1980's Front Line Asia GB chat

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Yeah it really does make you wonder doesn't it, having spent a fair amount of time looking at Soviet camo schemes the only standard thing about them seems to be that there is no standard scheme. 

I have just had a look at my Hikoki book on Soviet Naval Aviation and there on page 210 there are some pictures (granted in black and white) showing what it says are Su-17's from the 173rd at Pristan! Some are the early Su-17M and others the Su-17M3 in the usual colour scheme, the Su-17 has red codes (60 and 61 etc) and the M-3 blue codes (08, 05), one of the colour profiles has the -17M red 61 having the AVMF flag in front of the bort number.

are you able to scan a photo of the M3, prob best to PM it to me least we upset someone! :whistle: Would be nice to have another naval one to go with "Blue 09".

DSCF0914_zps20fc45ec.jpg

I may have to get myself that book as I have a feeling I may end up building a few more 17's after the next two!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Modelsvit have one of the -M's as an option in their kit;

https://www.model-making.eu/products/Soviet-fighter-bomber-Sukhoi-Su-17M.html

now if someone was to do this in 1/48th......maybe HK will.......when the fix up the errors in the M4 version!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

now if someone was to do this in 1/48th......maybe HK will.......when the fix up the errors in the M4 version!

Amen to that! I have always preferred the look of the -M over the -M3/4 and there are some great schemes out there for them such as Egypt and Peru as well as the Soviet ones, a fair few of which were originally in the natural metal finish.

I would hold off buying the book if you are getting it for Su-17 references as there are literally only a couple of pages on them (I will try and send you some scans or pictures of them tomorrow) but if you are interested in the AVMF then it is worth it as there are some good pictures in it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Off the top of my head craig ive got a  hasegawa f4 with resin exhausts, wheel bays and cockpit ,that keeps winking at me , a whole nest of mig 21's,  and an academy f14 ,I'll have a little ponder and i may be able to come up with something properly interesting though,we do have the iran -iraq war,amongst others cheers

Glynn

Edited by Hewy
Spelling
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Hewy said:

we do have the iran -iraq war

As much as I find the Iran-Iraq War fascinating (and I do!) it just falls outside of the geographic limits of this GB I'm afraid Glynn as the Western end of it is the Pakistan/Iran border unfortunately. There are still plenty of opportunities for both Phantoms (a ROKAF one would be nice) and Mig-21's. As for F-14's there were plenty that took part in Pacific cruises in the time period and were shore based at Atsugi for a while.

Ah i see craig ,i was completly unaware of the technicalities of the geographical constraints ,i shall prepare better i promise,

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

Forgot about this, but the Jaguar is still in waiting.

Lost my PB super map too, so here it is again. :)

35813522960_4f34a2d059_b.jpg

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2017 at 20:56, RMP2 said:

Forgot about this, but the Jaguar is still in waiting.

Lost my PB super map too, so here it is again. :)

35813522960_4f34a2d059_b.jpg

Like the map rm, i was only out by a whisker with the iran- iraq war, wonder if kiribati has an air force, must swot up:P

25 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Like the map rm, i was only out by a whisker with the iran- iraq war, wonder if kiribati has an air force, must swot up:P

Cheers. it took me ages.... :)

Any rough idea of a start date? (Ish?) Just weighing up what to tackle and when here.

• Like 1

It looks pretty comprehensive to me rm, i shall use it as reference:yes::P, i picked my initial choice out of the nooo section, i think we're in the  mix for next year, craig will know more

1 hour ago, RMP2 said:

Cheers. it took me ages.... :)

Any rough idea of a start date? (Ish?) Just weighing up what to tackle and when here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

It looks pretty comprehensive to me rm, i shall use it as reference:yes::P, i picked my initial choice out of the nooo section, i think we're in the  mix for next year, craig will know more

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Wouldnt French Polynesia open up some nuclear options...? Or maybe a nice, un-nuked rendition of a pretty piece of coral? ;)

• Like 2

On 8/7/2017 at 8:52 PM, RMP2 said:

Wouldnt French Polynesia open up some nuclear options...?

It certainly would, any of the French aircraft or ships involved would be welcome, as would the CIA U-2's which spied on their every move!

As for a start date we are looking at next year but I don't know when, of course we have to get past the voting stage first!

Hi Craig,

I'll put this message out to the Asian Air Arm SIG members and hopefully we'll get some interest. If anyone's looking for ideas they can go to the Home Page of our website http://www.asianairarms.com and click on Aircraft Search. They'll find alphabetical listings of most of the a/c used in Asia since 1945. Make sure you look at the References page on each country also for lots of photos.

Brian Griffin

http://www.asianairarms.com

• Like 1

Well since the RAAF and RNZAF are included in the subject matter, I have a lot in the stash to cover that, F-111, Hercules, P-3, Mirage, B727, B707...and the list goes on.

I also have a Singapore Air Force TA-4S conversion and decals with a Fujimi A-4B that would fit well in the GB.

When the time comes I will just dive into the stash and see what comes out Craig :D

• Like 1