Catching Pictures in the Air

Hiya Mr Baron,

Spoke to your mate Mr Miggers the other night.

I was messing about with my airbrush and phoned him,within 20 mins his trusty silver BMW was on our drive.

He also showed me some photos on his phone of his latest plane that's nearly done,a Dakota(that's what he said anyway).

We also nattered about holidays,he and his Mrs are also off to Dorset/Devon at the end of this month,staying near to Axminster

in their touring caravan.

I know he said they're going to do a WW2 walk in Studland(yes?) to visit Churchill's Bunker(?),then they're going to an abandoned village

and then along a firing range walk(gulp),then to the site of a wartime airfield that is now a village(Warm-something??).

They both love WW2 history,I know they both had relatives that fought in it.

Oh yes,he say's he e-mail you with pictures of his new "Dakota"when it's done(it looked impressive),he reckons you'd like to see it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, perdu said:

Rather unsporting of you to be doing a NO WARNING Barry Norman old chap

Some of us haven't seen it yet...

Difficult to miss seeing as it's all over the bleedin' publicity for the film. :lol:

177286_front.jpg

I do love the title of the Spanish version: 'Rapidos y Furiosos' !

Pleased to report that the  Statmeister does some of his best mugging yet for the camera.

This is hypnotic. Somebody with too much free time on their hands. But still hypnotic...

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

He re-entered Britmodeller's atmosphere yesterday since when he has been busy setting up the Free Blackadder campaign following the discovery of Speckled Jim in Dartmouth. You Earthlings do seem to have a very strange definition of quiet!

Inside your head. Glimpses. Frightening.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Kenny Stevens said:

Hiya Mr Baron,

Spoke to your mate Mr Miggers the other night.

I was messing about with my airbrush and phoned him,within 20 mins his trusty silver BMW was on our drive.

He also showed me some photos on his phone of his latest plane that's nearly done,a Dakota(that's what he said anyway).

Good morning Kenny! :D

Sounds like a handy friend to have - please pass on my congrats to the old spraymeister regarding the Dakota-ery goodness that's been forthcoming! He has my email add. from before so tell him to bung me a link by all means!

12 hours ago, Kenny Stevens said:

I know he said they're going to do a WW2 walk in Studland(yes?) to visit Churchill's Bunker(?),then they're going to an abandoned village

and then along a firing range walk(gulp),then to the site of a wartime airfield that is now a village(Warm-something??).

They both love WW2 history,I know they both had relatives that fought in it.

Oh yes,he say's he e-mail you with pictures of his new "Dakota"when it's done(it looked impressive),he reckons you'd like to see it.

That long narrow bunker they watched D-Day rehearsals from? We've still yet to get there, but Tyneham is melancholically beautiful, given the history. Warmwell airfield is slated for some kind of holiday village development I heard yadda yadda I'll shut up as I bet Miggers has told you all this anyway...

Have you seen that overlay for Google maps that plots out most of the WW2 installations in great detail? It's available here:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/gec-dynamic-data-layers/C613VtwASdo

It's a .kmz file that only works on the desktop version I think. Be careful- it gets quite addictive ....

• Like 1

Say "Hello" to Mr Miggers from me too, please, Kenny. Tell him that he is sorely missed :crying:.

Now, wasn't there a C-119 somewhere about the place, or was it a victim of the wild party that got thrown in your absence, Mr Baron?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Good morning Kenny! :D

Sounds like a handy friend to have - please pass on my congrats to the old spraymeister regarding the Dakota-ery goodness that's been forthcoming! He has my email add. from before so tell him to bung me a link by all means!

That long narrow bunker they watched D-Day rehearsals from? We've still yet to get there, but Tyneham is melancholically beautiful, given the history. Warmwell airfield is slated for some kind of holiday village development I heard yadda yadda I'll shut up as I bet Miggers has told you all this anyway...

