Catching Pictures in the Air

30 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Another of my hair brained, not quite formed ideas. Led lights inside the cargo bay (cockpit and wings etc) would be nice too :).

Blue ones, maybe? And a new TV series, starting next week "Pimp my Box(car)"......Ced can be the presenter!

Ian

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

My brain has been fuddling with the idea of a miniature 'Spy Camera' (seems pertinent to the subject) either cunningly built into the interior, or angled from a point outside. You could then view the interior on a monitor etc when you felt like it :photo: .

They're all prices, sizes and shapes. This one's disguised as a Phillips screw:

I was thinking the very same thing, I'm sure you could locate a reasonably priced used colonoscope on an auction site somewhere. (They come with their own light so you would save on LED's)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Good stuff Tony. I would have been tempted to go to the meeting with 'the sparkles', just to see what the reaction was!

I suspect it would only cement my disreputable persona within the instution. Either that, or I'd henceforth get to be referred to as 'Old Flaky-Scalp' on internal emails...

Nice work grinding the old stuff off Tony. Will you be hanging this from the ceiling?

I've been pondering your 'viewing the interior' conundrum.

My brain has been fuddling with the idea of a miniature 'Spy Camera' (seems pertinent to the subject) either cunningly built into the interior, or angled from a point outside. You could then view the interior on a monitor etc when you felt like it :photo: .

They're all prices, sizes and shapes. This one's disguised as a Phillips screw:

It presents the modeller with an interesting dilemma doesn't it TT? Is it evermorally correct to put a spy camera on an aircraft collecting spy photos...?:o 

Oddly enough, in one of the photos I have of Pelican 9 there is actually (what I take to be a 16mm) movie camera mounted on the ceiling looking out the back (presumably documenting the pickup), at 1/72 though even the tiniest camera I can see on Weevilbay would be oversize for the housing.

Another of my hair brained, not quite formed ideas. Led lights inside the cargo bay (cockpit and wings etc) would be nice too :).

Not that I'm trying to create unnecessary complications

Perish the thought old sprout! :lol: There is possible scope for a light or two....power might be an issue concealing a battery and switch....:hmmm:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Blue ones, maybe? And a new TV series, starting next week "Pimp my Box(car)"......Ced can be the presenter!

Ian

3 minutes ago, hendie said:

I was thinking the very same thing, I'm sure you could locate a reasonably priced used colonoscope on an auction site somewhere. (They come with their own light so you would save on LED's)

:rofl::rofl:!!!!

I think sometimes it's best if I think these ideas through a little more, before posting :dunce: :lol:

T

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Thats a lot of ribs removed Sir.

As Adam said to God. :tumbleweed:

....Sorry. Theological jokes aren't my forte it seems.....:mellow:

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looks like a rather detailed build you`re on.

The audience aren't helping Simon. :huh: They kept 'suggesting' things on the last build too; it's as if as they sense I am not a strong-willed man....see what I mean?009637-simple-red-glossy-icon-arrows-han

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

:doh:

18 minutes ago, hendie said:

You...you meant for the model....didn't you hendie?:analintruder: This thread would get moved to the 'Figure Ready for Inspection' part of the forum otherwise...

12 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I think sometimes it's best if I think these ideas through a little more, before posting

That's against the Britmodeller code, and well you know it sunshine.:whip:

• Like 6

Just a quick short to finish off this evening's session:

33076979240_f469545835_c.jpg

Port side ground out as well now. This took half the time it did earlier, largely due to now having a feel for the necessary pressure and motion required to *not* accidentally add another window...

32616892864_e9d076e3a7_c.jpg

A bit different from when we last looked down here eh?

The next task is to start sanding all that smooth in preparation for filling any over-grinding. I've an idea about the most robust and convernient set of steps to build up the framework when the time comes, but will sleep on it for now.

Have a good night all.

:bye: Tony

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Thats a lot of ribs removed Sir.

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

As Adam said to God. :tumbleweed:

Crikey Tony, are you going to use the ribs to create the female crew? Very biblical...

