Catching Pictures in the Air

Get well soon Tony and don't forget, finish the course of antibiotics otherwise the little blighters will develop immunity (I finished mine on Friday!) :shutup:

• Like 1

Benedikt, Ian, Simon, Roger: thanks for the moral support chaps!

22 hours ago, giemme said:

might have the chance to catch up with this thread now, I got up to page 10 so far but with you doing pitstop .... :)

Given the amount I've recently redone in the last few weeks I should probably put a note on about page 20 saying: 'Now go to page 60...' :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, hendie said:

Tease!

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Spill the beans about the vac-form lest I use the Martian mind meld to get the information we require, you will feel a lot worse after that!

Oo-err! 

Given the general  contents of my mind, any life form attempting a mind-meld does so entirely at their own risk!

(Valmet Vihuri II...with the most exquisitely cast metal parts.):P

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

- good job you weren't flying a Boxcar when the gyro compass toppled, eh...?! :lol:

'Specially not flying over water! Survivability was not an option if one of these went down in the drink...

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oooh not nice vertigo.  :fraidnot: I had it once, some bits got dislodged in my ear canal and my eyes went haywire if I looked sharply left or right. Not quite what you have but if the spins are anything like what I experienced it’s a nightmare.

So that others can join in...

Get well soon Tony and don't forget, finish the course of antibiotics otherwise the little blighters will develop immunity (I finished mine on Friday!)

Thanks Ced - will do. I hope whatever nastiness you had is done with you now.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Thanks Ced - will do. I hope whatever nastiness you had is done with you now.

Thanks Tony, but sadly not. Bump on the back of the neck (pilar cyst, apparently) that's sore and wakes me up when I roll over in bed, dammit. Sorry if I'm grumpy of late. I'm currently negotiating with a man who uses Swann-Morton's for something that's not plastic... :)

Great video :sick: Looks beastly, I hope you're better soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Wotcha all.

Thankfully the external world has now ceased its 'fourth pint of scrumpy on a hot afternoon' routine and I was able to start moving about a bit yesterday for the first time. The enforced mobility was at least leavened by the levity of the forum. :lol:

I managed to plough through John Terraine's Business in Great Waters as well over the last couple of days: as an arc covering the U-boat development across both wars I expected good things of it but in the end couldn't be bothered finishing the last third from lack of interest. The book's not that old in comparative terms but it feels like an extremely dated kind of history writing already (of the kind of 'and then' military chronology that leaves me cold) Compared to the wider critical depth of say Daniel Massie's writing on naval subjects (his Dreadnought and Castles of Steel are superb) - for the most part Terraine falsely cleaves off warfare from its entanglement in the rest of the host societies involved.

On a more trivial note I stuck a door on:

25569051907_64a0f46bfd_c.jpg

Followed by mating the flight deck to the cargo floor of the aircraft:

38629789810_691081327e_c.jpg

This latter act seemed common sense as it would give me a solid datum to work out the positioning of all the other internals in relation to.

Leaving that to glue I moved on to the fuselage walls, firstly adding the hydraulics box at the rear of the port side that contains all the junctions for the flight-operable door:

25569057047_e98387cdb3_c.jpg

I then spent about an hour fashioning some replacement - well I'm calling them strengthening plates but as they don't seem listed in the parts manual I don't know what else to call them - perforated strips that go front and back along the walls:

38629791770_171209a949_c.jpg

As soon as I stuck the first one on it looked too soft and 'plasticky' for my liking as a part so I ripped it off again and binned the lot. Particularly galling as it had taken ages to get something halfways decent knocked out with the punch & die set. 

Clearly a new plan was required.

Foil was too flimsy so after rummaging around in my pile of brass sheets, the thinnest bit I have (don't ask me about widths, I'm useless they're labelled) seemed just strong 'strengthening plate-y' enough to do service, so I marked out four 2mm wide strips:

25569035827_15da180d47_c.jpg

Scored and snapped off, this panel of strips was then marked out for punching:

25569037727_dc01e32d00_c.jpg

I was not looking forwards to the inevitable 'fierce-concentration' demands of the next stage:

25569039057_d4b47b00f3_c.jpg

I left it all in a single sheet for punching out 1mm holes on two assumptions:

1. a biggee sheet would be less bendy
  2. having a grid (rather than single line) to work to would allow for better accuracy or hole-placement

A by-product of this was that at 1/72 scale I'm now fabulously rich with gold doubloons:

25569040417_57929d6916_c.jpg

The source of me vast wealth:

25569041977_14201b81cf_c.jpg

What these strips lack in precision they will make up for in expression:

25569044637_e60b499bab_c.jpg

It was quite frankly a PITA job to get them done to this standard, but in situ they'll give a decent enough representation of the aircraft parts in question:

25569047117_384f10839b_c.jpg

From the final viewing angle - which will be even more acute than this one below - not a lot will be seen anyway in the final display:

25569049287_e94c139f45_z.jpg

Aside from doing the windows and adding a couple of horizontal braces down each side, that's as much as the interior walls need. Before starting work on the various hinges at the very back of the fuselage, this piece hoves into view and requires interior detailing:

25569050447_94cbbc3912_c.jpg

More bloody perforations loom....

