Catching Pictures in the Air

Those masks look amazing Tony. Very professional. Tempted to invest myself...pay day end of month...must resist.

Damn you Ced, you've got a lot to answer for.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:09 PM, The Spadgent said:

This is getting serious now. Very cool work going on. I’m sure I can get you some 1/72 scale hydraulic fluid molecules on the dark web.:lol: for those in the know. 

While you at it Johnny see if you can get hold of some Adamantium pitots for me please.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

It's been said before and I'm sure it will be said again :)

(No puns on 'Ced said' required, thanks!)

Tomo you could always buy a 'club cutter' to spread the cost... they're going to be asking you for stuff anyway, I'll bet!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, giemme said:

not for that last picture ...

Clearly sir you are no Friend of the Gherkin,

Nor tickled by the pickle. :lol:

5 hours ago, CedB said:

But you'll have thought of that I'm sure

It does indeed seem to be the only way Ced. :thumbsup2:

21 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice masks sir, but I am still baffled by it all.

Dammit Simon

, Did those pictures of me at the Club El Bizarro leak to the press? And I though no-one would recognize me in that Steve Strange mask....

21 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I thought I already ticked that box when I signed up for this three ring circus.....

You make a fair point Pete.:lol:

20 hours ago, perdu said:

I see the outside bit can/should be/is 'x' is there a way from science/mathematical principles that can be expected to calculate the differences in curves, angles and plain sizes for an insides mask?

I have found in earlier times when attempting to mask inside the holes that I am dealing with fish of some different kettles

I have understandings of this that you are meaning.

But I got put in CSE maths at school for asking non-math questions. :crying:We started algebra, x = and y2  and all that but that interested me less than why they were called x and y in the first place, and where the letters  x and y came from originally: quick way to discover that teachers just out of training college in the 70s  rarely had a taste for developing the gift of enquiry in the young. 

Or indeed a sense of humour. 

My non-math sense says that the outer side is one plane, 2D panels identical dimensions on both sides, but for the inner (where curved in three dimensions) treat as a second plane shrunk down by the thickness of material separating them. That rule-of-thumb kind of worked sort of for me earlier:

26990320588_58c7ff64c0_c.jpg

Des Carts and I Jack Newton are now rotating at 200rpm in their respective graves of course.

Pity Boullée’s monument to Newton never got built, there just aren't enough Big Round Buildings With Stars In Them about today:

N7701015_JPEG_4_4DM.jpg?1403151409

19 hours ago, hendie said:

I just found out the Red Hot Chili Pipers are playing in Wilmington tonight so and just heading off to see if I can get a ticket - wish me luck

Did you get to the gig? Hope so.

19 hours ago, hendie said:

and I'll comment on your posts when I get more time Tony 

Not until you clean your teeth after all that garlic you won't....

18 hours ago, Chillidragon said:

By an odd coincidence I've just spent two tasty days devouring an enormous dish of Tabouleh (Israeli style, lots of mint) with Khubz Libnani.

Chillidragon, I have to ask - you weren't actually eating for the entire 48 hrs were you? Granted to you said the dish was enormous, but....gosh.

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

It’s magic I tells you.

It is Johnny! The kind of thing you can't help giggling at with incredulity at it working....

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

Those masks really are top notch!

Thanks Roger - I'm most impressed with the quality the Portait 2 is capable of, at least on the Washi sheets I've been testing.

Here is is its output on top compared to some Maketar Balkenkruez below:

39966626625_b5f01af88e_c.jpg

Accounting for the different textures of the two mask materials, cut quality is indistinguishable to my eye.

4 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Stunning Tony! B)

Much appreciated John.:thumbsup2:

3 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Those masks look amazing Tony. Very professional. Tempted to invest myself...pay day end of month...must resist.

I'm no expert Tomo, but it may prove impossible for you to live a settled existence without acquiring said item. It's a risk you need to weigh very carefully, examine from all angles & etc.

Took me all of five minutes to go through those stages before pushing the  'Add to Basket' button...

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Tomo you could always buy a 'club cutter' to spread the cost... they're going to be asking you for stuff anyway, I'll bet!

26 minutes ago, perdu said:

Oi Buffers old bean are you trying to stop the club paying for the coach to Duxford (Dacksford?) in May?

:rofl2:

I'd knocked up the awkward lozenge-shaped masks for the front windows quicker this morning now that I'd a better feel for the Studio - managed to mangle one of the masks with clumsy handling (the taller of the bottom two in the shot below as you can see) but that was the only casualty and has since been replaced:

40819157392_deff8f27a1_c.jpg

I won't say effortless but from the initial drawing out to the masks being in place was about 10 minutes tops, certainly of far higher quality than anything I'd have been capable of producing freehand, with all those nasty curved corners to be kept symmetrical...