Have you seen that overlay for Google maps that plots out most of the WW2 installations in great detail? It's available here:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/gec-dynamic-data-layers/C613VtwASdo

It's a .kmz file that only works on the desktop version I think. Be careful- it gets quite addictive ....

That sounds like the bunker he's on about,his uncle was in on the D-Day landings,so I guess there's a good chance he was in on the rehersals too,no wonder Mark

and his Mrs want to go for a look.

Warmwell,yeah,that's it(I'm sure he mentioned his mum's cousin was a fighter pilot-,I'll ask him).

I'll aim him at that google map thing(though knowing him he already knows about it!!)

8 hours ago, AlexN said:

Say "Hello" to Mr Miggers from me too, please, Kenny. Tell him that he is sorely missed :crying:.

Now, wasn't there a C-119 somewhere about the place, or was it a victim of the wild party that got thrown in your absence, Mr Baron?

Sure I will Alex.

If you can give me your e-mail addy I'll pass it on to Mark,he already has The Baron's.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AlexN said:

:lol: Ha! 

That's what I'm doing here. Seems so long ago.....

Well, I did get round to measuring-up earlier in the week:

35862738646_9cfbc00029_c.jpg

The sides of the buck only need to come in a bit below the 46mm I reckon; as you can see from the black marker though we need to trim some of the fat off top and bottom in order to shrink it down below the size of the kit to compensate for the vacform layer.

BTW, I'd ordered some 1.5mm sheets before going away on the hols but somewhere between Britaindom and Irelandshire it's apparently gotten lost in the post. Annoying, but at least I can try out @hendies suggesting regarding laminating and sticking two sheets together - an interesting test if nothing else...

2 hours ago, Kenny Stevens said:

I'll aim him at that google map thing(though knowing him he already knows about it!!)

He's probably in it! :lol:

Right. Pictures.

I've been pussyfooting around all week trying to find a way back into the build it seems. Not 'loss-of-mojo' so much as a bout of nerves over the necessary alterations to the the buck. Having done that test pull previously and getting a sense of how much smaller it needs to be, the idea of having to redo all those curves and profiles was weighing heavy on my enthusiasm. Either that or I just got too damn lazy on the beach. 

Either way.

I gave myself a good talking to this evening and locked myself in the garden shed, vowing not to emerge until the job was done.

Filing and sanding being a rather undramatic process I simply did a set of before and after shots, largely due to the fact that half the time you can't see what's been changed due to the gradual nature of the work whilst it's underway. 

Here's the buck in it's original state from the test pull:

35063366534_5a012f5f13_c.jpg

As you'll recollect from a few pages back, too big and the contours still too inaccurate. Closer examination reveals also that the underside of the buck bulges downwards a little rather than smoothly continuing the line ofd the fuselage (oddly it doesn't look as bad in the photo here as it does in the flesh - usually it's the other way round!):

35862739346_e3c304df84_c.jpg

Don't worry about those dents, they'll disappear when we sand it all down.

Apologies for the poor lighting in tonight's images btw, these were taken out in the shed using an led bar light...

After a couple of hours sand/file/scrutiny/offering-up-to-the-kit, the buck now looks like this:

35094193523_ca23311bc9_c.jpg

It's only roughly taped back on to the plane here as I was knackered by this stage, but hopefully you can see that the buck is no longer as 'plump' as it was previously and matches the sharper profile of the real thing.

Hmmm. Seen from below in this photo it looks like I might need to even-out the starboard side tomorrow:

35862740796_277537e73b_c.jpg

I'll measure it carefully with the vernier before doing so just in case the angle of the photo is fooling me - it wouldn't be the first time the distortions of a wide-angle lens in close-up have fooled me!

