DH Mosquito B XVI in 1/72

Kes

As far as I am aware only Matchbox did a two stage Merlin Mosquito in 1/72. Never had the kit but I believe there are issues about the portliness of the fuselage or some such.

There have been various resin conversions over the years but the results are I believe not very good. If I remember rightly, someone on this forum did a home brew resin conversion a few years ago and even had a mini run for interested parties.

Trevor

.......come on Airfix!

Hi!

Matchbox B Mk.IX/NF Mk.XXX, as Trevor said. I have this kit and although I have not been aware of any possible fuselage issues, one have to be prepared to invest some time, AM parts, or both into it to make it presentable. On the other hand, hardly any kit is extra-work free so I am still clinging to my two-stage Matchbox Mosquito. Cheers

Jure

10 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

If I remember rightly, someone on this forum did a home brew resin conversion a few years ago and even had a mini run for interested parties.

You might be thinking of me, but mine are in 1/48. Link in sig.

regards,

Jason

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kes said:

Is the definitive bomber version of the wooden wonder available in 1/72? if not is there a similar mark kit to modify?? 

. . . Kes

The definitve version of the bomber was the B35, not the BXVI; however external differences between the two are minor.

Modelling wise in 1/72, there's no out  of the box kit for a BXVI, you'll need a base kit (BIV), two stage merlin nacelles and a bulged bomb bay.

My preference is a Tamiya BIV with Paragon conversions, but these aren't currently in production and may not be easy to source.

Beware of the Pavla & CMK 2 stage nacelles, they're both too short (same length as single stage)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

The definitve version of the bomber was the B35, not the BXVI; however external differences between the two are minor.

Modelling wise in 1/72, there's no out  of the box kit for a BXVI, you'll need a base kit (BIV), two stage merlin nacelles and a bulged bomb bay.

My preference is a Tamiya BIV with Paragon conversions, but these aren't currently in production and may not be easy to source.

Beware of the Pavla & CMK 2 stage nacelles, they're both too short (same length as single stage)

a Paragon canopy is also needed - the teardrop blisters in the side windows of non-pressurised Mosquito bombers were replaced with blown windows on the XVI and 35. :)

• Like 2

Blackbird Models make (or made) two-stage Merlin nacelles as a drop-in replacement for the Tamiya kit. I have a couple in the stash but haven't used them yet so can't comment on their ease of use or, indeed, their accuracy.

1 hour ago, SovereignHobbies said:

a Paragon canopy is also needed - the teardrop blisters in the side windows of non-pressurised Mosquito bombers were replaced with blown windows on the XVI and 35. :)

Correct Jamie, the Tamiya FBVI kit has a blown section for the stbd side and I thought that the BIV kit had the alternative blown or blisters for both sides - it doesn't.

Most of the vacform canopies with blown side windows also have the roof panel blister, you may end up having to combine parts with the kit canopy for a pure bomber canopy

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Blackbird Models make (or made) two-stage Merlin nacelles as a drop-in replacement for the Tamiya kit.

52 minutes ago, Wm Blecky said:

You'd still require the Paragon canopy, but would these work for the engines:

I haven't seen or compared either of these, the Arma ones look the part, it rather depends on the length of the cowling as to whether they'll be OK when fitted.

The Airwaves (ex DB) cowlings were good for the Airfix kit but would need a bit of work to fit to the Tamiya kit.

It's not a typical B XVI I'm researching but the 'carrier' aircraft which did the drops of the 1/3 (approx) scale rocket powered models of Miles M.52 October 1948 out of St Eval, Cornwall

. . . Kes

Edited by Kes
Further information
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Kes said:

It's not a typical B XVI I'm researching but the 'carrier' aircraft which did the drops of the 1/3 (approx) scale rocket powered models of Miles M.52 October 1948 out of St Eval, Cornwall

. . . Kes

You've probably seen this photo, but just in case:-

De_Havilland_Mosquito_with_RAE-Vickers_r

The Mosquito was PF604, a BXVI built by Percival aircraft.

Note mirror attached to crew entry door, probe on bomb bay door, and cine cameras in nose.

You'll need the 2 stage merlins and later bomber canopy as above, but the bomb bay doors are standard, not the bulged versions.

• Like 2

Yes I have seen this photo, but the other details I didn't know? I surmised the object on the crew door to be a mirror or cine camera now you have confirmed it along with it's identity as PF604, grateful thanks for that.