Good job Sir, can't wait to see the build UP.

• Like 5

Look a decent use for those dodgy propellers

batteries in the nacelles and booms

props set up as switches

simples

Now of course, as I am in no way pervocative like wot my colleagues hereabouts 'can be considered to be occasionally' my comment can be considered on its considerable merits, looks like time to draw up the ribbing layouts and use the drawing as a basis for entering into the world of self etchingery

• Like 3

15 hours ago, rob85 said:

That's some swift retribution on those ribs Tony, nice work and a cunning home made laythe, of course why not....

Cheers Rob. I've an old drill sitting out in the shed that stopped working - I'm half inclined to see if the motor and chuck can be salvaged and mounted on a block of wood to make something a little less jury-rigged...

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Crikey Tony, are you going to use the ribs to create the female crew? Very biblical...

Good job Sir, can't wait to see the build UP.

Page 4 and as is customary on a Baron build, more is currently coming off the kit than being stuck on...:ike:

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oh my. This may take some time.;) X2

Possibly enough to keep your great-grandchildren entertained as well....:lol:

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Great! you have no choice but to scratch build the interior now.

Bridges well and truly burnt - no going back now! :rolleyes: Psst! Wanna buy some granulated C-119 ribs?

33343371241_8be9da63c2_c.jpg

If you don't want them I'll put them up on Weevilbay listed as 'rare'. No less technically accurate than some of the descriptions up there and rather the ultimate in flogging a kit off part-by-part...

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

ye gads!

Gads well and truly ye'd now....BTW, if you ever snap a file James, don't throw the broken blade away - it makes a perfect planing/levelling tool for the inside of a fuselage, as it can lay flat along the surface:

33343371871_4060c55ebd_c.jpg

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Look a decent use for those dodgy propellers

batteries in the nacelles and booms

props set up as switches

Ah. More of this 'help' people keep talking about on the forum! :doh::lol:

simples

For whom? :chair:

Now of course, as I am in no way pervocative like wot my colleagues hereabouts 'can be considered to be occasionally' 

Objection your honour! <Objection sustained counsel> Thank-you m'lud.

looks like time to draw up the ribbing layouts and use the drawing as a basis for entering into the world of self etchingery

May I show the jury a short film m'lud?

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Muhahaha :devil:

Here's the site of  the muhahaha as of this morning Tomo :):

33343372531_c46d91e736_c.jpg

Filed down now, followed by a (wet) going-over with wet n' dry and I'm rather please with that so far. A little filler in the deeper gouges and Mr.Surfacer to level, and we should be good for the next stage. :thumbsup2:

3 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Indeed! Lots of white styrene, lovely!

'Youve Been (Internally) Framed'. New on ITV this Spring....

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

May I show the jury a short film m'lud?

:rofl::rofl::dinosaur:

Might it be easier to stick a piece of 5 or 10 thou plasticard over the gouges & redrill the window holes Tony, rather than fill & sand? 

Keith

Edit, thinking about it, it probably wouldn't, as it would increase the depth of the window holes & then said windows probably wouldn't fit...!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I've an old drill sitting out in the shed that stopped working - I'm half inclined to see if the motor and chuck can be salvaged and mounted on a block of wood to make something a little less jury-rigged...

or if you're feeling lazy - check out bead lathes on ebay. They can be had for less than $50 with free shipping

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

:rofl::rofl::dinosaur:

Might it be easier to stick a piece of 5 or 10 thou plasticard over the gouges & redrill the window holes Tony, rather than fill & sand? 

Keith

Edit, thinking about it, it probably wouldn't, as it would increase the depth of the window holes & then said windows probably wouldn't fit...!!

Not if he drill's the 'oles to the same size as the internal recesses that the winders sit in,heh-heh.

I wouldn't use those dodgy Aeroproducts fans for light switches,what if the CSU gives up the ghost?

