Catching Pictures in the Air

Very nice detailing. Love the seats! You're not tempted to make a vacform canopy top?

Edit: I notice the blinds in the picture in the curved upper canopy, although deploying them on the model would hide a lot of detail. Perhaps the undeployed blinds could be represented by some plastic rod?

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

I do hope you're not going to position the yokes like that! "Left I said, LEFT!!, No, the other left!"

I would position the rudder pedals forward of the IP, in the "negative space" you'll be creating. That canopy was just asking for it anyway, serves it right!

I may have to look into opening up the Heinkel 111 canopies (more research needed!) as I just got a reply from Airfix telling me the cracked part is not available......:huh:

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

FLODO

Still doesn't get the titters that 'beaver' does!

Absolutely superb work inside the cockpit, patience and attention to detail must be oozing out of you.

It has to be said, although massively upstaged by your work, that the Italeri cockpit isn't that bad for a production kit of that age.

Brave man with the transparencies!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🎶 "Ain't no stopping him now, he's in the groove..." 🎶 (Just to continue the song theme... no, they're not as funny as yours) :D

Chopping up the canopy and now a Dexter-like pondering of the panel. "It's bad. Where are my tools?" More amazing Baronial micro-engineering in our future, methinks :)

• Haha 1

On 16/01/2018 at 8:35 PM, 71chally said:

Meanwhile the sea state had worsened, and on re-emergence to the aft deck the crew noticed that their Bolkow had disappeared!   The poor little thing had been flung into the sea! 

I have just finished reading Larry Jeram-Croft’s book on the RN Lynx - excellent, especially on the seldom-covered early years.  At the end he has a chapter with a few stories about the relatively rare occasions when things went wrong; these include a hair-raising tale from “Lucky Al” (a real Lynx legend, so-called because he had a tip-strike when practising for a pairs display... and still landed OK, though with about a foot missing from the end of his rotor blades) about massively over-torquing a Lynx when the sea decided he should get airborne from a frigate sideways.  Being Lucky Al (who I reckon could fly a Lynx with only 3 blades and 1 engine) he got it back to Portland in one piece, though he reckons he’d pulled 140% torque for several minutes. Bye-bye, gearbox, but a huge thank you for keeping going!

...and an even hairier one when an aircraft went bodily over the side in a Trinity House Bo-105 stylee, only with 3 people in it (oh, and they got extra marks for technical difficulty because one of the lashings refused to break, so they rotated around it and entered the water upside down).  They all got out of that, too, though Goodness knows how.

When the sea decides to remind us who is really in control there is no contest.

And now back to our scheduled transmission.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Beautiful work Tony. That cockpit could , should and probably will actually work. :rambo:

Jont.

You mean it doesn't? :(

Disappointed of Mars

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, hendie said:

if you find yourself using hand cream and lip balm when changing your car tires you know you've gone too far down that path.....

I hesitate to ask but.....

19 hours ago, hendie said:

oh.. oh.. center console... cogs n wheels... looking at that kit console, and knowing that you bought a bunch of cogs n wheels,

Have a gander!

39778196081_91fe5b5929_c.jpg

Really digging down into that tin of goodness earlier I discovered just how much more there was than cos buried away hendie - discs, dials, panels of all sorts, almost to the submillimetric.

Believe it or not this even has a toothed gear on one end:

24908097087_f38fedb216_c.jpg

This cog's about 3mm in size but many are smaller:

39778196621_149fe94255_c.jpg

Loads of these perforated strips to that will doubtless turn up useful one day:

24908097727_0a40a52091_c.jpg

You're right that the console/pedestal between the two seats being in my sights - particularly the forward section with the throttle and flap controls - we can certainly do some things there to make that look a tad more meaningful. I'm still thinking about the IP itself, whether that exaggerated top profile can be salvaged or whether it'll require doing from scratch....

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Beautiful work Tony. That cockpit could , should and probably will actually work. :rambo:

Ain't no Plan B. if it don't...;)

19 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Very nice detailing. Love the seats! You're not tempted to make a vacform canopy top?

Hi Adrian - nice to hear from you!

Yes, I had considered the vacform route but I'm after nice sharp angles in the geometry of the side panels and windscreen so for now have decided to follow a more 'piecemeal' approach to fabricating the individual runs of glazing.

19 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I notice the blinds in the picture in the curved upper canopy, although deploying them on the model would hide a lot of detail. Perhaps the undeployed blinds could be represented by some plastic rod?