• Like 10

Fascinates me it do

Does this mean that the ones from this morning are the ones for the insides?

Also, when dealing with masks do you have to impose any damage upon the mask to remove it from its background pieces/

Is it done by slipping a knife under an edge?

As you can see I genuinely am not masking tool familiar, fascinates and undoubtedly scares me :(

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Did you get to the gig? Hope so.

We did.  Even although the tunes weren't tunes I would normally ever listen to it was still a blast for the most part.  A few bits I hated but mostly enjoyed the proceedings.

7 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Not until you clean your teeth after all that garlic you won't....

:rofl2:

I've done that several times now and I'm still vampyre free.   I'm not entirely sure what the half life of whipped garlic is

8 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

My non-math sense says that the outer side is one plane

Isn't the inside the same plane too or have you got some kind of Tardis thing going on here?

You seem to be mastering the art of maskery with expediency.  I have one of those sitting in the basement - it was used for several train parts but I must admit I was never happy with the quality of the cuts, or more correctly, the translation of the art geometry to the final cut.  It just never seemed to handle curves with any degree of accuracy, and wasn't all that good on straight lines either.

Now was it a cheap machine.

The stuff you are producing further up the page looks top notch

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, hendie said:

I've done that several times now and I'm still vampyre free.

In that case new teeth are the only option. 3D printed teeth anyone?

38 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

We started algebra, x = and y2  and all that but that interested me less than why they were called x and y in the first place, and where the letters  x and y came from originally

Me too. And we had a Polish maths teacher with an atrocious accent, so I stood no chance.

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, perdu said:

Does this mean that the ones from this morning are the ones for the insides?

Hi Bill.

Yes  - here they are in place now:

26990320658_16056bfc1c_c.jpg

IIRC I pulled in the dimensions of the inner curved sections by about 0.2mm all the way around from the previous set last night. The only correction needed anywhere else was an extra strip I had to add to the outer edge of the port windshield that was necessary to cover a 0.2mm gap due to the fact that the frame is slightly out by that much on that side, otherwise painless to do.Looking at the photo below I notice a discrepancy in the way the line along the edge of the roof console angles in at the back to meet the rear of the canopy - that needs rectifying with an sliver of offcut:

40819157612_1d32f8a19f_c.jpg

39 minutes ago, perdu said:

Also, when dealing with masks do you have to impose any damage upon the mask to remove it from its background pieces/

Is it done by slipping a knife under an edge?

Absolutely, or in my case a single-sided razor blade: With the Washi sheet, It's just fixed to the adhesive mat that comes with the Portrait to hold it in place during cutting, and then it can be eased off with the blade for use like this:

39051897120_01815fb466_b.jpg

As long as you take your time it will come off as pristine as it went on.

27 minutes ago, hendie said:

We did.

Cool Daddio.

I'm not entirely sure what the half life of whipped garlic is

Close to that of  14C I believe....:tooth:

Isn't the inside the same plane too or have you got some kind of Tardis thing going on here?

It's complicated hendie. The 'merge' function still needs some fine-tuning as you can see:

p00150_021-raaf-avro-anson-crash-1940.jp

The stuff you are producing further up the page looks top notch

They seem to have definitely upped the quality in what the Portrait 2 is capable of producing. From what is effectively a consumer-level machine it seems pretty pukka - I'm certainly impressed so far with regard to 1/72 scale proceedings. It'll be interested to have a look at the deep cut blade and see what it is capable of with sheet plastic at a later date too.

22 minutes ago, giemme said:

A knife or very pointy tweezers, that's what I use. HTH

:thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

3D printed teeth anyone?

How long before new technology leads to a 'Bodily Replacements' section on the forum? :analintruder:

Dying to start sloshing some primer around the innards of this beastie but I need to be careful and check that all outstanding jobs are complete first.Just checking everything done so far fits at either end:

26990320758_9fed97c403_c.jpg

With regard to the BT, there's still some unfinished business with the brackets and guides. First thing is to mark out the alignment of the upper angled braces to the BT:

40860578091_17458cb4b4_c.jpg

Currently erring towards soldering a bit of brass roodto the outer side of the bracket in order to pin it to the BT in a moresecure fashion:

40860578061_f5b6af1850_c.jpg

Better view of the port side:

40819157772_72d0a708cf_c.jpg

With the fuselage split open again you can see the region a bit better:

26990320808_3b184a3e88_c.jpg

I'll come back to this tomorrow, get these fixings finished off, tidy up and extant masking and then do an inventory of everything that needs priming. A lot of bits from the insides that I've already forgotten how they go together....

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

This cutting system is amazing, as it's  amazing the program to draw.

I'd like to, but I'll never be able to use something like that!!!:tmi:

You got a great result and I'm really looking forward to seeing some colour on her!!!:D

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Chillidragon, I have to ask - you weren't actually eating for the entire 48 hrs were you? Granted to you said the dish was enormous, but....gosh.

