Catching Pictures in the Air

16 hours ago, CedB said:

013bba27ff1eb2b2b192060b81f71e1a--comedy

Nice doors. Fnaff naff nah (pathetic attempt at SJ laugh)

My feeble attempt at the Master's rambunctious  'heeyarrheeyarryarr' in the car has been an occasional cause of friction with Mrs B when out driving. 

• Like 6

Nice work on the doors Tony, you'll have a nice pair next time :).

A while ago I was trying to find a Sid James laugh on YooToob to put in one of my threads. I found a few, but all are associated with film clips unsuitable for a 21st Century family show.

They were very suitable for 60's and 70's family shows; we were lucky as kids :D.

Now that PC has gone so far that it's no longer a liberating thing, but quite oppressive, watching the (best) Carry On films again, I'm finding them hilarious.

Cerebral? not. Alternative? not, but the downright ridiculous endless tirade of repression inspired double entendes is simply majestic. It leaves my 14 year old step-daughter and 15 and 20 year old stepsons unmoved. I feel sorry for them, I hope they get well soon. A terrible state to be in, poor kids.

They laugh at things like 'Friends' and 'Modern Family', and watch the same episodes over and over and over and over again.

For me: that's purgatory :chilly:

They say that 'Black Books' is the funniest show ever made. To me it's just...      ok.

I wonder if I'm alone in middle age, in deliberately telling really dodgy 1970's style jokes around these youngsters, just to see them cringe? I get a perverse joy out of it. I'd be even happier if they'd just lighten up :(.

Ranting aside; Tony, it has occurred to me that with your very effective vac form rig, your skills in soldering, recent internal work using plastic card, rod etc to scratch build, you know, to scratch build things, that scratch pretty scratch soon build surely build you will be ready scratch to.....

scratch build a complete model!

:o

Now doesn't that open a few exciting doors?

Not that I'd be encouraging you to do it, at all, at all.                                     :poke:

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

A while ago I was trying to find a Sid James laugh on YooToob to put in one of my threads. I found a few, but all are associated with film clips unsuitable for a 21st Century family show.

The characters' names in CO are always delicious - things like Ted Flange and Miss Prodworthy.:rofl:

Now that PC has gone so far that it's no longer a liberating thing, but quite oppressive, watching the (best) Carry On films again, I'm finding them hilarious.

I still bray like a horse at things like the 'He's gone for a P' line in Carry-On Camping...

A plan is slowly gestating away TT, now that you raise the matter.:D

I've a bit of research to do yet as afaik it's a subject not attempted so far and not well-documented so I would have to do up a set of plans from photos. I know that sounds needlessly mysterious but I want to be sure that it's possible to garner enough information about the subject first.

I appreciate your encouragement  -If I can accumulate sufficient skills over the next year or so then this is something I am itching to try!

50 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Impressive Tony, those doors look damn good. Some liquid refreshment to accompany the Vesta curry:

Thanks Tomo! I can see the plastic stand with those bottles on in the local newsagent like it was yesterday! Saturday morning, a copy of Warlord comic and 10p-worth of sherbet flying saucers. Heaven.

I were always partial to these:

mintcracknel4.jpg

32 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

It`s the return deposit writing across the bottom of the label that gives the age away.

I wonder when they stopped doing that Simon ?

Those doors. Bugging me they were and crying out to be fixed. First though I made a start this evening on getting the vacform rear glued onto the fuselage on either side with Araldite:

36206212565_5c44eeb2de_c.jpg

As per usual I ended up with as much epoxy over me as Winnie the Pooh with a jar of Crystal Honey-Meth, but think that I've managed to get the vacform on flush with the outside for the main part:

35369764344_be9045f2e7_c.jpg

Thence to the Doors of Perception.

As revealed exclusively in this collumn, the first attempt yesterday had fat ankles and flaring nostrils too far apart so I began from scratch again:

35369760084_1b09a40380_c.jpg

• Like 12

..I got so excited there at posting a picture of plastic doors that I hit 'submit' before finishing what I had to say....