Those, plus a slew of curly intercom leads dangling from the rafter are also occupying my thoughts from time-to-time. For the blinds themselves I'm currentlyeyeing up the idea of foil folded in a zig-zag shape and having the top ones half-open. It'll need some more experimentation nearer the time with different materials I reckon before finding the most successful route to that. Curtains, cushions - it's all gonna be one hell of a batchelor pad in there when it's finished....:lol:

19 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I do hope you're not going to position the yokes like that! "Left I said, LEFT!!, No, the other left!"

I would position the rudder pedals forward of the IP, in the "negative space" you'll be creating.

:lol:

I can't get my hands on the cockpit for a while for reasons that will become apparent below Ian but there seems a big separation between the seats and pedals already, more I'm thinking than even the leggiest USAF buckaroo if I stick the pedals any further forward. It occurs to me to check tomorrow if the kit 'as is' had the seats pushed back and in fact I need to move them forward (from the manual both pilot and co-pilot seats are shown to be re-positionable back/forward/left/right. This needs looking into further...

19 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I may have to look into opening up the Heinkel 111 canopies (more research needed!) as I just got a reply from Airfix telling me the cracked part is not available.

Oh - that's tedious: is it a big chunk or can you vacform?

18 hours ago, 71chally said:

As you are well aware James my threads are a model of sobriety and good taste at all times so...

...no wait a minute that's not right is it?

I fear I may have perjured myself earlier in the month when sigining the new terms of use agreement for the forum, as I noticed it forbade the use of vulgarity....

18 hours ago, 71chally said:

It has to be said, although massively upstaged by your work, that the Italeri cockpit isn't that bad for a production kit of that age.

Quite so - considering how much would usually be seen through the transparency James there is more than enough satisfying detail moulded here to stand up to scrutiny, and it is sharply-formed.:thumbsup2:

18 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Fine work on the office Tony.

Just caught up on this thread and you are off doing micro surgery to down right butchery but all in the right cause.

I am glad to follow this build.

Delighted to have you along Simon. Thank-you!

4 hours ago, CedB said:

🎶 "Ain't no stopping him now, he's in the groove..." 🎶

'Lipstick on your Collar'...reveals that you have yet to fully master cross-dressing.

4 hours ago, CedB said:

More amazing Baronial micro-engineering in our future, methinks

My analyst calls it Detailicus Psychopathualis....

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

When the sea decides to remind us who is really in control there is no contest.

You said that in Morgan Freeman's voice didn't you? :D

Great narratives btw Crisp. :thumbsup2:

The helicopter stills seems a cousin to sorcery for me ( having only ridden a Sikorsky once to the Scilly Isles in the late 70s - @71chally, would your dad have been involved in seeing me off?), the idea of choosing to try and land one on something going up and down in a chaotic rhythm in the middle of an ocean strikes me as A Challenge to the Gods....

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Coooool,

And hopefully the result will eventually be a Cool Box...

OMG.

That sounds

almost

vulgar.

Thank God the mods never read this stuff eh?

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

When Ralph asks you for a separate space for his stash, then you’ll know that there’s a new king in town...

At my glacial pace he's in line to inherit most of my stash anyway!

His brother gets custody of my Gay Ellis talking doll:

28000436559_0544f84f07_c.jpg

23 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

You mean it doesn't? :(

Disappointed of Mars

Yeah. It'll be bleedin' Disappointed of Earth too if it don't! :bangin:

Having looked at the ghastly old tat that I'd tried to palm off on you as a radio installation back in the summer, I was embarassed enough at the quality to rebuild the radio and DF racks from brass and submillimetric discs punched out with the RP punches. During this operation I managed to snap the top of the bulkhead off for the third time. Learning from experience I added metal pins to the joins before epoxying them into place:

38879272565_b61c4e0985_c.jpg

Freezing cold and damp today so that's sitting on the kitchen stove now for the day:

24908100447_09aa00c4ec_c.jpg

That of course put the kybosh on any more cockpitting today so I switched my attention to the void that used to be a canopy:

38879273025_fb479939bf_c.jpg

As you can see, the only remaining kit part now is the upper window section containing the overhead control console. You see the two lower windows below this as well? Looking at photos I'm not convinced that Italeri caught the size of the taller one quite correctly; the height is fine but I think width needs to be extended forward by about 0.5mm. I'm going to add custom glazing to these windows as well so it won't really add much in the way of extra work.

