Catching Pictures in the Air

15 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

All taking shape.

Gracias Don Simon! :thumbsup2:

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

what the hell is that.... ahem “Orange” masking tape?

It's Orville Tape:

40681544132_560a870581_c.jpg

You can purchase it here Johnny and make your own favourite portrait of the bilious bird spring to life:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DKI9816/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

13 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Just caught up on this thread. Incredible stuff. I'm loving it all!

Thanks for that Terry - you are very welcome along.:thumbsup2:

I can only apologize about some of the rum company I seem to attract on here however...

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Wot! No Berna clamp! (Hunts for Mr Chad emoticon to no avail...)

Great work as usual Tony - coming together nicely :)

Mucho Inglesias Ced.

1499348316_032426_1499348987_noticia_nor

Gracias!

I meant Mucho Gracias!

:doh:

God my French is terrible.

2 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Nice hydraulics Tony... Ooh arrh missus.

No-one's ever said that to me before Tomo.

You'll have to excuse me mate...welling up... :crying:

2 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Blimey you've got a good memory mate. I struggle with anything I did last night...

Now I'm sure that's got you out of many a tight corner in the past Tomo...! :lol:

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The workings of a beaver’s tail, beautifully rendered in unfeasibly tiny brass.

Most kind Crisp. :nodding:

Right.

It's mid-Saturday morning, lashing with rain outside, and I've superglued two fingers together. Mrs B has stolen my magnifying visor, both my teenage sons are unconscious upstairs and I've promised to use up a glut of duck's eggs by bulk-making quiches for the remainder of the day. Despite these circumstances - or perhaps because of them - I was up early with a song in my heart. As said ballad was something light by Napalm Death it involved an abrupt intervention on the gizzard of the Box with a pair of pliers. If thine right eye bit of brass offends thee, out with it:

40014302724_2480a8b362_c.jpg

In other words I felt humiliated at how bad those perforated brass panels were that I'd had inside there previously and resolved this morning to make one final attempt to get them at least adequate to the task. Having slept on the problem I now realize that I need to get a small pillar drill (or one of those unfortunately pricey pillar that you can clamp a Dremel in) for such tasks as drilling lines of holes, though such a purchase will be some time of due to recent largesse on the Portrait cutter. Nonetheless I marked out some 2mm plastic strip and very very slowy hand-drilled each hole whilst each piece was sandwiched between two metal rulers in order to counteract the tendency for the drilling process to deform them. The ones near the back door are now regular enough to match the quality of the other parts of the interior:

40681544192_d1bc2e981a_c.jpg

The forward pairing of strips I've replaced but left undrilled as the holes are so invisible as not warranting inclusion in the gloom of distance.

You can see I've finished off the interior detailing there as well, epoxying in the hydraulic sleeves, adding various junction boxes to the walls, and reinstating the two narrow tubular fittings that run the length of the fuselage - one of them being the mounting bar for the webbing of the jump seats along the edges. It doesn't seem a lot to the casual eye now that I look at it but it represents a couple of crucial hours work that lets me move on to other matters without 'The Baggage of Lingering Doubt'.

Memo to self: mask all them bloody portholes again before lashing any primer around inside there....

Possibly more later, possibly not - depends upon quiche production...

:bye:

Ciao for now....

• Like 12

You'd best be as quiche as you can then...

Sorry nah I'm not really sorry, it had to be done

Duck egg quiche?

Possibly interesting, possibly not I'm no gourmand but I do like a bit of well drilled plastic, s'long as I don't gotta eat it

Don't forget to mask the windows, willya!

😁

• Like 1

Tony, you shouldn't be allowed to post Julio Iglesias pictures without early warning, should you? :rofl:

Meticulous job on those interiors (and I mean it in the best possible way :wink: )

As Bill says, don't forget them windows 

Ciao

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Giorgio, it involves that most English of habits - gentleman dressing up as women. :lol:

Dr. Evadne Hinge and Dame Hilda Bracket were two musical grande dames of the English shires lovingly created by the actors George Logan and Patrick Ffyfe in the theatre, radio and television from the early 70s.

Oh man!  you're telling me that they're dudes!!

Excellent work, I'm trying to be more wordy, but excellent work!

Edited by 71chally
  • Haha 4

Much better strips Tony, good job.

A pillar drill thingy eh? Hmmm, tempting... but I think I'll do without; my scratch building hasn't even got to the soldering stage yet :)

• Like 1

So I said to the vicar, 'Well, I can't believe it's not butte-'

Ah, Its yourselves.

<Ahem>

23 hours ago, perdu said:

Duck egg quiche?

Comes up fluffier n' hens eggs imho Bill:

40701165502_0824a54884_c.jpg

Gruyère and red pepper to the right, two Parmesan, mushroom and thyme to the left. (Fat Baron still belching garlic this morning on account....)