The upper profile however has emerged again match the actual aircraft to a degree that I'm pleased with:

35063367354_6414972f85_c.jpg

Underneath next, with the corners tapering to the rear:

35094192713_d3e6506400_c.jpg

The following image yields some idea of the approx. 1mm reduction all the way round now to allow for vacformation:35094194933_2946fa09a8_c.jpg

I want to give that both a Mk.1 eyeballing and careful measuring tomorrow - then I reckon it's time to go for another test pull to check dimensions.

Until I'm satisfied we're close enough in size I'm not going to smooth the surface with car filler (another @hendie tip) or cut the buck up into the sections required for the final moulding, for obvious reasons.

That was an intense session now this evening but I seriously needed to get back into harness on this.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 13

Nice progress, Tony - at least it's not ten years between bites (like my Chipmunk cowling).

Looking forward to seeing the finished mould and its progeny.

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: says "Good to see The Baron back at it."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I've been pussyfooting around all week trying to find a way back into the build it seems.

a bit like myself it would seem. I haven't even ventured down stairs since I got back from me hols.

• Like 3

That "Hot WheelsTM" track was seriously long! Unless, of course - as I suspect - they stopped-started the filming and switched (large) lengths of track. Highly amusing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AlexN said:

Nice progress, Tony - at least it's not ten years between bites (like my Chipmunk cowling).

Looking forward to seeing the finished mould and its progeny.

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: says "Good to see The Baron back at it."

Thanks Alex.

A bit more progress to report below. :D

16 hours ago, hendie said:

a bit like myself it would seem. I haven't even ventured down stairs since I got back from me hols.

It's funny isn't it?

Complete absorption in the process one week, doubt and anxiety the next (at least in my case).....

10 hours ago, AlexN said:

That "Hot WheelsTM" track was seriously long! Unless, of course - as I suspect - they stopped-started the filming and switched (large) lengths of track. Highly amusing.

The underwater bit towards the end confused me - it seems to go down into the pool and rise up again against all known laws of physics. I suspect they must have quantum-entangled more than one car...

Now. Vacform tests.

It was either going to be:

a date that will live in Inverary

or else people will say

this was their finest owl.

35108142693_053961b2b6_c.jpg

As anticipated I did need to sort out the starboard side before rigging this up. As it was just a test for shape accuracy I didn't bother lifting the buck slightly from the vacform base, but I had acquired some more robust pins to hold the sheet in place more securely than the previous test and they worked better this time. I did managed to drop the buck at the last knockings however so I've a repair to make at the very tip of the BT:

35785265131_627369651c_c.jpg

:doh:

Typical.

:lol:

Now. The meat and potatoes of it:

35108143543_2aca06a1b2_c.jpg

Most pleased with the match between kit and vacform on the upper surfaces now!

35785267391_9730e3dcf3_c.jpg

And along the sides:

35785266211_4e34cd974e_c.jpg

Baron Feckwit however may have chopped too much off horizontally on the forward part of the buck along the lower sides:

35785267991_a5768c1080_c.jpg

As a precaution though I'm going to stick the booms on temporarily to gauge whether I've cut too much off along the sides, or simply have it too long at the top (if you get my drift).

That said, we're inching closer:

35108144463_b6b722c2b3_c.jpg

I'll stick a photo up with the booms on later to let you see which bit needs alteration.

Tony

• Like 14

Now that is starting to look really close - close enough to work with a bit of modelling, I'd say (even if it turns out you have cut away too much).

Great work.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Now that is starting to look really close - close enough to work with a bit of modelling, I'd say (even if it turns out you have cut away too much).

Great work.

Much obliged Crisp. :thumbsup2:

I whacked the starboard boom on just now and although I've no photo that gives an exact side-on view from the required distance away, I think the end of the BT (as indicated by the green mark on the boom) comes back far enough, so I have to add a bit more back onto  the for'ard end of the buck to plug the void between it and the fuselage:

35877855366_fa38928e97_z.jpg

At least that end isn't the most complex of shapes to reinstate..