Feeling it would be one of those jobs that I'd be tempted to put on the long finger, I just plunged straight in to the task of building new transprencies. Raw material is just the packaging from some species of Christmas frippery:

24908102147_853494d7f1_c.jpg

As you've probably found yourselves these look clear from a distance but generally they tend to pick up scuffs and scratches in the service of capitalism, so it pays to examine them before cutting off the parts you want (guess how I know this...)

Pays also to have the bits taped down on a non-abrasive surface rather than a dirty cutting mat (first attempts I messed up horribly) and also with transparency mark your measurements out on tape so that you can then just tape the piece over the marks and cut:

38879273915_3a4227920d_c.jpg

Essential dimensions look ok, but it will need shaping of course in order to follow the inward curvature of the fuselage:

24908103467_f7e4d2b577_c.jpg

Tacked on to the upper glazing with WT:

38879274715_08f505578f_c.jpg

And to port:

24908104357_4b4bba4e4a_c.jpg

Fixing such parts to each other securely presents a real challenge of course: epoxy seems to me to offer the strongest bond, plus reinforcing the join with a strip of metal tape that will double as framing a swell as keeping the parts in place whilst the Araldite cures. looking at the above shot I will need to carefully thin-down the front of the kit moulding as well in order to lose that big fat lip along the top.

38879276135_20a10a8a4f_c.jpg

Not a huge amount stuck together today as this is one of those slow stages involving lots of cutting, testing, thinking....

My feeling at this early stage though is encouraging in that the canopy can be made a better job of, but slow and patient will be the key.

Thanks for looking.

:thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The helicopter stills seems a cousin to sorcery for me ( having only ridden a Sikorsky once to the Scilly Isles in the late 70s - @71chally, would your dad have been involved in seeing me off?)

It was my grandad, but very, very likely. 

In those days the fireman did the refuelling, baggage handling, directing passengers, anything bar fly the helicopters.

It's also likely that you flew in 'EB, she was the unique S-61NM with external baggage lockers and subsequently had more passenger capacity, she was the favourite on the route apparently.  Hope this brings back memories, Penzance early '80s I think.

24910948837_30677673e2_c.jpgS-61NM G-BCEB by James Thomas, on Flickr

I've yet to fully absorb the C-119 content, but man you are brave!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 71chally said:

How sad the DHC2 wasn't built by Bristol. Bristol Beaver has such a pleasant ring to it!

oh, and lovely work on the canopy Tony. Sorry, I got distracted......

Ian

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Loony-tunes pitot on top of rotor head, unfeasibly long stabiliser and fat sponsons, but still unquestionably 100% Queen of the Skies.  

I don't know what you mean!

25783458338_9ecdbb6fc9_c.jpgSikorsky S-61NM G-BCEB BIH by James Thomas, on Flickr

I'm bamboozled by the clockwork gear for the cockpit Tony, but that transparency work is something else.  To cut up a kit one and replace it with clear sheet parts is either a stroke of genius or insanity - or as I suspect, huge dollops of both!

Did you trial the transparency work with the Dornier?

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Yeah. It'll be bleedin' Disappointed of Earth too if it don't! :bangin:

I actually meant work as in, all the dials working the oxygen tanks having oxygen in, you know the whole ball o’ wax. Not like Woking as in a model, as in a real working cockpi........ guys?       Guys....... 

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, perdu said:

Nice work guv'ner

Thanks. :thumbsup2:

This is turning out to be an even slower stage of work than I'd anticipated - not so much high-wire stuff as slowly inching your head into the lion's mouth perhaps....:o

21 hours ago, 71chally said:

It was my grandad,

Sorry James; yes indeed your grandad.:thumbsup2:

That photo is lovely and took me right back to walking out to the helicopter - never having flown before and aged 14 - the sudden increase in vibration and a sudden lurch upwards that you felt in your stomach. IIRC there was a pub in the main town on St. Mary's that had a weapons canister from one of the Hunters involved in setting fire to the Torrey Canyon mounted up on the wall....

21 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Loony-tunes pitot on top of rotor head, unfeasibly long stabiliser and fat sponsons, but still unquestionably 100% Queen of the Skies.  

O rotary-oracle - please favour your uninformed subject with an explanation as to why the pitot would be positioned in such a location?

20 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Sorry, I got distracted......

