IDENT colours

Mancunian airman

2 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

If I said to you that I knew that the RED in the roundel had a number '342' would it mean anything to anybody and does it mean it can be traced to source a more accurate RED for the modeller ???

Ian

It's the RAF Stores reference number for a 5-gallon container of Red paint synthetic (not cellulose) spec DTD 314 or 517, usually preceded by the generic RAF stores identifier 33B, e.g. 33B-342

Nick 

• Like 2

Many thanks for that Nick.

Two other numbers I have . .  .

H?AR Frost 33b 776

KILFROST MKV. TypeB 33c826

RED Ident cellulose 74

What is the 'RAF stores identifier' please ? Is it to identify the source/location ?

Ian

Hi Ian

It's just the unique number for each type of medium and container size by which it is identified, stored and ordered, just like any stores reference number for various items. The containers for each paint colour came in half-gallon, one gallon, five gallon and five gallon (overseas) sizes, each with a unique number. The system extended beyond paint and included brush cleaners, thinners, degreasers, removers, etc., which often came in different sizes, e.g. 384 was paint remover in a four gallon container. The numbers did change during the war with the development of paint technology. For example in 1942 74 replaced 167 but the stores still held stocks of the latter, the number appearing in brackets, with the instruction that it was to be used first. 

74 is the one gallon container for Red, Identification, cellulose paint to DTD 83A or 308. 83A was originally considered to be dope for fabric and 308 paint for metal but from December 1941the two types became interchangeable and existing stocks of 308 were instructed to be used up whereupon 83A became standard for both uses.

I don't have a listing for 776 or 826 to hand but  hazard a guess that they might either be flexible paints for de-icer use or anti-chill thinners for dopes. 33C was a stores prefix used for example for "Deoxidine" 202, 33C/748 a treatment for external aluminium alloy prior to painting.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1