• Like 12

Yeah it does look as if you only have a bit of modelling to do now

Those side walls might just need bended sheet polycard added

Looking VERY good Tony

I bet you're glad we learned you how to play this new game

😤 😨 😩 😥    😇

• Like 4

Oooo. That looks good. A very nice profile continuing from kit parts to your vac formed BT.

To me; very impressive. Looks like a professional aftermarket conversion set.

:hmmm: 💰 💰 💵 💵.

Must agree with Monsieur 'a little off course', that a pair of pieces of slightly curved plastic card, and Robert is your dad's sibling :thumbsup2: .

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 3

oh, nice advancery on the sucking front there Baron.  I don't know how visible the rippling of the plastic is when viewed by the Mk I in the flesh - black always seems to amplify any defect, and you're always going to get some extent of variation of the surface when sucking. Perhaps a nice coating or two of high build primer will provide the finishing touch when flattened.

• Like 4

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 08:54, TheBaron said:

Inverary, Inverary, they've all got it Inverary! Not quite the same is it?

Good work with the moulding. From here it looks pretty much ready for use. I would pull a few spares though as this type of work can go pear shaped in the wave of a Martian's tentacle. (I said tentacle Ced!)

Martian

• Like 5

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Yeah it does look as if you only have a bit of modelling to do now

Those side walls might just need bended sheet polycard added

Looking VERY good Tony

I am most sincerely obliged for the patient guidance on this Bill - consider my hat well and truly doffed in your direction. :worthy:

Those side walls - I've just glued some balsa on the blunt end of the buck with the intention of lengthening it by about 5mm -  I had to add a little to the damaged tip of the BT anyway. As to rigidity, I'm considering laminating two sheets together in the next pull because 'For Science!' ....

6 hours ago, perdu said:

I bet you're glad we learned you how to play this new game

Despite the painstaking nature of the shape-work involved I'm delighted to have had my hand forced in this way Bill; having the support of such friends here is a wonderful experience.

Only trouble is, you've now gone and made resin moulding look so blasted attractive with those lovely Bucc benches that I'm already casting a quizzical eye over the stash to see what might require resin input!:lol:

5 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Oooo. That looks good. A very nice profile continuing from kit parts to your vac formed BT.

To me; very impressive. Looks like a professional aftermarket conversion set.

:hmmm: 💰 💰 💵 💵.

Must agree with Monsieur 'a little off course', that a pair of pieces of slightly curved plastic card, and Robert is your dad's sibling :thumbsup2: .

Best regards 

TonyT

Thanks Tony!:thumbsup2: I'll pull a few spares just in case others want to similarly share in The Joy of Boxcar. 

Taping that boom on earlier I had a bit of a shock to realize how big this is blighter going to be - about 350mm from nose to tail and I haven't even worked out the eventual vertical drop of the pole/parachute arrangement. I doubt it will fit in the rather modest display cabinet in the living room.

4 hours ago, hendie said:

oh, nice advancery on the sucking front there Baron.  I don't know how visible the rippling of the plastic is when viewed by the Mk I in the flesh - black always seems to amplify any defect, and you're always going to get some extent of variation of the surface when sucking. Perhaps a nice coating or two of high build primer will provide the finishing touch when flattened.

Thanks for that hendie - and likewise my gratitude to you for all the oversight and information. I tried to take a photo just now to let you see the the surface qualities but as it's black I could either expose for the highlight and have nothing showing in the darker areas, or expose for shadow and have the glossy surface over-exposed with specular highlight everywhere. 

To the eyeball there are faint traces of grain along the underside, some slight bumpiness in places along the sides, whilst the curves of the upper surface seem to have come out best of all with only a ding or two. That's simply the bare wood smoothed by hand with W&D 2500.

Comparing kit and vacform surfaces to the actual aircraft:

35883601316_255f1675c0_b.jpg

The vacform variations look more effective than the smoothness of the kit, or to put it another way, I'm finding the imperfections in the vacform more pleasing when lining it up against the real thing seen here, as opposed to the 'perfection' of the kit surface.

