Catching Pictures in the Air

Yet again, nice work on the glazing Tony.

When it comes to port holes, the Sunderland I am building had too many of them.

The use of "Tupperware type boxes is almost essential with builds nowadays.

What with eyesight not so good, and a failing memory , anything that can help is truly welcome LOL.

Simon.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/9/2018 at 9:11 AM, TheBaron said:

Did I tell you I was sweating blood over this cockpit?

25295871037_f05d817725_c.jpg

Hhhhhmmnnnnnnn..........

I believe you have just illustrated the most perfect weathering technique for displaying pools and dribbles of leaking OM15

7XxrM7GsVXJuAwIfWNZA9Ui9urqkuny5nI2DZtOB

May I ask that the next time you go off digit mangling that you keep a small airtight jar handy so you can capture the fresh gushings to use as a weathering aid in the future.

I also believe you may have stumbled upon a rather unique marketing opportunity. Should you wish to take advantage of this marvelous discovery, I would think bottles of around 50 mL or so would provide modelers with an ample supply.

oh!  The glazing is looking quite fantastilicious

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Lovely work Tony.

It occurred to me yesterday that I would benefit from the occasional picture with a rule, or some other point of reference, to remind me (and others) that you're doing all this at 1/72!

I could then be truly amazed rather than just merely gobsmacked :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Do you know Tony, I don't recall ever seeing internal canopy framing modelled like that in 1/72 before - trailblazing stuff!!

Another way of looking at it of course Keith is: 'Who'd be daft enough to...?' :lol:

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

When it comes to port holes, the Sunderland I am building had too many of them.

Portholes? AKA 'tiny circular sons of Satan' (when it comes to gluing)....

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The use of "Tupperware type boxes is almost essential with builds nowadays.

What with eyesight not so good,

'Portsmouth man in Short Sunderland Packed Lunch mixup'

Let's be careful out there...

19 hours ago, hendie said:

I would think bottles of around 50 mL or so would provide modelers with an ample supply.

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, CedB said:

It occurred to me yesterday that I would benefit from the occasional picture with a rule, or some other point of reference, to remind me (and others) that you're doing all this at 1/72!

I shall endeavour to 'casually' introduce the odd bench mark for scale Ced. :winkgrin:

12 hours ago, giemme said:

I can only concur with the others, especially about the glazing job

Thanks! Not suitable for every aircraft of course Giorgio, but the framing inside there on the C-119 is just s-o prominent that it would look a bit insubstantial without some attempt at structure.

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

but you have actually done it!

Let's see it it all stays glued on of course over the next few weeks! :lol:

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

You must have the steadiest of hands.

It's just a Thing I do....

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, perdu said:

You just breezed in and cracked it

Cracked?

OMG!!! <shrieks>

Oh. <calms down>

Oh I see what you mean...

(Thanks Bill :winkgrin:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, TheBaron said:

Business not as usual for a bit chaps - Mrs B's mother died this morning so will be off-air for a few days until after the funeral.

Take care of yourselves.

Tony

Sorry to hear about that Tony,

Lately but sincères condolences to you and your wife.

I just catched up today with your great build !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

22 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Sorry to hear about that Tony,

Lately but sincères condolences to you and your wife.

I just catched up today with your great build !

Thanks for that Cc. :thumbsup2:

You're most welcome along for the ride! 

Trying to find any spare time at the moment when I'm not knackered from work is posing a problem, so it might be nearer the weekend before there's any more to report in about. :(

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 11:07, TheBaron said:

'Portsmouth man in Short Sunderland Packed Lunch mixup'

Let's be careful out there...

Yep, found 2 cheese sandwiches , a pork pie, mars bar and a packet of crisps in the Sunderland box.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Garn,

The week nearly gone already and so little to show you since Sunday...

The non-modelling 'pay-the-mortgage' part of life has been uber-busy of late, compounded by the fact that I've been fighting some variant of the dreaded lurgey flying aboot that's left me kernackered each evening has meant that this afternoon was the first point in proceedings that I've felt compost menthol enough to be let near sharp tools.

As it is I confined myself to tidying up the outstanding transparency works up front of the Box.

Being a paranoid sort of a cove where transparencies and glue are concerned I'd whipped the inside masking off a couple of nights back to check there'd been no disasters and was rewarded with a glimpse of purity (or as pure as scrap packaging can be...):

38472917020_108044eecd_c.jpg

As a ruleof thumb with this approach, if you can see the masking on the other side without any indications of glue blobs, fingerprints and all the other DNA traces of us that cling to our kits then it's a safe bet you're masking's been proof against the epoxy.

