1980's Front Line Asia GB chat

3 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Is my top quality image below correct?

I think your top quality map sums it up perfectly, and I really like your idea of an Indian Jaguar, fits the bill perfectly.

I'm sure can wait a little bit to build it, or if not there are plenty of other options.

Can I add your name to the list?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Antoine said:

Well, building what's fly, float and drive on about half the planet's surface doesn't really need a GB, just a forum on any day.

An idea to make it more open, let's take what's east of the Greenwich meridian.

:penguin:

Does this mean you do not want to sign up then  Antoine?

The idea to make it inclusive is to try and cover lots of different modelling genres but built to a common theme, just like the very popular NATO/WARPAC version of this, that way nobody (with the exception of sci-fi or purely civil builders) feels left out, and as a predominantly aircraft builder I have liked watching ( and learnt a lot from) the armour and ships/subs which have been a part of these builds.

The area covered also covers some other proposed GB's which have failed at the voting stage so a combined GB gives those interested in that area more of a chance to take part.

It would be great to have you aboard Antoine as I like your builds.

Craig.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I think your top quality map sums it up perfectly, and I really like your idea of an Indian Jaguar, fits the bill perfectly.

I'm sure can wait a little bit to build it, or if not there are plenty of other options.

Can I add your name to the list?

Just to be clear then - that big lump of the USSR would be eligible too? I think thats the case, just checking.

Indian Jag or maybe Snow Hawg, then again an Indian or Singapore Hunter, Aussie Aardvark or Hawk would be of interest to me. Lots of choice.

I can see the point re it being far reaching, but I also like that for the comparisons of just what was kicking about back then in that area.

Yea, stick my name down, cheers. If its soonish then the Jag can go for it, if later then Im sure I have something, or will grab something, to fit the bill.

• Like 1

hmmm this sounds interesting, though not too sure what I'd build for it.

Are the Eastern forces of the Soviet Union allowed, if so then I could see an Su-15 or MiG-23 showing up.

I'm bound to think of something when the time comes around.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Just to be clear then - that big lump of the USSR would be eligible too?

It most certainly is, lots of interesting stuff based there in the time period.

Your other choices are interesting too, there's lots to choose from.

I'll add you to the list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

hmmm this sounds interesting, though not too sure what I'd build for it.

Are the Eastern forces of the Soviet Union allowed, if so then I could see an Su-15 or MiG-23 showing up.

I'm bound to think of something when the time comes around.

Cheers Rich, thought you might be up for this one!

Yes the Eastern USSR is definitely available, and an Su-15 would be nice!

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Ooh, India is in, cool. Then an Indian Navy SHAR is my first choice :) 

Now that is a nice choice Col! And exactly the kind of thing I was hoping would turn up in the GB.

As we are declaring potential builds I suppose as host that I should show my hand. My plan at the minute is to build Italeri's boxing of Kinetic's 1/48 S-2 Tracker in the markings of  the ROCAF (Taiwan) in it's very fetching blue scheme.

• Like 2

Too many options for me to decide right now.  Do I go with my love and build something from CVW-5 out of Atsugi?  Or what about a USAF WW Wild Weasel F-4 based out of Japan?  I've still got decals to build another Aussie Mirage.....  A JASDF F-4 or JMSDF P-3 would be appealing too.  I think I may already have a MiG-21 w/ appropriate decals from SEA as well already in the stash.  Time will tell. :D

I am partial to Naval & SEAD aviation...but I don't mind wandering outside.

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

Hello chaps.

Ive already signed up for this one and am now mulling over what to build as and when it goes ahead.

Am I right in thinking that the Soviet's were operating Mig 21 SMT's in Afghanistan during the 80's? Just wondering as I have one of the very nice Eduard kits in the loft which I think has markings for this area although the instructions don't give a time frame. 

Thanks

James

• Like 1

3 hours ago, franky boy said:

Am I right in thinking that the Soviet's were operating Mig 21 SMT's in Afghanistan during the 80's?

I believe you are correct, it should fit perfectly with the time line.

I shall have a proper look later to see if I can tie down a unit for you.

On 3/16/2017 at 2:34 PM, franky boy said:

Am I right in thinking that the Soviet's were operating Mig 21 SMT's in Afghanistan during the 80's?

Hi James,

Had a very good look through my references and found that the SMT was NOT deployed to Afghanistan, it was planned to do so but due to the types extra weight and slightly sluggish performance and regiments flying the bis were deployed instead. However the SMT was used by the Soviet's in some of their units based in the Central Asian , and I believe the Far Eastern Military District such as the 905th Fighter Aviation Regiment which was based at Taldy-Kurgan (not far from the Chinese border) in 1980 before they converted to the Mig-23 MLA.

• Like 1

No problem James, glad to be of help.

They were used by a couple of units in the Far East as well, being Soviet unit markings are non-existent (which helps) and the examples I've seen pictures of from the 70's were natural metal with the bort numbers in red on one and yellow on another, you can safely assume that camo colours were applied by the 80's.

• Like 1