Catching Pictures in the Air

Tomo, Nigel, Johnny, Ian: Thanks for that lads.  I can be lamentably lax sometimes getting stuff at right angles when it needs to be but being one big box, any errors or irregularities of alignment as sure to leap out. Been getting some headaches and nausea of late, which along with tired eye muscles makes me think I'm due a visit to the optician's...

Some substantive progress to report in on this afternoon. After all the prep work and pre-visualization yesterday I was now able to concentrate upon a thorough refit of the rear of this baby. Firstly, some confirmation that Italeri did an OK job (excepting my predations at the rear in turning it from G to J) of the general fuselage shape:

39627209994_6a86656300_c.jpg

Using this station diagram from the parts manual I was able to transfer the station markings to port side of the kit fuselage, and thence copy them across to the starboard counterpart:

40337979631_636280096d_c.jpg

Likewise, establishing station intervals along the top:

39627211984_9a548e95af_c.jpg

Prior to starting any internal fitting I established an internal datum on both sides for the ceiling and floor levels on the walls by masking off and using a rattle can of white:

38528661980_272e52538c_c.jpg

This seemed a much more direct and obvious way to get alignments sorted than my previous cack-handed parsing of this task back in the Spring. Internal station heights run from 26mm-31mm at this scale.

Another reason this job had taken so long the first time around was that I'd individually cut the stations to length. Any halfway intelligent being would have set up a production line of this nature to cut them in batches:

25466476997_466153b993_c.jpg

Using just a ruler and single-sided razor blade this took only a couple of minutes to achieve, with a uniform consistency.

Stockpiled and ready to rock the Box:

38528665230_112af3b765_c.jpg

One spanner in the ointment for the unwary modeller at this stage is that Italeri's spacing of the portholes seems to wander about in relation to the station intervals (the original kit moulding on the inside walls bears little relationship to the actual intervals at all) and this necessitates a little bit of 'freestyle' repositioning of stations (compared to the references marks) in order to accommodate the openings:

25466480687_94575f9e3d_c.jpg

As this only amounts to 1-2mm in a handful of places these irregularities will be lost when eventually viewed from just the rear of the aircraft when closed-up at the end.

Both sides done:

38528668330_50216f9dc7_c.jpg

Checked against ceiling and floor:

25466483697_c801267335_c.jpg

Also obscured by the rear viewing angle will be the reinforcing strips that I'd added to the inside odthe kit/vacform join - these seem to blend in unobtrusively to the angled perspective looking down the length of the aircraft:

38528671060_039cf94eb8_c.jpg

Starting to look like an aircraft in there at long last:

38528669990_fd76e28b33_c.jpg

And from the outside too, more 'busy' feeling:

26466735878_e67fdace06_c.jpg

What light from yonder porthole falls?

39627217584_9c91b57bf8_c.jpg

Do you ever get that slightly uncanny feeling that you want to crawl inside your model sometimes? :hmmm:

Ta-ta until later in the week.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

Hello Tony,  that's just amazing.  What a lovely work and sucess Maybe something shocking beautiful like her yesterday. (Hopefully you can open the link in the UK). :

http://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/Sportschau/Ski-Alpin-Der-Goldlauf-von-Ester-Ledec/Das-Erste/Video?bcastId=53524&documentId=50089796

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

Great attention to detail in getting those spacings for the frames right, that will pay off bigtime as you continue to detail the cargo bay.

Martian

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely re-do Tony!

Benedikt, the link won't open for me.

Ian

Maybe this works. Love that finished moment. She was so shocked by herself and disbelieving

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Benedikt,  but I still can't play it. It just comes up with a message that "the uploader has not made this video available in your country". Thanks for trying though!

Ian

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Thanks Benedikt,  but I still can't play it. It just comes up with a message that "the uploader has not made this video available in your country". Thanks for trying though!

Ian

Also not on you tube? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5350h5Klo7Y&feature=player_embedded

https://youtu.be/uhV_7TfhRTQ

Sorry, that's so lovely, how she stands there alone ( with no cheering or anything else)  and disbelieving, as if the whole world comes crushing down like an avalanche.

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

WOW! Stunning lighting in that last shot.

nice tidy up going on.

just a quick “watch out”  I don’t know what pen you used to mark out along the fuselage but if it’s a sharpie or similar be aware that even if you over coat in primer/paints whatever. Eventually it can eat through to your top coat of paint. I can’t remember where I saw this but it’s a model killer. If it is such a pen try and wash it off before you paint.

Jont.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

just a quick “watch out”  I don’t know what pen you used to mark out along the fuselage but if it’s a sharpie or similar be aware that even if you over coat in primer/paints whatever. Eventually it can eat through to your top coat of paint. I can’t remember where I saw this but it’s a model killer. If it is such a pen try and wash it off before you paint.

Jont.

Totally true. To be on the safe side, I actually sand those kind of marks off. HTH

Ciao

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Eventually it can eat through to your top coat of paint. I can’t remember where I saw this but it’s a model killer. If it is such a pen try and wash it off before you paint.

Yep, might possibly have been in one of my posts somewhere. I have the T-shirt.....

I find IPA will take off most types of ink that I've used since learning the hard way!

Cracking interior stuff there Tony!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, this is an unexpected start to the week!

After spending most of the morning in the doctor's waiting room I find myself diagnosed with vertigo due to a bacterial infection. :sick:

Having had blinding headaches and throbbing eyes the last few days I'd blamed this on my glasses but having woken up this morning with the full-on spins, realised the old gyro compass was on the blink and hied off to the saw bones to see what medical science could do.

Result: the next few days lying immobile in the hangar whilst the antibiotics fight the tiny foe. No work, but of course no modelling either for a few days.:fraidnot:

Slightly cheered on returning home by meeting Gerry the postman lurching up the drive with three parcels that turned out to be:

1. Norman Franks' Air Battle for Dunkirk.
  2. An AZ Models Hurricane Mk.1 (early).
  3. A rather rare vacform and white metal kit that I'm not telling you about yet. :P

Regrettably my current spot in sickbay means that I can't read for any length of time (due to motion sickness when moving the eyes about) so I've loaded up the tablet with Paul Temple audio books and will work my way through those, By Timothy!

Fear nought about the pen marks on the Boxcar BTW - it's only whiteboard marker: I use this at work all the time for marking camera gear as it rubs off with spit and a fingertip.

Best wishes in your own endeavours chaps.

Talk anon.

Tony

• Sad 7

39 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

If you get the squirts a pot or two of "live yogurt" works well.

I'll second that.

Get well soon, Tony. Wait: I might have the chance to catch up with this thread now, I got up to page 10 so far but with you doing pitstop .... :)

Ciao

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:
  1. A rather rare vacform and white metal kit that I'm not telling you about yet. :P

Sorry to hear you are unwell. Spill the beans about the vac-form lest I use the Martian mind meld to get the information we require, you will feel a lot worse after that!

Martian

• Haha 4

Oooh not nice vertigo.  :fraidnot: I had it once, some bits got dislodged in my ear canal and my eyes went haywire if I looked sharply left or right. Not quite what you have but if the spins are anything like what I experienced it’s a nightmare.

get well soon dear boy.

dont worry about us chickens, we can look after ourselves. ;) :guitar:

Johnny.

• Thanks 1