23 hours ago, perdu said:

Don't forget to mask the windows, willya!

23 hours ago, giemme said:

As Bill says, don't forget them windows 

Done! :lol: 

Then realized I still have to do the inside of the canopy and the odd rectangular bits up in the nose.:confused:

23 hours ago, giemme said:

you shouldn't be allowed to post Julio Iglesias pictures without early warning, should you?

I thought it was Inglesias o'clock, but clearly hadn't allowed for trans-European time zones Giorgio!

(Sincere apologies caro amico...):D

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

Oh man!  you're telling me that they're dudes!!

Dear boy, I've some possibly disturbing news for you about The Two Ronnies....

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Much better strips Tony, good job.

They needed to be!

Side being let down, copy-book blotted...muttter mutter...:lol:

46 minutes ago, CJP said:

some really serious scratch building is on display in BM at the moment

:thumbsup: :nodding:

This forum is a constant source of inspiration, leaving one's loins in a permanent state of girdedness...

Pleased to able to announce a bit of a breakthrough this morning. :clap2:

Cooking a Mater's Day lunch later so lunged in to the workroom first thing for a tinker, ending up with this:

40743757811_454161c4c6_c.jpg

A workable Beaver on the Box!

A quick recap on how we got to this state of affairs then. This was the task in hand, sorting out mounting and entry points on the Beaver Tail:

40033029384_81fe175f6c_b.jpg

The graphic should be self explanatory (labels are mine, not original on the documentation) and I've bunged up the best views of the region above that I could find from the Star Catchers oral history book.

I reckoned that as it involved some more delicate drilling into a thin plastic cross-section, that the hydraulic ram would prove the most troublesome to achieve: if I could get that right then the top and bottom brackets/guides could follow on after. Here's the initial marking-out of the hydraulics underway:

26872653718_cf4b02e83a_c.jpg

The more alert amongst you - at least more alert than I was - will realize that although I initially marked the outline of the hydraulic out on the BT at about a 40° angle for drilling, it does in fact to need to be drilled perpendicular to the forward face of the BT in order to reproduce the upward angle of the BT during the recovery phase:25872964537_b7c03f9760_c.jpg

This was the first moment that I sensed that this crazy plan might possibly work  - the BT mounted onto the hydraulic ram for the first time:

40743757431_59147f47dc_c.jpg

Even looks like it should as a scale version, re. disappearring neatly into the framework:

26872653758_6fae65b54d_c.jpg

Same procedure to starboard:

40701165572_297d33571a_c.jpg

Now at this point the snug fit and robustness of the structure was encouraging but it was time for a dry fit with the fuselage taped up and the BT plonked onto those hydraulics:

26872653898_1a143e9057_c.jpg

Supported only on the hydraulics - it works! 

I experienced an  immense feeling of relief at this point - this was really the make-or-break point of the whole build, for if the vacformed rear section couldn't perform in this orientation with scaled-down components then the whole project was doomed in terms of a producing something visually realistic in relation to the actual aircraft:

26872654058_ccf9dc10e5_c.jpg

All very well that the parts might match in detail of course, but what about overall appearrances?

25872964907_6895bef413_c.jpg

40743757731_dbb6c41d38_c.jpg

Quite pleasing.

The inside perspective?

26872653978_c2332457aa_c.jpg

The view the crew had out the back (minus ceiling of course...):

40743757741_290abbc5f4_c.jpg

Just imagine...

25873573357_e3ef9a52c6_b.jpg

Off to get the lunch sorted now - more later in the week lads. 

Take care of yourselves til then.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

First things first: I cooked chicken brest sous-vide for lunch, with fries. Yhummy!

Barbera d'Alba went along with it - also very good :coolio:

Now back to the actual purpose of this thread: the hinge mechanism looks brilliantly good, and I reckon it's the real deal maker here, Tony :worthy::clap::clap:

Hat's duly off, Your Barony

Ciao

• Thanks 1

That's brilliant Tony. It really does look as though they actually work....however, I'm really sorry to break it to you at this stage, but you have made a major faux pas, to such a point it will undo all the work you have done on the hinges etc....

....you've forgot to account for the compression ratio of the molecules in the hydraulic fluid, because unless you reduce them by 1/72 too, then the bay won't open and shut. You're gonna have to find a way (have a word with Nigel Heath) to scale down the molecules otherwise you're hinges won't be strong enough.

Sorry about that Tony, but I wouldn't be much of a mate unless I was honest with you :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Like it very much. Have some nice cooking. Me too but I'm not sure what exactly for today. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt, hope you had a nice meal too. I'm currently reclining here having eaten too much pudding and not frankly expecting to eat anything for the rest of the day after such gluttony on my part...

3 hours ago, perdu said:

👌

:thanks:

3 hours ago, giemme said:

I cooked chicken brest sous-vide for lunch,

Sounds yummy! 

