Supermarine Seafire III, 809 squadron FAA

NF435 was built by Westland and delivered to 30 Maintenance Unit on 19/01/1944. She then flew with 899 squadron FAA before moving to 809 and flying from HMS Stalker (ex-USS Hamlin) in the Indian Ocean. Sadly, she collided with something (Spitfire The History doesn't say what) and was pushed overboard on 01/05/1945.

Here's my attempt, using the Sword kit, brushed painted wth Humbrol enamels and a final coat of Windsor & Newton matt varnish.

20170307_194649

20170307_194620

20170307_194610

20170307_194606

20170307_194558

The WiP is here, should you care to look.

Edited by Beard
To correct spelling.
  • Like 14

Well done on building this one,.......not the easiest by a long chalk and you`ve chosen a great scheme,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

This really is very nice Simon. A really good build of a tricky kit. 

I really like this scheme, you've done a very good job on it; the weathering really works; it looks like the real thing.

Good photographs too :thumbsup2: 

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tonyot said:

Well done on building this one,.......not the easiest by a long chalk and you`ve chosen a great scheme,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony. It's a lot easier than their XIV. I'm not sure I've done the white stripes and roundels right, Sword would have the stripes going over the roundels, I've done it the other way round...

15 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Nice build and really nice scheme. I've read mixed reviews about Sword Spitfires (which is why I've never built one!), what was good and what was not?! 

Thanks. The Sword Vc, which this kit is based on is a little harder than the KP Vb. There are several pieces of advice I would offer:

1) Don't bother fitting all the parts for the undercarriage bays. All they do is make the wings harder to fit together.

2) Be careful when fitting the wing to the fuselage, sometimes the cockpit parts interfere with the fit. 

3) Be very careful with the undercarriage. I'm sure that the destructions have the legs the wrong way round.

4) The undercarriage legs don't have a really positive fit in the wing. This can be sorted out with some careful widening of the hole they fit in or, by using plenty of glue. I choose the later option.

14 hours ago, allyby said:

Lovely build, ya just have to love a Spit!

Thanks. I do love a Spitfire. Although I have the occasional affair with other aircraft, I always come back to my first love.

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Lovely Seafire Simon, you've really done her justice in that scheme.

Thanks Cookie. I'm quite happy with the outcome.

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Good job Simon - she looks very smart :) 

Thanks Ced. I'm beginning to like the EDSG/ DSG over Sky so, I can see me doing more FAA subjects.

12 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

Impeccable! 

Thank you, although I wouldn't go quite that far.:D

11 hours ago, celt said:

Not a Spitfire fan,but I do like your model.:clap2:Well tidy colour scheme.

Thanks, perhaps you can be converted. Have you seen the Haverford Spitfire?

8 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

This really is very nice Simon. A really good build of a tricky kit. 

I really like this scheme, you've done a very good job on it; the weathering really works; it looks like the real thing.

Good photographs too :thumbsup2: 

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Thanks Tony. It's not that tricky, perhaps tricky enough to be enjoyable, and the weathering was done with cheap poster paints. The photographs were taken in my new photo-booth (some art paper taped to a chair with a daylight lamp leaning on the back of the chair) with my phone camera.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 1