Nothing doing tomorrow - have to get up before 5am to head up to Dublin for a conference, which hould be fun trying to get there with Ireland meeting Wales in the Six Nations there on the same day. Men with funny-shaped balls &etc....

:bye:

Tony

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

As for men with funny shaped balls....

Can you actually say that and remain un-punished? :D

Great work on those interiors, Tony :clap:

Ciao

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

As soon as I stuck the first one on it looked too soft and 'plasticky' for my liking as a part so I ripped it off again and binned the lot.

Clearly a new plan was required.

Foil was too flimsy

Hhhmnnnnnnnn.... well, lemme think about that for a mo'....

I was not looking forwards to the inevitable 'fierce-concentration' demands of the next stage:

It was quite frankly a PITA job to get them done to this standard, but in situ they'll give a decent enough representation of the aircraft parts in question:

See - if you'd just taken my advice some posts ago about throwing caution to the wind, and signing up for this guys newsletters

640px-Mattheus_van_Hellemont_The_Alchemi

you could have knocked out those rails in about an hour or so  (I'm still a bit miffed we don't get to wear pointy hats and a cloak though - I think that would add a certain air of gravitas to the proceedings)

On the downside,

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

A by-product of this was that at 1/72 scale I'm now fabulously rich with gold doubloons:

you wouldn't be quite as rich in 1/72 scale doubloons

nice racks tho'

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Glad you're feeling better Tony and nice work on the 'never to be seen again strips with holes in' thingies.

Yes, there has been wine, but only as an attempt to stop the blasted lump pain :(

• Sad 1

Been away for a while and only just begun to catch up. What a thread!

Very sorry to hear you had vertigo problems - it's what did for me in the end and why I can't fly anymore. Glad you're feeling better!

Alan

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/23/2018 at 5:34 PM, Spookytooth said:

Great work Tony. The use of brass strips instead of plastic is a good choice.

Cheers Simon. I'm ever more inclined to reach for metal over plastic for such matters these days when it comes to getting that 'sharp' delineation to the edges of parts at this scale. I guess soft-drink can aluminium would have been an equally good choice in this instance...

On 2/23/2018 at 6:09 PM, giemme said:

Can you actually say that and remain un-punished?

Apparently! :lol:

Actually no. :hmmm:

I bought a sandwich out yesterday that had no filling in it so rugby-karma apparently asserted itself....

On 2/23/2018 at 8:16 PM, Hamden said:

Glad to see you back at the bench.

Nice progress on the interior as well

Much obliged to you for the sentiments on both counts Roger! :thumbsup2:

On 2/23/2018 at 8:49 PM, perdu said:

Good Tony, looks good

You're too kind Bill.

You and I can both see that some of the punched holes don't line-up along the metal lengths precisely. :( 

My inner perfectionist balks at presenting my comrades with sub-par results, but short of wasting hours on a detail that will be largely lost in the perspective I've just had to grit the teeth and move on to expend energies on more visible areas such as the door mechanism. Not least of all to build it in such a ways that it won't drop off of course. More on these factors below....

On 2/23/2018 at 11:10 PM, hendie said:

See - if you'd just taken my advice some posts ago about throwing caution to the wind, and signing up for this guys newsletters

:lol:

At first I thought that was St. Jerome lamenting my foolishness until I looked up the alchemical reference. Oddly enough alchemy is a long-tem fascination of mine, since reading about Jung's notions back in the early 80s.

Have you seen Ben Wheatley's:

?format=500w

?

Devilishly good...

On 2/23/2018 at 11:10 PM, hendie said:

I'm still a bit miffed we don't get to wear pointy hats and a cloak though

You don't? Funny, I always pictured you hunched over the bench catching your hat in the flex of the soldering iron and muttering imprecations....:devil:

On 2/23/2018 at 11:47 PM, CedB said:

Glad you're feeling better Tony and nice work on the 'never to be seen again strips with holes in' thingies.

Yes, there has been wine, but only as an attempt to stop the blasted lump pain

Thanks Ced, though distressed to hear of you in pain poor creature. Any word back from the sawbones about a medical intervention?

On 2/24/2018 at 12:51 AM, massimo said:

How wide are they?:rofl:

The idea for this build was simply...great and you're doing an outstanding job!!!

:lol:

Dude  - I called at your shop in Dublin yesterday and got thrown out for demanding to see the Buccaneer:

26602107258_da3bda4209_c.jpg

I tried to reason with them in Italian but as the only phrase I know is 'corsetto e calze', they threatened to call the police.

Seriously, you need to organize some staff training man...

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Page 69 dude! Wonderful progress, glad to hear the spiny has ceased.

Must insert a 'now jump to page 60' link on page 20, like one of those multiple choice alternative-ending scifi books that were so successful in the late 70s....:banghead:

Managed to walk around town for the day yesterday without any incipient rotation creeping in - even got to meet Batman and Darth Vader at the bus stop home:

38662285300_52bf025270_c.jpg

I was not the 'droid that they were looking for apparently. The figure in blue may have been however...