I assume it's standard camouflage of overall 'Medium Sea Grey' with 'Dark Green' disruptive pattern upper? The Propeller spinners look to be a different shade to MSG? 

Are there major differences between a B XVI and B35?

Many thanks for your help

. . . Kes

Hi

Are there bomb doors, or are they removed for the model tail fin to fit into the bomb bay space ? 

to me its unclear from the photo 

cheers

jerry

The dedicated bombers seem generally to have a darker grey with the Dark Green on the uppersurfaces, unlike most of the fighter-bombers.  However as this was a test airframe it may well not have been repainted from the production line anyway.

6 hours ago, Kes said:

Yes I have seen this photo, but the other details I didn't know? I surmised the object on the crew door to be a mirror or cine camera now you have confirmed it along with it's identity as PF604, grateful thanks for that.

I assume it's standard camouflage of overall 'Medium Sea Grey' with 'Dark Green' disruptive pattern upper? The Propeller spinners look to be a different shade to MSG? 

Are there major differences between a B XVI and B35?

Many thanks for your help

. . . Kes

That's the only photo I've found so far, I'd also assume standard factory camo. Note large serials under both wings, Shrouds on stbd engine exhausts, but nissing from at least port inner

Main difference between BXVI and B35 was the engine Merlin 72/73 on BXVI and 113/114 on B35, modelling wise the airframe was pretty much the same. Aerial and equipment fit could vary on both.

4 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Are there bomb doors, or are they removed for the model tail fin to fit into the bomb bay space ? 

to me its unclear from the photo 

cheers

jerry

Yes, standard type bomb doors are fitted, modified with a longitunial slot between the doors for the tail fin and transverse slots to clear the extended carrier frame. Drawings (sketches) of the arrangement are in the SAM modellers datafile in the Mosquito.

In response to Graham re the paint scheme it extends down the fuselage and cowlings and was unique to the Percival production .  Unable to find out why the paint spec was changed . As it was late 1944 and RAF Bomber Command were starting daylight raids can only presume as a deterrent to FW190 attacks the paint scheme gave better camouflage protection. If anybody has any further news on this would be very grateful.

That's an interesting comment about Percival production, seeing that the original requirement to reduce colour schemes (to PRU Blue or DG/MSG) was to save production time and expense at DH, presumably Hatfield.  Were Percival only producing bombers, or at least no fighters, so only a single scheme need be addressed?  However, I feel reasonably sure that I've seen the scheme on Canadian builds too.  I wouldn't like to venture an opinion on an earlier date.  Does your information extend to identifying the grey?  I've seen Dark Sea Grey quoted but suspect the accuracy.

This is separate from the 2nd TAF FB Mk.6s incorrectly repainted at an MU into the Day Fighter Scheme, but I suspect the colours are the same.

Percival's produced 195 BXVI's delivered 15/5/44 to 15/12/45, and 50 PR34's delivered between 6/9/45 and 26/7/46 to contract 3047, all PF serials.

I'm not aware of any non standard colours being used, they apear to be the standard 3 colour bomber scheme Dark Green/Ocean Grey over Medium sea Grey but Percivals did use a different demarkation line between upper and lower surface colours, extending below the tailplane and wing, just below the starboard fuselage strake, and down the sides of the cowlings covering most of the side panels. This can just be discerned on the port inner cowling on the photo above. The following shows a line of Percival built Mosquitos.

220px-De_Havilland_Mosquito_IV_ExCC.jpg

and the first of this line is also Percival

IWM-CH-17859.jpg

The actual pattern of the uppers seems pretty close to the standard pattern.

• Like 1

Since we are now talking camouflage schemes why did some Canadian built examples have a very wavy demarcation on the upper colours?

Here is KA999/XB-HOB as an example.

http://www.calgarymosquitosociety.com/feature17/feature17.htm

and look at the tail here

8e98fa6989121b76dba23a4ce5e29e26.jpg

Trevor

There is also a different photo of the rocket trials aircraft in the Crowood Mosquito book. Details of the trials in Flight magazine here with the same photo as the Crowood book. More details of the rocket here and see below for a film with shots of the trials aircraft.

A project I want to do one day (year? decade? century?). Also the chase Meteor IV EE568 with camera(s) in the nose. The only pictures I have seen of the Meteor are in a newsreel here at time 3.23 and onward. Unfortunately the camera installation cannot be seen but there are  details of the Mosquito in this film.

There is also a report of the trials online at http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/arc/rm/2835.pdf

Edited by rossm
added report link
  • Like 2