Strobe lighting inside a 119G,strobe lighting I tell 'Eee all.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

The PPP route worked pretty well in the end Keith. :thumbsup2: Pictures below....

5 hours ago, hendie said:

or if you're feeling lazy - check out bead lathes on ebay. They can be had for less than $50 with free shipping

Thanks hendie. :thumbsup2: I now realize that there was a hole in my life that is the exact shape of a bead lathe. Top-level discussions will commence this weekend with Mrs. B on the matter...

3 hours ago, Miggers said:

Not if he drill's the 'oles to the same size as the internal recesses that the winders sit in,heh-heh.

That's just too elegant a solution for me Miggers. I've plumped for slathering the blighter in PPP:

33438865496_630b3b5e74_c.jpg

After trying and discarding various tools, it was easiest just to apply the PPP with your fingers, rubbing it in like you would suntan lotion into Felicity Kendall's back, before adjusting your medallion and lighting a cheroot. Wait. That was out loud, wasn't it?:S

3 hours ago, Miggers said:

Strobe lighting inside a 119G,strobe lighting I tell 'Eee all.

Look into the Boxcar Miggers. The Boxcar has you in it's thrall....

giphy.gif

After getting back from work this evening and treating everyone to a guilty kebab supper from the new takeaway that's opened in the village (actually it's the only takeaway in the village, but they make their own flatbreads), a vigorous wet sanding for the Box (oi, behave!):

33438866176_4019401745_c.jpg

2500 grit, and about 15 minutes work on each side to reach this stage. Yes it leaves the window openings all mucky and needing tidying up later, but imo is an easier and more controllable process, given that the main concern here is obviously to ensure a regular profile on both sides so that we don't end up with unsightly and variable gaps when we come to start adding the framework. Oh dear. I've started saying 'we'. Is that a sign of pretentiousness or incipient stability issues?

Once that had dried off over the stove, a further 10 minutes a side dry sanding this time and we/I end up with this:

33438866876_e817a41b05_c.jpg

All birr-gouges now made good, and a squint of scrutiny down the tunnel in oblique light reveals a pleasing regularity has resulted:

33438867356_9d3bba3331_c.jpg

Clean out those portholes and a snort of primer on that tomorrow I reckon.

You might have noted in the news that our Stuffed Shirt of a Taoiseach was sucking-up to the Bilious Tangerine in Washington today on account of it being Paddy's Day tomorrow. As a feckless public servant I therefore have the day off and hope to celebrate through the medium of plastic.

Conversing with Navy Bird over on his magnificent Canberra build earlier I was delighted to find a fellow devotee of King Crimson, consequently I am seized now with a sudden desire for complex time signatures and guitar phrasing...

'Cigarettes, ice-creams.Figurines of the Virgin Mary...'

:bye: Tony

• Like 16

You do make me laugh Tony - just what I needed :D

Nice smooth sides, lovely shapes... but enough about Felicity - that model's looking grand.

New takeaway place in the village? Bristol has a mobile one called 'Jason Donner Van' - gurt lush, apparently.

Have a good day tomorrow, begorra. Post some pictures of the green outfit and Guinness. Or is that just a stereotype?

• Like 5

Cripes only on here can I read of wild fantasies involving kebabs and rubbing PPP into Felicity Kendall's back... After staring too long at that hypno box thingy I'm just gonna have to get a bead lathe, the entire collection of the Good Life DVDs and a kebab recipe book...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Thanks hendie. :thumbsup2: I now realize that there was a hole in my life that is the exact shape of a bead lathe. Top-level discussions will commence this weekend with Mrs. B on the matter...

Even though I bought a mini lathe for the train build, I'm starting to think along those very same lines, and there are jobs where it doesn't make sense to fire up the lathe, but the bead lathe might come in real handy. I especially like the version with the twin motors.  

• Like 2

Happy st Patrick's day! I will be toasting his good self once I've finished work, if it's a quiet day I may start before...

thats some one very nice wet sanding, I've never tried PPP but maybe I should 

Rob

• Like 1