DH Mosquito B XVI in 1/72

Kes

and another film http://www.britishpathe.com/video/stills/supersonic-rocket

so close to seeing the nose of the Meteor and yet so far away!

another clip http://www.britishpathe.com/video/stills/air-chiefs-battle-unseen-enemy

Edited by rossm
added second clip

Great clips of the actual tests! Thanks for posting them here.

I notice objects mounted under the wings around where the slipper fuel tanks would be? Any ideas what they could be?

. . . Kes

I've started looking through the report for clues, only got to p8 (p9 of the pdf) and it mentions smoke containers so the Meteor chase aircraft could find the Mosquito quickly. I've no idea what a standard smoke container would look like but it's one thought. I think they would only have been fitted for the first two (duff) launches as the use of the Meteor was discontinued at some point. I'll keep going................

No other clues to the underwing gadgets but note on p40 of the report the description of the camera installation in the Mosquito.

Interstingly there is no description of the camera in the Meteor which is referred to as being used for visual observation.

Edited by rossm
Read to end of report

• 3 weeks later...

Page 41, paragraph 4 of the Cranfield report found by Ross above describes the Meteor cameras:

Though the parent aircraft was well provided with cameras for recording the early stages of the test vehicle flight it was not thought likely that any of the later stages would be thus covered. Accordingly a much faster aircraft, the Meteor IV, was detailed to formate with the parent aircraft until the release and then to attempt to follow and photograph the.test vehicle for as long as possible. The Meteor was equipped with five forward-facing G.S.A.P. 9-ram cameras housed in the gun positions. 

I would assume that this would make them difficult to identify in anything other than a view from the front three quarter.

Unless a good image appears at some time, it looks like a fairly normal Mk IV.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanguin said:

Page 41, paragraph 4 of the Cranfield report found by Ross above describes the Meteor cameras:

Though the parent aircraft was well provided with cameras for recording the early stages of the test vehicle flight it was not thought likely that any of the later stages would be thus covered. Accordingly a much faster aircraft, the Meteor IV, was detailed to formate with the parent aircraft until the release and then to attempt to follow and photograph the.test vehicle for as long as possible. The Meteor was equipped with five forward-facing G.S.A.P. 9-ram cameras housed in the gun positions. 

I would assume that this would make them difficult to identify in anything other than a view from the front three quarter.

John

Well spotted, I missed that!

The G S.A.P. is a Gun Sight Aiming Point camera, most seem to be US issued as Bell & Howell 16mm item with a standard 3inch lens which is sort of 9cm.

Presumably these were replacing the Meteor cannon so that they filmed whatever was in the aircraft gunsight.

All the pilot had to do was spot a small supersonic model, track it, close up as it slowed and then film it.

Easypeasy!

And the Meteor had enough difficulty finding the Mosquito before the model actually launched.....

Men was men in them days!

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanguin said:

John

Actually an early one with the longer rounded wingtips of the Mk.III. Repeating my post from page 1 of this thread see the still at 3:23 here

20 hours ago, Matave said:

Are there any resin 6-stack exhaust for the Mosquito on the market, 1/72 and 1/48?

Not to my knowledge. In both 1/72 and 1/48, your best bet may be to buy two sets of the Quickboost 5-stack exhausts, and cut up the second set for the extra stacks.

cheers,

Jason