Right. So anyway, those lads are now the right width and the windows are about right, but if you look at photos of the doors on the real thing the diagonal bottoms of them curve inward ever-so-slightly to follow the curvature of the lower BT at that point. I decided to tackle that detail by taping the doors to the required location on the buck:

36206213205_f10ed7a3ca_c.jpg

..and apply the heat-gun to soften the lower end around the profile:

35369761674_1b2e8414a1_c.jpg

You can see what I mean a little better here I think:

36206213775_087a78e815_c.jpg

That Maplins heat-gun is a gem btw - about £15 if I recall and with a useful range of nozzles for shaping the heat-flow:

35369763064_1136c6cd5b_c.jpg

There'll probably need to be some more shaping when these two are inset into the BT later on:

36206214245_c91b58f319_c.jpg

...but that will do for tonight. Next task is to get those door openings cut out and try the doors for size!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, TheBaron said:
43 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

It`s the return deposit writing across the bottom of the label that gives the age away.

I wonder when they stopped doing that Simon ?

May have something to do with the fact that scamps like me and my mates enterprising fellows would rob them from the back of the shop return them to the shop to claim the deposit, then rob them from the back of the shop recycle them to claim the deposit, then rob them from the back of the shop then recycle them again....urm yeh dunno why they stopped doing that..:hmmm:

Oh yeh the doors Tony (fervently attempting to change the subject) looking good, yeh the doors are great...

Edited by Tomoshenko
  • Like 9

You most definitely have this beast on the run now. I am just reminded of the time I said this to Crisp about his Ark Royal build. No sooner than these words were posted here, than he had some sort of disaster with the flight deck I was branded as a Jonah for quite some time afterwards and was forbidden to post nice comments about the build.

Martian .

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

May have something to do with the fact that scamps like me and my mates enterprising fellows would rob them from the back of the shop return them to the shop to claim the deposit, then rob them from the back of the shop recycle them to claim the deposit, then rob them from the back of the shop then recycle them again....urm yeh dunno why they stopped doing that..

Ahhh, that brings back happy memories!!

K

• Like 4

Corona! I remember the Corona lorry used to come around once a week and Mum used to top up supplies - yum!

I also remember the Milkman, bread man, general shop, egg man and others visiting to deliver their fresh produce - yum!

Now of course we all have to get in our cars and drive to the out-of-town supermarket... if we can find somewhere to park.

Why do SO many people have cars nowadays? All contributing to pollution? Oh, wait, got it...

Mint cracknel - yum! I remember that too.

TT you're right about the new 'comedy' shows, although I must admit Clair on Modern Family could turn my head... yum!

Mind you it's progress I suppose, as indeed is political correctness... if anyone needs a lesson I'd be happy to give them one (fnaar!)

Anyway, nice doors Tony. Heat gun... hmmm. I have a paint stripper somewhere; is that the same (melted models in my future...)

• Like 3

Looking excellent, yer Lordship. A real milestone! The curled door bottoms look just the ticket, too. 

18 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

They say that 'Black Books' is the funniest show ever made. To me it's just...      ok.

Well,  found Black Books funny. And Father Ted. I nearly choked to death watching more than one Father Ted episode.

18 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hear hear! I second that!

17 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The characters' names in CO are always delicious - things like Ted Flange and Miss Prodworthy.:rofl:

Or Mrs Slocum and her cat in 'Are You Being Served'. Now there was a show simply drowning in double entendres

17 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That Maplins heat-gun is a gem btw - about £15 if I recall and with a useful range of nozzles for shaping the heat-flow:

Much like my Proxxon thingy, but much cheaper, I specs

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Corona! I remember the Corona lorry used to come around once a week and Mum used to top up supplies - yum!

I also remember the Milkman, bread man, general shop, egg man and others visiting to deliver their fresh produce - yum!

We had the 'Loys' truck come around in Adelaide - very similar to 'Corona' but they also had in addition to the above, 'ginger beer' and 'raspberry' (the latter in place of 'cherry', I think), and 'pineapple'. But not the creaming soda. And the Baker and his horse and cart, when I were very small. I remember poppy-seed crescent rolls that occasionally were given to me by the driver - a great treat! The milkman similarly came to the door - but I only remember the van. Bread as well was home-delivered, but you had to be quick before the cats got it. They particularly liked the unwrapped unsliced brown loaves, partly, I suspect, because they were unwrapped...

Oh, and we had a 5c then 10c deposit (for inflation) on drinks containers in South Australia - a great way of making pocket money stretch out. It guaranteed that the place wasn't littered with drink bottles and cans. This has recently spread to the rest of the country, I believe (only took 50 years or so...).

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not a drink bottle or its deposit

Edited by AlexN
Removed unnecessary LFs(/CRs)
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

There'll probably need to be some more shaping when these two are inset into the BT later on:

you'll probably find there's enough thickness in them to file/sand the bottom corner to suit the fuselage profile once they're glued in position.  I wouldn't worry too much about getting them perfect at this point

I was more partial to this...