Burrrrrrrrrrrp!!

Bring on the trumpets!

Edited by Chillidragon
  • Haha 1

Great work with the masks Tony, you've obviously mastered the Portrait! :clap:

I almost bought one of the deep blades after my Plasticard cutting attempts so I'll be very interested to see how you get on should you decide to buy one (we all know you will...!) The only thing that made me dither was that I don't think they're 'automatic' and that you need to set the blade depth 'manually'? Shouldn't be too much of a problem though eh?

14 hours ago, hendie said:

I have one of those sitting in the basement - it was used for several train parts but I must admit I was never happy with the quality of the cuts, or more correctly, the translation of the art geometry to the final cut.  It just never seemed to handle curves with any degree of accuracy, and wasn't all that good on straight lines either.

Hendie I watched your trials with the cutter with interest and it worried me a little when I was considering my purchase... but it's a big beast you have and, I guess, the earlier generation? The Portrait 2 certainly seems to cut very well on both straight lines and tight curves and you can 'slow down' the cut speed for more delicate designs. I love it!

19 hours ago, perdu said:

Blimmin wonderful Tony, this modern world

Ta Bill. :thumbsup2:

I wouldn't mind so much if I could soak it up as well as I used to; I look at my lads seeming to soar and dive like terns for fish it comes to knowledge, whereas I increasingly feel like one of those dowdy herring-gulls you see on the beach, laboriously examining each bag for an unattended sandwich. 

Noticed yesterday that West Dorset is bringing in byelaws to make it a public offence to feed the gulls. Given that the gull population at Lyme Regis operate as a bunch of 'help-yourself' privateers it would make more sense were the charge to read 'Failure to repel boarders' when your fish supper receives a sudden gulling....

Crabbing on the Cobb there with the lads when they were young a wing-ed blighter nicked the plastic bag beside us (that had within it a kitchen knife for slicing bait), banked-away and promptly dropped it in disgust onto the seats of an unoccupied cruiser in the middle of the harbour. I would love to have known the owner's reaction later upon entering their vessel to find a strange 6" long blade sitting on their upholstery, possibly suspecting some kind of Mafia warning from the harbour-master....

19 hours ago, massimo said:

I'll never be able to use something like that!!!

If I can get it to work Massimo, you can be damned sure someone of your dexterity can work wonders with it! :nodding:

14 hours ago, Chillidragon said:

Burrrrrrrrrrrp!!

Bring on the trumpets!

Delightful. :rofl2:

5 hours ago, CedB said:

I almost bought one of the deep blades after my Plasticard cutting attempts so I'll be very interested to see how you get on should you decide to buy one (we all know you will...!) The only thing that made me dither was that I don't think they're 'automatic' and that you need to set the blade depth 'manually'? Shouldn't be too much of a problem though eh?

I did a bit of 'research' (as you do) Ced and a bit vexed to find that the deep-cut blade isn't recommended for use with the Portrait 2. Rather vexing. I guess it takes a machine with a bit more oomph to drive a blade through thicker/denser materials.

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Beautiful work on those hinges Tony.

My thanks Martian. :thumbsup:

I wanted to get all of the angles and sizes finalized on those parts today; with three singularly-shaped parts on each side (each attached and working in different ways on the actual aircraft) it has been taxing my abilities to get everything correctly aligned, in scale, and strong enough to support the BT in the final analysis. There are so many ways it could go wrong juggling the variables each time you alter one part, not to mention keeping the BT at the correct angle (I noticed in some of my earlier shots that I'd positioned it upward at to extreme and angle, which is a perfect way of messing up the alignment of the various hinges and actuators), that it seemed time for an all-out obsessive assault on the problem once and for all.

Firstly then, the top angled brackets needed their attachement points to the BT finalized. The bracket itself doesn't appear to move but is a fixed entity, the rearmost end of it apparently sliding on some kind of runner above the side doors on each side. There's no close-up photographs of sufficient clarity and taken at the necessary angle, so I've built a 'best-guess' for this region based upon diagrams in the parts manual, starting by soldering some 1mm brass tube slightly offset at the end of each bracket in order to form a 'sticky-out bit' to look a sif it is fitted in the runner above the door:

40834533952_5252ef2c91_c.jpg

I switched out the old solder tip for a much finer one - should have done this some time ago as better control of heat on small parts such as this:

40167900644_56b835ce04_c.jpg

The tubing was then snipped and filed-down to length. The actual part on the aircraft appears much thinner in cross-section but at this scale, strength must take precedence:

39066342890_9f29a29f6d_c.jpg

Dry-fitted they look like they'll do:

40834533752_cfde5b02a1_c.jpg

Let's put the 'shelf' in above the side doors for those to rest on:

40167900594_911e0b58ae_c.jpg

Hopefully you get the 'runner' idea from this angle with the BT on:

27005661828_2f341c72d7_c.jpg

And t'other side as well:

39066343000_21ff654524_c.jpg

Feeling happy enough about the upper parts, time to similarly deal with the radii at the bottom:

39066343100_31f9740ea9_c.jpg

These are fixed to the BT, travelling back and forth through slots in the rear stations on either side in order to guide the upward rotation of  the BT. The curve on them is fine but my lengths were out by 2mm so snipped them off to fit (the ends are mounted flush against the door frame). For now I'm not going to stick any of those parts on until the interior is fully installed and the fuselage closed-up - there's no easy way of dealing with all the multiple attachment points involved but of all the options this should result in most control and less risk for snapping bits off. 

What next?

I want to lay out all the parts that are going to be shoved inside this aircraft - some of which I haven't looked at since last July - lay them out and do an inventory, then start to arrange them according to the colours. I expect I'll discover some bits needing repairs along the way too. I'm lucky to have tomorrow to play as well, it being a bank holiday here on Monday.

Although we won't be heading off on the summer hols until the beginning of July, myself and Mrs. B agreed to last night to splurge some of the spending money on buying both of our lads their first flying lesson each whilst we're over in Dorset. It's something I'd always wanted to do if we had sons and damn the expense. 

:bye:

Tony

• Like 13

5 hours ago, CedB said:

... and it worried me a little when I was considering my purchase... but it's a big beast you have and, I guess, the earlier generation?

I'm not sure Ced.  All I know is that we went with the reviews all of which stated it outperformed the competition with ease, had plenty of oomph, and handled styrene effortlessly.  I've spent hours with it but for the most part have just been disappointed with the results.

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I did a bit of 'research' (as you do) Ced and a bit vexed to find that the deep-cut blade isn't recommended for use with the Portrait 2. Rather vexing. I guess it takes a machine with a bit more oomph to drive a blade through thicker/denser materials.

Ooer... Silhoutte say it works... but while I was looking I did see some deep blades for the old models?

These guys sell them but don’t recommend them for the original Portrait that doesn’t have the 2’s extra cutting depth. Perhaps that’s where the confusion comes from?

Go on, try it , then I’ll get one too (three four) :wicked: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, hendie said:

I'm not sure Ced.  All I know is that we went with the reviews all of which stated it outperformed the competition with ease, had plenty of oomph, and handled styrene effortlessly.  I've spent hours with it but for the most part have just been disappointed with the results.

That’s a shame Hendie - I followed your Pullman cutting with interest and it did seem like a battle of wills. :(

Hopefully we can get the Baron to try it and then... hold on, he’s buying flying lessons for the boys? Guilty now...

Perhaps I’ll get one and try it out for us then...

Edit: Ordered one of these. We shall see!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, CJP said:

beautiful fine work with the brass and soldering iron

Thanks mister. :thumbsup2: That smaller tip on the iron really helped getting the solder in to a very limited/region without as much excess as I'd have ended up with in the past.

7 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Great work on the soldering Tony.

Keep safe in the snow.

Thanks on both counts Simon. We had a grand total of about three flecks of snow today so have clearly escaped the savages I see happening across the Irish Sea. Hope the sundry  BM massive are safely tucked with either a) a warm model (kit!) or B) a warming glass of something.

To think it's the Spring equinoxe on Tuesday! Crazy!

7 hours ago, CedB said:

These guys sell them but don’t recommend them for the original Portrait that doesn’t have the 2’s extra cutting depth. Perhaps that’s where the confusion comes from

That's good to know  I was wrong Ced - thanks for the link! :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Ordered one of these. We shall see!

Knew if I waited and counted to three....:lol:

Course, I'll be on tenterhooks (what are tenterhooks anyway? :hmmm::shrug:) until you get it and start slicing your own ham and bacon...

Update: these are tenterhooks apparently:

tenterhooks.jpg

Mr Butterfield has a nice exposition here:

https://jeremybutterfield.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/749/

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

We had a grand total of about three flecks of snow today so have clearly escaped the savages I see happening across the Irish Sea. Hope the sundry  BM massive are safely tucked with either a) a warm model (kit!) or B) a warming glass of something.

Well it`s snowing here again Tony,not hard but enough to cover the roads etc in Portsmouth.

Ski`s on tomorrow LOL (Portsmouth is nigh on flat).

Simon.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Update: these are tenterhooks apparently:

tenterhooks.jpg

Mr Butterfield has a nice exposition here:

https://jeremybutterfield.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/749/

Ha, you beat me to it Tony, just googled & found that link.

I wonder how long it'll take @CedB to buy some, he's bound to see a use for them....!! :D

Keith

• Haha 5