14 hours ago, Alan P said:

Been away for a while and only just begun to catch up. What a thread!

Very sorry to hear you had vertigo problems - it's what did for me in the end and why I can't fly anymore. Glad you're feeling better!

Thanks for the kind thoughts Alan, though not happy to hear that similar conditions put paid to aviation for you. A cruel blow sir.

Dublin turned out to be a very busy day yesterday to which end I'm thoroughly exhausted now this morning. The conference was a fascinating glimpse of what VR can do now, as well as what will soon be possible, to the extent that I now need to modify my careers goals quite rapidly I think. Saw some test footage of the next generation of game graphics being developed by ILM - in terms of quality you are already watching them at the cinema.

Got to meet the King of the Liffey too:

39762452694_784dc8cc4d_c.jpg

I don't know if he's exactly the same gull I see on O'Connell Bridge each time - if not then he has identical siblings. He just stands there, ruling the roost and posing for tourists.

The mean streets of Dublin:

25601978857_4fbfd65b18_c.jpg

This was taken directly behind the commercial cold sore that is O'Connell Street these days, the remains of the 19th century one one side of an alley not yet quite erased by 'development'.

I have however been at work trying to understand what goes on inside here:

39762607674_3f1fec5e6c_m.jpg

Which a quick X-ray reveals to look thus:

26602030728_10344c4743_b.jpg

A sort of prosthetic goose's beak.

First task was to break this down into an identifiable set of sub-assemblies for construction purposes, making sure to look at both plans AND photographs to establish how the various hinges and actuators are mounted between door and fuselage. Which led me to:

39762757564_5bdde2bf34_c.jpg

I've stretched the contrast in this and the following sketch so that my scribbles are a tad more visible. As you can see:

• Lower door has a curved outer profile but internally consists of three angled plates of diminishing thickness.
  • The top of FOD has two hinges mounting it to the fuselage (these are visible on the outside of the aircraft) and an internal pulley system in the ceiling for raising the lower floor (this latter detail being entirely obscured by the raised lower door and so can be omitted)
  • Three separate components overall FOD being angled upwards - hydraulic actuators (C), curved brackets (B) providing control for the upward arc of motion, and (A) pyramidal hinges on which the structure pivots.

These latter three components need careful scrutiny on account of how they are attached to the fuselage:

40429755052_0aa9820b18_c.jpg

B & C penetrate the frame on either side of the rear of the fuselage, whereas A is mounted inboard of it:

39577277135_64de90095e_b.jpg

You can see in this shot below that that lower door is raised upwards to a completely horizontal orientation:

40429661882_49d169282b_m.jpg

This does as you can see both above and here (note the lower curved bracket protruding beyond the right arm of the crouching figure, giving a good view of how it is attached to the FOD):

39762635044_6802ccce33_m.jpg

...render it necessary to add significant internal structure to the walls of the FOD, not to mention building the new doors on either side.

The deepest station I will have to include the perforations for, as well as the side doors, the remaining stations will be plastic-stripped as per the overall interior of the cargo area.

Brain is still in recovery mode from yesterday so not sure how much of that I will be able to accomplish later, as there's the matter of a roast chicken dinner to cook also....

Nice to be back with you.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

25 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Managed to walk around town for the day yesterday without any incipient rotation creeping in - even got to meet Batman and Darth Vader at the bus stop home:

Sir, you're staggering!  Thank you ma'am, you're not so bad yourself!

Sorry to hear of your woes with your gyro toppling and all, and hopefully on the mend now, but seriously the work and research is staggering.

• Haha 1

It is better to see you hurrying around town Tony, vertigo would not be a 'pick the lesser worst' item to have to suffer

I'm beginning to recover from this interminable back strain, even Naproxen isn't rushing in to fix me

Bunch of old crocks huh

I'm shocked about Massimo treating you so badly, shocked I tell 'ee, I wonder why those Imperious Troopers can wander freely round the Capital City is it a takeover?

Oh yes before I forget, fabulous planning going into the Beaverbeaky thing?

Better every time

Edited by perdu
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Not sure how exactly to call this, but lovely "dissection" job on this, Tony :clap:

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

there's the matter of a roast chicken dinner to cook also....

Just to testify different habits: I'm in charge of cooking on Sundays (among other days - my wife actually claims she married me because I can cook :analintruder: ), but the big meal would be at noon - rabbit today :)

Ciao

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

slow cooked

Sort of. I use a wok, bacon dices and onion + celery as a base, put the rabbit in pieces in till it's all roasted on the outside (10 minutes more or less), then a good one and a half glass of red wine, salt, a pinch of curry, a few sage leaves, and I cover it up and leave stewing for 1 and a half hour. Tasty :Tasty:

Apologies for the cooking drift, Tony :)

Ciao

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, giemme said:

I'm in charge of cooking on Sundays (among other days - my wife actually claims she married me because I can cook :analintruder: ), but the big meal would be at noon - rabbit today :)

Ok, now I know why you only cook one day in the week. :whistle:

026964789.jpg

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 4