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

May have something to do with the fact that scamps like me and my mates enterprising fellows would rob them from the back of the shop return them to the shop to claim the deposit, then rob them from the back of the shop recycle them to claim the deposit, then rob them from the back of the shop then recycle them again....urm yeh dunno why they stopped doing that..:hmmm:

That sounds to me like you were simply demonstrating a free-market interpretation of a perpetual motion machine Tomo. I have taken the liberty of contacting the Nobel committee and apprising them of your achievements in the field of economics. Recognition can still be yours! :D

21 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You most definitely have this beast on the run now. I am just reminded of the time I said this to Crisp about his Ark Royal build. No sooner than these words were posted here, than he had some sort of disaster with the flight deck I was branded as a Jonah for quite some time afterwards and was forbidden to post nice comments about the build.

Thank-you! :thumbsup2:

Bearing that ominous news in mind I have been taking things very very carefully and thoughtfully this evening Martian.:lol: (That's not a laugh about your Ark btw Crisp, which I hope recovered from its Martian tendresse).

20 hours ago, CedB said:

Heat gun... hmmm. I have a paint stripper somewhere; is that the same (melted models in my future...)

I imagine they're one and the same Ced. Not to be confused under any circumstances with the hair-dryer...

19 hours ago, AlexN said:

Or Mrs Slocum and her cat in 'Are You Being Served'. Now there was a show simply drowning in double entendres

Get yourself some fizzy pop and dive-in Alex!

19 hours ago, hendie said:

I was more partial to this...

Cresta! Brilliant! Like a chemistry set you could drink.

First up tonight I am fresh from a hallucinatory experience. No. I didn't put too much nutmeg in the bread and butter pudding but a Druid friend of ours who keeps bees blessed us with this rather large jar:

36059732082_c6864185f0_c.jpg

Hive-fresh honey. 

No feeding sugar-water to the bees here - this is the pure uncut stuff straight from the nectar. The deep sweetness of it is indescribable, except perhaps by some 17th century metaphyscial poet...

A quick report first on the results of last night's gluing:

36183869796_4cac1627bd_c.jpg

The port side is absolutely fine, whilst the starboard:

36059732952_4b5b944724_c.jpg

- fine also, save for right at the top there where it curves round the wing root. I've since sliced the join carefully just at that point and popped the vacform back into alignment with the curve of the root, securing it with a drop of CA

Tome to removing the festoons of Tamiya tape that have been draped over this for weeks and have a look at the clean new shape:

36059733312_44e817397a_c.jpg

There's a slight dip upwards visible at the bottom where the vacform and kit meet - I'm going to have a more more controlled look at that over the weekend to see if it is to do with the curve of the lower corners of the fuselage needing a little filing, or whether a bit of filler is required to level the dip. Otherwise there seems to be very little filler and filing needed around the join between vacform and kit on the exterior.

Remember there were some insides for this once? I can't recall how long ago it was since they featured here so I put the deck in to get an idea of how it goes with the new rear section:

36059734162_52333b62ed_c.jpg

With the corrected profile to the rear fuselage now you can clearly see where the original 'G' variant floor needs to be built outwards to parallel the new line of the walls at the rear of the aircraft. Same for the ceiling as well later on. More by luck the judgement the length of the new vacform section at the back is correct to the millimetre, and matches deck exactly:

36059734672_c40b01df43_c.jpg

Look how battered those wall details have become from all the rough handling though - more boneyard than bon voyage at the present time. Plenty of tidying to do there...

Using the doors I'd glued temporarily onto the respective sides of the BT last night, I firstly scribed the  required outline deeply with a sewing-machine needle, and then gently and progressively sliced around those lines with a scalpel, as you see here about halfway through the process:

36059735212_90a9ebf826_c.jpg

Once through on the sides and bottom, the shape could then be popped out without damaging the BT:

36183868546_58282280a8_c.jpg

The frames need a little smoothing around the edges but I bunged one of the doors in the starboard BT to show the eventual fit.

I'm off now for another teaspoon of the amber stuff.

:bye:

Baron Honeymonster.

• Like 12

Very nice Honey. No, that sounds wrong... that Honey looks very nice (that's better) :) 

Nice join honey (I've started so I'll finish) and the floor fit - perfect. After all that planning, no surprise there.

Door fit - ditto.

