1980's Front Line Asia GB chat

Still no luck with pictures of SMT's in the 80's in our region, but the ones I have seen pics of from the 905th in 1978 were no doubt still around in 1980, but were wearing camo by then. Their numbers were red 28 and yellow 01.

If you have an MF kit then there are decals for one from the 18th Guards Fighter Bomber Aviation Regiment in the 80's, it's covered by both Print Scale and Linden Hill.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, franky boy said:

I do have an MF kit in the stash to. Will check out those descals.

Have a look at this link;

http://www.easternorbat.com/html/soviet_mig-21sm_fishbed-j_eng.html

And a couple of links to the decals available;

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/lhd48004.htm

http://www.printscale.org/product_52.html

The aircraft are referred to as SM's, which is what we call an MF.

Craig.

• Like 1

Craig

Thanks for the great links, there's some great photos in there. I also found the decal sheets. If this GB gets the go ahead I think I'll be using the Linden Hill sheet.  

Some of those camo schemes could prove interesting to mask!

Thanks again

James

Edited by franky boy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, zebra said:

I'm in. There are some very interesting possibilities in the current stash, and who knows what might be in the stash by the time this GB starts?

Nice one Zebra, you are duly added to the list. And yes who knows what else might find it's way into our respective stashes in the meantime.

9 hours ago, madcat911 said:

Are Soviets in Afghanistan ok? I have a Kitty Hawk Fitter which would look real nice in the 4 tone camouflage used during that conflict.

Mark

Yes Mark they most certainly are, especially as a fair few of the units were home based in some of the Soviet Asian republics. An Su-17 would really fit the bill nicely and they look great in the 4 tone camo scheme.

I must have been living under a rock......or in this case bobbing around at sea for too long! As I didn't know the KH Su-17 had been released! But it seems to have a few issues......though maybe the Hobby Boss one to come has more (nothing about a HB model having issues would surprise me.....their F-111 for instance!! :angrysoapbox.sml:  ).

Though it would be nice to build a new Su-17, rather than heavily modifying the old OZE beast! But as SWMBO kindly reminded me I still have 2 of them in the stash to build, so why would I want another!!!! The scary thing is how did she know/remember I had two in the stash!!!! :fight:  :door:

Well I guess I'd better try and find out which regiments were based in the East.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I must have been living under a rock......or in this case bobbing around at sea for too long! As I didn't know the KH Su-17 had been released! But it seems to have a few issues......though maybe the Hobby Boss one to come has more (nothing about a HB model having issues would surprise me.....their F-111 for instance!! :angrysoapbox.sml:  ).

Though it would be nice to build a new Su-17, rather than heavily modifying the old OZE beast! But as SWMBO kindly reminded me I still have 2 of them in the stash to build, so why would I want another!!!! The scary thing is how did she know/remember I had two in the stash!!!! :fight:  :door:

Well I guess I'd better try and find out which regiments were based in the East.

Maybee she has found your stash and is looking wat she can sell while you are gone.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just kidding.

Cheers,

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arniec said:

Maybee she has found your stash and is looking wat she can sell while you are gone.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just kidding.

Cheers,

She has already reorganized my stash once and that was a worry.......the filing system was well.......different!

I just need to remember to keep buy her stuff so she forgets about the stash! Plus when I'm away and she is bored she likes to "rearrange" stuff......I live in fear she may "reorganize" the dungeon again! 

• Like 2

Very worrying thought that your stash is fully disclosed! And that it might be rearranged whilst you are not there, I don't think I could sleep at night!! I have been threatened with the fact with the fact that from when I leave for work to the time I get home that a liberal dose of "No Nails" glue to my model room door would make it very difficult for me to get into it.

As for info on Su-17 regiments Rich try this site.

http://www.easternorbat.com/index.html

Has some very useful stuff on it.

@trickyrich, just had a quick look and the 381st independent reconnaissance regiment had two squadrons of Su-17M3's based at Chimkent in the 1980's, and the 189th guards fighter bomber regiment had three squadrons at Borzya. The 34th fighter bomber division at Chirkik had three regiments with them which were engaged over Afghanistan, have a look here;  http://www.easternorbat.com/html/soviet_49th_tactical_air_army_.html 

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very worrying thought that your stash is fully disclosed! And that it might be rearranged whilst you are not there, I don't think I could sleep at night!! I have been threatened with the fact with the fact that from when I leave for work to the time I get home that a liberal dose of "No Nails" glue to my model room door would make it very difficult for me to get into it.

As for info on Su-17 regiments Rich try this site.

http://www.easternorbat.com/index.html

Has some very useful stuff on it.

thanks for that!! I had started looking but the internet connection is so slow out here it's really not worth the effort in looking.

I knew the S-17's were used in Afghanistan, but I was wondering if they may have been used in the Far East, maybe with Naval Aviation Group?

Down off the Philippine coast at the moment, only 3 weeks to go!!! :pirate:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I knew the S-17's were used in Afghanistan, but I was wondering if they may have been used in the Far East, maybe with Naval Aviation Group?

Bingo!

173rd Independent Maritime Assault Aviation Regiment based at Pristan, Primorski Kray, Soviet Far East 1982-93. Su-17M3's and UM's.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Bingo!

173rd Independent Maritime Assault Aviation Regiment based at Pristan, Primorski Kray, Soviet Far East 1982-93. Su-17M3's and UM's.

:thumbsup:

now if you could pop up a colour scheme?? :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

:thumbsup:

now if you could pop up a colour scheme?? :D

If only it was that simple, I have had a good look and so far the only schemes I have found are colour profiles or on decal sheets. They seem reasonable though as they all carry avriations on the 3 or 4 colour camo.

8 hours ago, Mr B said:

Such a nice idea

I am in !

rgds

Thanks Mr B glad you like the idea.

Will be seeing something Malaysian from you? A nice F-5 or A-4 perhaps?

You are added to the list.

• Like 2

yeah it's probably just the standard 3 or 4 colour scheme, and the codes in one of the three standard colours as well. The only unique things are probably any special squadron badge.

Did you noticed all the MiG-23's in the photo on the link you sent me? Not one of them in that line had a similar colour pattern, everyone was different!! Sort of makes you wonder why we bother trying to be so accurate with colour schemes!

A new Su-17 is now on the forgotten list, will just stick with the good old OZE/Eduard beast and lots of extras. To make up for it, just bought a 1/48th Hasegawa F-14D with Avionex Bombcat set and Cutting Edge wheels, for less than the price of the Avionex Bombcat set!! :yahoo: No good for this GB, but maybe time for another F-14 STGB!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Did you noticed all the MiG-23's in the photo on the link you sent me? Not one of them in that line had a similar colour pattern, everyone was different!! Sort of makes you wonder why we bother trying to be so accurate with colour schemes!

Yeah it really does make you wonder doesn't it, having spent a fair amount of time looking at Soviet camo schemes the only standard thing about them seems to be that there is no standard scheme. 

I have just had a look at my Hikoki book on Soviet Naval Aviation and there on page 210 there are some pictures (granted in black and white) showing what it says are Su-17's from the 173rd at Pristan! Some are the early Su-17M and others the Su-17M3 in the usual colour scheme, the Su-17 has red codes (60 and 61 etc) and the M-3 blue codes (08, 05), one of the colour profiles has the -17M red 61 having the AVMF flag in front of the bort number.