There's going to have to be a compromise of course - we can't have the finished build with two obviously different sets of tetxures between injection mould and vacform additions. I reckon the vacform can be smoothed sufficiently with some W&D, folowed by Alclad II Black Primer and Microfiller in order to further blend it in with the kit moulding (which I'd previously test-modified by irregularly sanding down the raised panel lines in places to give visual expression of the kind of imperfections you see in the shots of Pelican 9 above). I wish there was some technique to give the kit that 'used-mosiac' surface texture you see here but I need to bear in mind the necessity for the final surface effects to look in-scale visually, rather than ending up producing a lovely Roman villa floor with wings...

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Good work with the moulding. From here it looks pretty much ready for use. I would pull a few spares though as this type of work can go pear shaped in the wave of a Martian's tentacle. 

Or indeed Pear's soap!

il_570xN.519175423_imkh.jpg

• Like 9

Very nice Tony, it's getting very close now... :) 

Tentacles Martian? I know that's what you said, but is it what you meant? :wicked: 

• Like 6

This could be a really awful suggestion.

A bit like telling a friend that it would be good for them if they spent some time  in a Siberian Gulag. It would really be for the best to be stood on a stool barefoot, the rest of the cell floor full of deep freezing water.

Sleep deprived due to the regular testing of an engine for a MiG in the room next door. Sewing your breadcrust into your mattress so that no one can steal it.

Ah well:

On the photo above, the C119 has a very regular surface texture. To my old, blurred, crazed and somewhat deranged, often maniacal eye, it looks like regular rectangles of rivets.

To get the surfaces to match, you could sand off all surface detail from the fuselage and use a 'Rosie the Riveter':

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?cPath=21_22

Or e.g. Rivet R.

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77_110

On all surfaces, both injected and vacformed.

I do imagine the actual rivetting process would be a quiet time. One of reflection, pondering, self realisation and so forth, but it would probably give a great result :thumbsup2: 

I've heard it's all the rage in the Czech Republic :)

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

On the photo above, the C119 has a very regular surface texture. To my old, blurred, crazed and somewhat deranged, often maniacal eye, it looks like regular rectangles of rivets.

To get the surfaces to match, you could sand off all surface detail from the fuselage and use a 'Rosie the Riveter':

Other riveting methods are available.  Just saying.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I tried to take a photo just now to let you see the the surface qualities but as it's black I could either expose for the highlight and have nothing showing in the darker areas, or expose for shadow and have the glossy surface over-exposed with specular highlight everywhere. 

Sir,

Might a quick squirt of Halfords finest (other spray can primers are available) make it easier to photograph?

However, the pictorial images you have already revealed to us show plastic forming by heat & vacuum of indubitably the highest quality! 

Yours sincerely

Most impressed, Swansea

• Like 4

Looking very good there Tony, you will have a marketable product there with that rear end buck.

Do you know about the curved scalpel technique to ruin perfect surfaces?

Trying it out on one of my Whirlwind builds and most effective, bit more of a chore on a shed the size of a 119 though!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, perdu said:

Doing it all the way

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice Tony, it's getting very close now... :) 

Thanks men! :thumbsup:

I felt an odd calm about working on it today - a bit different to the timidity I felt about the piece at the beginning of the week.

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Tentacles Martian? I know that's what you said, but is it what you meant? :wicked: 

Testicles are on an octopus:

She's just fantastic - I love her pieces to camera!

12 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

This could be a really awful suggestion.

I'm listening. Go on.

13 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Sleep deprived due to the regular testing of an engine for a MiG in the room next door. 

We have an idiot lives across the road from us who uses a farm tractor as the family car. The fecker even drives it round his front garden some evenings instead of using a wheelbarrow and leaves it noisily idling for hours - a MIG would at least have a bit of class.