Peeling back the outside masking earlier revealed similarly good results:

39385810965_a9703275c8_c.jpg

Usually there's a film of excess epoxy spread across the outer masking panel itself (a far less frightening a proposition than it looks) which just needs some gentle and sensitive slicing around the edges to break the glue seal before peeling back gently with tweezers. The rubric is that if you're having to pull at all hard, put down the tweezers and tease the tape out a bit more with the scalpel - making sure the scalpel blade is always being moved in an outward direction away from the transparency to avoid scratching it at the last knockings.

Pleasing clarity:

39385811795_b9934775ec_c.jpg

From the inside:

39385812835_35bbb6c443_c.jpg

I photographed this stage before the final tidy in order to reassure anyone trying this approach that any of the remaining excess you see around the edges in the above couple of shots is easily cleaned back with the scalpel, whilst a final clean to remove any traces of remaining epoxy can be made with a small brush and some acetone. To avoid splashing acetone onto the bead around the edge and thus undoing all your hard work I found an angled makeup brush perfect to get into the slightly awkward recesses in a steady and controlled manner:

39385813235_19d53d614e_c.jpg

The upper canopy is filthy already with my grubby mitts but that'll get a clean prior to masking up - all I wanted to do at this stage was a quick dry fir to see how all those new transparencies played off against each other:

39385814445_21664af330_c.jpg

Certainly those new side transparencies match the actual aircraft a lot better than the kit parts regarding being flush with the aircraft skin:

39385814015_0639041540_c.jpg

As well as superior clarity to see inside:

39385815755_28d80e7042_c.jpg

Saving a final smarten-up around the beading, that task is now finished and we can move on. I've glued the yokes to the control columns now as well:

26410621628_3cdba0b38d_c.jpg

The only remaining element in relation to the Pilot/IP area are the rudder pedals. You may recall a few pages back @keefr22, @perdu and myself rhapsodizing about Reheat etch. Well after umming and aahing I decided that their 1/72 'rudder pedals (modern & vintage)' set contained such a ringer for the Fairchild jobs that I transmitted some cash to a pleasant gentleman in California last night who was proferring same at reasonable rates on the Geltbay. He also had some Reheat FAA/RAF interior etch sets as well which fit nicely into future plans so a modest packet of brass should reach these shores by early March.

In Dublin all day tomorrow but hope to have further progress to report back to you about on Saturday.

Some great work happening around the forum these days - it's really buoys you up to see it when you can't get at your own stuff!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The non-modelling 'pay-the-mortgage' part of life has been uber-busy of late

Damned annoying as it just gets in the way of all the fun stuff.

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

39385814445_21664af330_c.jpg

Certainly those new side transparencies match the actual aircraft a lot better than the kit parts regarding being flush with the aircraft skin:

39385814015_0639041540_c.jpg

That looks brilliant Tony. As I said earlier, when you get some take-away foil or similar on there with a few rivets, it's gonna look superb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2018 at 4:20 PM, giemme said:

Worth a dedicated thread only for them

On 2/15/2018 at 6:34 PM, bbudde said:

Great job

On 2/15/2018 at 9:31 PM, Tomoshenko said:

it's gonna look superb.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:25 PM, The Spadgent said:

Brilliant work on those windows.

On 2/15/2018 at 11:03 PM, CedB said:

Beautifully clear glazing Tony,

Giorgio, Benedikt, Tomo, Johnny, Ced: you chaps are frightfully nice and say nice things! :D

On 2/15/2018 at 9:31 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Damned annoying as it just gets in the way of all the fun stuff.

If only society valued modellers more. Still, with the new universal income for everyone in the UK in the offing, I'm expecting modelling to see a renaissance as people realize that a diet of Under the Hammer and Quincy M.E. is the mental equivalent of running an IV line of  goose fat directly into your bloodstream...

On 2/15/2018 at 10:34 PM, limeypilot said:

I actually believe there is nothing in the hole,

A phrase that haunts every man....

g1345728324537540649.jpg

Size then not being everything, I've gone from a fixation on the very small to paying attention to the Larger Scheme of Things. This is like the Large Hadron Collider except that I'm attempting to collide various piece of plastic together in the hope that some kind of deep and spontaneous order may emerge out of this thread sometime soon. I hear the Nobel committee are already conducting discreet enquiries about what I like for pudding.

Firstly a survey of the outside join areas between cut-down fuselage and new vacform rear in order to to see what remedial work needs doing. We left this in a rather raw state back in the summer as you can see:

25443723347_ca1f509211_c.jpg

Back then I'd only run the sihrsc across it but with a bit more experience under my belt since then, have learned the utility of using single-sided razor blades as a kind of plane / scraper:

25443727507_9922f61693_c.jpg

Very paleolithic and satisfying to do. :lol:

Still, I've also learned that what looks satisfactory in such a synoptic view rarely turns out such a sanguine proposition when viewed in close-up under a heavily-angled light source:

38505681870_a54a4e9f26_c.jpg

Some differences of opinion around the boundary of the Milliput you can see clearly, as well as some messy business at the wing root to attend to. Unsuprising.

