensioner covers and the details on the sides so they're next. The roof is straight-forward and I've got some Dust 1947 Russian weapons sets with DhsK machine guns which are styrene and should detail up OK. My good mate Jim Hill is machining my 35th 90mm Pershing and Su-85 for the 122 and 100mm guns. There's 7 feet of Salters 10thou rod as weld seams on those two I nearly lost the will to live and it took ages. However I'm quite happy with the effect so that's OK. 
I'm glad I opted for these but perhaps I have overreached as they're my first scratch-build in a very long time and I underestimated the time it took to get this far. I'll keep this thread going to completion and I hope it won't be long. 

I have rethought some other GB entries to avoid yet more 'failed-to-finish' reports:doh:  

• Like 2

On 21/07/2017 at 10:01 PM, SleeperService said:

There's 7 feet of Salters 10thou rod as weld seams on those two I nearly lost the will to live and it took ages. However I'm quite happy with the effect so that's OK. 

Seven feet :o!!?? 

That's tenacity, it really is. Well done that man.

I hope the athritis abates soon. I have it too; 'haemarthropathy'. The fact that you've been able to scratch build these to this level is testament to perseverance and skill. I really like the Coke can wheel guards, they look absolutely 'right'.

I'm glad to hear that you sourced the machine guns. I knew of a company that made them in 1/72, but not 1/48. I'm stuck with the 1/72 ones as I can't figure out how the sights go on the end; the instructions are confusing (photo etch). I'll watch your build and hopefully learn how they are supposed to look :).

Thanks for this great thread, long may it continue, they're getting there for sure.

Have a nice rest of Sunday

Best regards :bye: 

TonyT

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

As you may have gathered this went into the BoxesofDoom soon after the last post. However I'm trying again with better plans, lots more photos Thanks to @shadomobile and a much better mindstate thanks to Sertraline and Ramipril. The new thread is HERE, if you're bothered/interested. It may be yet another fail to finish, I hope not.