But I digress - pray continue TT.

you could sand off all surface detail from the fuselage and use a 'Rosie the Riveter':

Sound suspiciously like a fetish Tony: is it that sort of thing even legal in Australia?:yikes:

I do imagine the actual rivetting process would be a quiet time. One of reflection, pondering, self realisation and so forth, but it would probably give a great result :thumbsup2: 

I had in fact purchased an item not dissimilar a while back for crimping the pastry on very small pies, however it might do:

1024694-13487-80-pristine.jpg

I held it up to the Boxcar just now to get an idea of what might be involved in carrying out such a task. It made pictures inside my head:

a3BDBv8_700b.jpg

It is an option TT, as you rightly point out, but one that scares me to bits quite frankly.:chilly:^_^

8 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Looks to me like someone has gone overboard with the CGI.

Michael Bay does 'The Boxcar Story'! Turns out the 'J' variant of the C-119 was a Transformer all along!:hypnotised:

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Other riveting methods are available.  Just saying.

It took a moment for the penny to drop there Crisp until I caught on! :lol:

The sheer acreage involved on this bird is intimidating no matter what the methodology. Once this vacforming stage is out of the way I need to sit down and have a good clear think about the best way to proceed. Whatever option, it has to give consistent and controllable results on both kit parts and vacform so I need to do up a list of pro and cons methinks.

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Might a quick squirt of Halfords finest (other spray can primers are available) make it easier to photograph?

Yes. And guess what I'm out of!:(

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

However, the pictorial images you have already revealed to us show plastic forming by heat & vacuum of indubitably the highest quality! 

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

Looking very good there Tony, you will have a marketable product there with that rear end buck.

My thanks for that Keith and James!

Niche-marketable perhaps?:hmmm: Well...I have been pondering options for a career-change. :whistle:

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

Do you know about the curved scalpel technique to ruin perfect surfaces?

No. It sounds intriguing James. Pray tell! :nodding:

A long session today, but polishing-up and preparing largely so no great dramatic scenes of modelling brio to relate.

I shaped down the extensions added to the forward part of the buck and the dent I'd added to the rear lip of the BT, then not wishing to lose the surface imperfections entirely, rubbed some PPP on with a moistened finger. Once dry some it was basically nail files and  W&D to shape and smooth all round:

35128274753_99fdf95ec4_c.jpg

I also took the precaution of incising a line (with a kitchen carving knife, for cutting weight)around the circumference of the buck to indicate where the cut needs to be made after vacforming in order to separate BT from fusealge rear. It seemed an easier proposition to include that detail here rather than trying to measure and mark shiny black plastic later on. 

You can just make out in the above shot where I'd pencilled-in a cutting line down the centre of the buck top and bottom to halve it for vacforming. Initially I'd intended to get Dexter out and simply saw through the length, but having started to get a feel for the material properties of the balsa when incising the separation line for fuslage and door, I decided to see how far I could continue with the kitchen knife method:

35805419661_c3101b6228_c.jpg

As it turns out, quite well indeed!

It helps if you have a cocked-up first attempt at the buck to rest it on to get a good cutting-angle of course, but nonetheless I found that simply rocking the knife back and forth sequentially all the way around the buck in turn gives a very controllable incremental cutting procedure. Economical too as once you're in by about 1cm all the way around, a slight twist of the knife splits the buck nicely:

35128275473_e7f211c3cc_c.jpg

The central lozenge of roughness you see here doesn't of course matter because it's only the outer perimeter of the cut that is critical for vacforming in this instance. Total cutting time approx. 4 mins all in.

The halved width should now gives us a thicker card profile on the next pull:

35805421031_5070f12a76_c.jpg

That was about 4 hours today in total, enough to return the bench to a customary bombsite appearance:

35128276273_888259b3b6_c.jpg

A final check and tidy on those halves next time and I reckon a it's time to go for the big one.

Have yourselves a lovely evening/morning chaps, whatever region of the globe you're in!

Tony

• Like 12