What about the innards? After the mauling they received whilst sawing off the back of the aircraft and adding the replacement section it really isn't pretty in there, so I've begun stripping back anything that offends the eye:

38505680890_8c56216531_c.jpg

Bottom (port) side is how it looked, top (starboard) is in the process of a good clear out.

Here we are now with both sections stripped of anything I wasn't happy with, which - it has to be said - does not just include things that got broken but any bits of my previous work that I feel can be done better the second time around:

38505688570_97746ec8cf_c.jpg

As I've punched out all the kit windows in order to replace them with thinner transparencies of my own, you can see that this has been a merciless and fundamental business.

I also needed to remind myself about the spatial relationship between floor and ceiling in relation to the fuselage - especially the replacement rear section:

25443731877_e9c4853d63_c.jpg

I don't know how easy you can make it out in the above shot but the internal height is greater at the front than the rear, whereas being a Boxar, it should be more,err, 'boxy' and regular.

My modifications need further modification.

The curved spacer between the internal ceiling and top of the aircraft here is clearly too deep then in its current configuration:

38505685320_15f075670b_b.jpg

The ceiling needs to go up I reckon by about a couple of mill. until it is level with the rear of the wing root:

25443736377_495f233601_b.jpg

This shows just how problematic it can be regarding such apparently simple internal relationships between shapes: on the exterior of an aircraft they leap out at you but in the nooks and crannies it takes a bit of working out as to exactly which section needs adjusting. With the upper wing taped on for a final precautionary check:

38505686610_86f09b0792_c.jpg

You can perhaps more clearly see how far we need to raise the ceiling at the back now:

25443738307_1a40cdf5e6_c.jpg

Good. That's the next problem that needs sorting then.

I'm going to take a break for a few hours and feed the family and then hopefully make some more progress on this later today.

Thanks for reading.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 13

Exemplary  exposition of the exponential......

der and doh

Atcherlley your explanation is as per usual very well described

go!

feed families

gather wool

and make the changes

I know from when I internalised my Sherpa how difficult it can be to get the relationship between floors and other 'levels'

(If anyone wonders, the Sherpa is beginning to get proper pictures again courtesy of postimage.org instead of the crooks at PB, I'm getting to page three)

I love how you get these almost mythic parts of the 119 into plastic, total pleasure experience guaranteed

• Like 4

I'll just slip in quietly here at the back and hope that no-one noticed my absence.

I'm impressed by your decision to go all remedial.  I know it's not an easy decision to make when you get so far down the line. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

... like the Large Hadron Collider except that I'm attempting to collide various piece of plastic together

Beware Bosons in the carpet monster - you'll never find them :D

• Haha 4

That's a tough call to pull it all apart and almost start again, but I can see it needed doing and we all know it will be a far superior version that will emerge at the other end of the long tunnel. 

Ian

• Like 2

3 hours ago, perdu said:

and make the changes

One instinctively knows when something is right Bill.

1 hour ago, hendie said:

I'm impressed by your decision to go all remedial.  I know it's not an easy decision to make when you get so far down the line. 

Not quite so hard hendie when you're as dissatisfied with your previous attempt at certain things as I was! 

1 hour ago, CedB said:

you'll never find them

Yet you know they have to be there somewhere! :lol:

Reckon that was what caused the fogging on the canopy a while back - wasn't glue at all but dark matter....

21 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I can see it needed doing and we all know it will be a far superior version that will emerge at the other end of the long tunnel. 

Bit like a game of Buckaroo sometimes isn't it Ian? 'I'll just put one last detail on e-ver so gently and-' :rant:

Best start over and pretend that was a test all along.... :lol:

Quick finale now.

Before and after:

25447340627_b1bc53289f_b.jpg

Right hand side is with near enough 3mm taken off at the top.

Box-shaped and Bristol-fashion:

25447343897_c2fe1a08f6_c.jpg

Right.

Sun declining in the West.

I need to get the garlic festoons around the windows before heading down into the village with a flaming torch to join the mob.

• Like 7

Niice work on the internals Tony. I can imagine it's a bit of a nightmare lining everything up.

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

If only society valued modellers more. Still, with the new universal income for everyone in the UK in the offing, I'm expecting modelling to see a renaissance as people realize that a diet of Under the Hammer and Quincy M.E. is the mental equivalent of running an IV line of  goose fat directly into your bloodstream...

I keep lobbying my MP on the subject of putting a Private Members bill through Parliament so as to give myself a paid income for staying at home, drinking beer and modelling. No such luck so far but I'll keep writing the letters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6