I hadn't come across that recipe before Giorgio so have made a note to try it. :thumbsup2:

Ended up braising mine in Normandie cider and crushed garlic....

3 hours ago, giemme said:

I reckon it's the real deal maker here,

This was indeed the big one: if I couldn't get that interface right then no amount of cosmetic work was going to hide it.

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

That interior is really starting to rock Baroness.

Such Arean encomium is warmly received Martian.

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

I'm really sorry to break it to you at this stage, but you have made a major faux pas,

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I commend Tomo’s sagacity.  Friends don’t let friends underestimate molecular scale errors.

Tut tut gentlemen. You are shockingly adrift in your reading on the potential afforded by  microfluidics I see:

http://news.mit.edu/2017/microfluidics-tree-on-chip-robots-move-0320

The bank of micro-actuators with which I've cunningly lined the top of the BT are regrettably of such a fine scale that they do not readily show up in photographs. 

Really - would I lie to you?

:winkgrin:

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Great innovative work, looks like you really could operate that tail with hydraulics as intended in the 1:1

Thanks Roger. :thumbsup2:

I've inevitably had to take liberties with some of the detail here at this scale, but hopefully not enough for it to become intrusive.

• Like 8

Hi Tony 

Wow looks amazing as always fella some cracking work.  I have to agree it is great to have a working Beaver !!!

I did my bit today to give SWMBO breakfast in bed on behalf of the kids so have tucked away those valuable brownie points for when needed. 

Keep up the great work 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

On 11/03/2018 at 6:55 PM, bigbadbadge said:

I did my bit today to give SWMBO breakfast in bed on behalf of the kids so have tucked away those valuable brownie points for when needed. 

Sensible lad Chris. Bank those for when Telford comes around eh? :D

On 11/03/2018 at 7:50 PM, CedB said:

Marvellous stuff

Ta Ced. :thumbsup2:

On 11/03/2018 at 9:15 PM, keefr22 said:

Don't really know whta to say

You know my analyst says the same thing about once a month....

giphy.gif

Wednesday and not a shred of brass or plastic touched since the weekend, though the Airfix Annie did arrive to cheer me up a day or so back. In relation to her arrival I've a quick question to ask the Britmodeller Research Fellowship if I may:

I want to build the canopy and glass work from scratch in the same fashion that I started on the Boxcar, but I would like to use something a bit more optically 'pure' and more even than scrap transparent packaging - does anyone have a recommendation for thin transparent plastic sheet (a sort of see-through version of plasticard) that I could purchase for said task?

I'm thinking of the  Evergreen .005" CLEAR ORIENTED POLYSTYRENE SHEET as a candidate material:

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collections/oriented-polystrene-clear-sheets/products/9005-005-clear-oriented-polystyrene-sheet

• Like 3

I like the look of the evergreen clear stuff but I have never tried it out

Yet

I get 0.06mm acetate sheet from my local artist's supply shop (Vesey Gallery)

The sell a large sheet which I presume is A1 size and then they guillotine it into a bunch of A4s for me

£6 in real money

I have also purchased PETg clear material which is superbly heat mouldable and available from 'the 'bay'

As you realise, most of my clear stuff handling is within the range of home moulded canopies

I think I will try the Evergreen stuff but it isn't likely to be good for moulding at only five thou thickness

But as it's polystyrene it should take proper glue nicely

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, perdu said:

PETg clear material which is superbly heat mouldable

I can confirm that, I use .300 mm thickness which I got from a supplier as free sample; it is super-clear, and stays like that also after forming. 

On the other hand, it's tricky to glue to polystyrene, so the Evergreen stuff seems interesting too (in fact, I did try to source from the same supplier some clear PS sheet, but he only had it in white)

As Bill says, five thou is pretty thin for moulding, though ...

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Agree with what Bill says about PET-G ....

I have some of the 5thou evergreen & haven't really found much use for it, as I'm too hamfisted to be able to stick it cleanly, it's so thin it has very little surface to grip to anything else and is very flexible. But I'm sure you'd find a way around that Tony! I've also got the 10 & 15 thou sheets and find those a little more user friendly in terms of sticking!

Keith 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

I've also got the 10 & 15 thou sheets and find those a little more user friendly in terms of sticking!

How are they in terms of clearness, if I may ask?

Ciao

1 minute ago, giemme said:

How are they in terms of clearness, if I may ask?

Ciao

They're pretty good Giorgio. I've found that much of the problems with the clearness of such plastic is surface scratching. The Evergreen packs I've bought have tissue paper between the sheets to protect them from that, so they stay nice & clear (at least until I start using them, usually on a dirty cutting mat!) Also, the Pet-G sheets I've bought off e-bay generally have film covering on both sides, so they're good too.

Keith

• Thanks 2