Great stuff Tony :clap: 

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Tome to removing the festoons of Tamiya tape...

You missed a bit :) 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Hive-fresh honey. 

:Tasty: You lucky so-and-so. You lucky, lucky so-and-so, to mis-quote the Pythons. Yum yum! One bear of little brain homing in on that jar right now (albeit virtually).

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

the length of the new vacform section at the back is correct to the millimetre, and matches deck exactly:

Magnificent, yer Baron-ness! As Ced said above, luck had nuffin' ter do wi' it. Excellent work! (I'm always amazed when all my dots join up, but in those instances it is luck.)

Fortune favours the brave, mon brave :).

Thank you for the 'Served' episode!

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 2

That is plastic surgery of the first order. This is the first you have told us about cavorting with cavorting druids.

Martian

• Like 3

On 22/07/2017 at 12:18, 825 said:

Gogle gave the following

http://actionmodelcentre.com/

and one in nearby Paignton https://www.paigntonmodelshop.com/ 

Found both thanks, the Action models one was only 500 yds (sorry, no metricity here) up the road from the hotel, excellent

But sadly both were sparse in the plastic modelling range, although in both I had the obligatory rummage around the lower and highest shelves

Just in case of course.

If I had been a railwayist like Hendie the Paignton shop was a treasure trove of metal rail works

Some fabulous buildings, how about a power station cooling tower?

Cut in half vertically so it cansit at the back of your track works

Buy two for the full monte.

Blooming not cheap though, I've a vague memory of a hundred and twenty quid, can't be right can it

😕

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Blooming not cheap though, I've a vague memory of a hundred and twenty quid, can't be right can it

Certainly can Bill, if you want two;

http://www.hattons.co.uk/82870/Graham_Farish_42_297_Low_Relief_Cooling_Tower_105x210x280mm_/StockDetail.aspx

...and that's only N gauge (roughly 1/144) too....!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Most excellent work Tony, very nice indeed!

Watch out for a lurking Winnie the Pooh when you take the lid off that jar....

:D There are two cats guarding it. He shall not pass!

22 hours ago, CedB said:

You missed a bit :) 

You should see the state of the carpet! Since getting that Washi tape you recommended I've become positively cavalier with the Tamiya stuff to the extent that it now forms an archaeological layer fanning out from my chair...

20 hours ago, AlexN said:

Thank you for the 'Served' episode!

I forgot to add that link will take you to a playlist of every episode. :lol:

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This is the first you have told us about cavorting with cavorting druids.

The most fun you can have with your robe on and mistletoe behind your ear!

11 hours ago, perdu said:

Some fabulous buildings, how about a power station cooling tower?

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Me too! Dear do eh?

If a fight starts Bill I'm right behind you :D :boxing:

As seen on Britain's Got Cooling Towers:

lampshade2.jpg

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

Excellent progress your Baronship!

Are the J rear side doors different to standard ones?  Guessing they don't curve at the bottom so much?

There's a slightly similar curve to the bottom James but you're dead right about the flatter nature of the 'j' doors:

2017-07-29_09-24-29

Apologies for the grotty flash shot via the tablet.

No bench action today I'm afraid due to having to make up for time lost during the week over software snafus. I hope to get an hour or so in tomorrow before taking the family to see Dunkirk at the flicks.

Weirdly this will be the first time I've been to see a war film at the cinema since A Bridge Too Far was released: on that occasion the film jammed in the projector and melted, turning Sean Connery's face into a psychedelic Pink Floyd lightshow. I've never really recovered...

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

On 26/07/2017 at 3:24 PM, TheBaron said:

I was admiring your caravan in the photo over on your thread Johnny - a most handsome cabin and tent  - quite Lawrence of Arabia Hampshire! I picture you reclining there at night under the stars with a hookah in all your arabesque glory, your face lit by the glow of an iPhone as you leaf through the forum, tutting at the chaos your thread has become....:cheers:

Thank'e sir . Yes exactly as you imagined. :lol: I'm back at ze homestead now so I must get the old thread back on track.

great work on the doors but those poor internals? Fingers crossed for getting them back in order.

Jont

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Weirdly this will be the first time I've been to see a war film at the cinema since A Bridge Too Far was released: on that occasion the film jammed in the projector and melted, turning Sean Connery's face into a psychedelic Pink Floyd lightshow. I've never really recovered...

To be fair

Explains a lot

:nodding:

he he

Do tell us what you think after going to the flicks, I might copy you if it is good

• Like 1