All it takes is a set of Bristols apparently...<arches eyebrow> :lol:

20 hours ago, 71chally said:

I'm bamboozled by the clockwork gear for the cockpit Tony,

James - I've readily taken hendie's bait to 'improve' the control pedestal between the two seats:

DSC_0132-1.jpg

Image credit: Air Mobility Command Museum

(That's rather an excellent photo - I  must come back to that).

Anyway, the bit that I think would benefit from some TLC most is that cylindrical part in the centre of the photo with various throttle levers etc, whilst a couple of those watch cogs might do to emulate the serrated trim wheel on either side. The 'Fairchild' logo pressed into those rudder pedals is a nice touch isn't it?

20 hours ago, 71chally said:

Did you trial the transparency work with the Dornier?

In a way. Sort of. That is to say vacformed with cut-out panes slid back, which was not hard to do in all honesty. This poses a more significant challenge - as I'm finding out!

20 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice clear bits Kid.

Ta Johnny. Hope the lurgey's lifted a bit this morning for you - there are some nasty does in circulation and I gather the UK is only 10 days away from the possibility of an epidemic. 

I had a good long pense last soir about how best to kick off constructing the canopy:

640px-Le_penseur_de_la_Porte_de_lEnfer_(

Rodin's Thinker Modeller

Eventually settling on using the aircraft itself as a jig in order to avoid too much error creeping in regarding angles, lengths and widths:

39764459002_767a6e6a2b_c.jpg

As a precaution I ran a file along the edges of the cockpit openings to square everything off - the white plastic 'eyebrows' that you see around the top of the cockpit opening of course being repairs occasioned by over-enthusiastic preparation. 

This will not be a job completed in a single session, largely due to the fact that I intend epoxying the various parts together in series, leaving 24 hrs between steps for the Araldite to cure:

1. side windows to upper canopy

2. triangular corner windows to side windows

3. windcreens to upper canopy and triangular corner windows

As anticipated, this is a bloody fiddly undertaking even at the first hurdle, and today's 2hour long sessions got me this far:

38897380655_8874f6a8f4_c.jpg

Both side window runs are now glued into position against the upper canopy, but boy was it a struggle with the Kraken. The epoxy basically acted like a lubricant and so thin is the contact area between parts that the respective parts kept sliding-off each other whilst trying to tape them against each other. The important factor at this first stage was to make sure that the side windows run forward in a straight line, as on the aircraft itself (they'll be shaped/curved inwards to follow the curvature of the fuselage when gluing the whole canopy to the fuselage later on in the build):

050210-F-1234P-038.JPG

Image credits: National Museum of the Air Force

You can see the sharp angularity - especially on that front corner window - that has prompted me to go down this route in preference to vacforming, though of course this is all such an experiment in technique and is turning out to be very taxing to perform.

Another difference about the 'J' variant (this is Pelican 9 itself of course preserved) is the paired Yagi antennae on the nose for homing in on the recovery beacon of the descent capsule.

160822-F-IO108-018.JPG

39764460002_21026207e0_c.jpg

I've left the dimensions of those side window transparencies about 0.5mm taller and a few mill. longer than they need to be so that these can receive a final trim for size at the end, as a safety precaution.

Why am I reminded of Thunderball at this stage of the build? 

angelo-face-bandage.jpg

Cream-crackered after that session now and with my patience used-up for the day, I'll bid you a fond adieu until taking the tape off that lot tomorrow to see if it stuck ok.

Have a nice evening!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 9

All looking fine Tony. 

The assembly of the canopy shall prove fun but patience is a virtue there.

That central console could prove some head scratching but I am sure that you will figure that out.

But what about the miniature "Hershey Bars Wrappers" + the empty soda cans?

Simon.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

James - I've readily taken hendie's bait to 'improve' the control pedestal between the two seats:

Sorry, modeler baiting is one of my favorite pastimes when I can't get near the bench myself.  I don't believe anyone has regulated against it yet.

For the blinds and similar furnishings, may I make a suggestion ?   The tinfoil wrapping from inside cigarette packets.  I've used it to great effect on my train build for the concertina type bellows at the gangway entrance.

I found standard tinfoil was too plain and prone to tearing easily.  The ciggy tinfoil has several benefits: It's thin, it has a debossed pattern (fine grain), and it has a thin paper backing.  The paper backing serves to strengthen the tinfoil greatly.  You can fold, crease, unfold and it just keeps on working (I found real tinfoil started to tear very easily at the creases). When all crumbled up and flattened out again it looks very like fabric.  The paper also takes paint very easily.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

But what about the miniature "Hershey Bars Wrappers" + the empty soda cans?

'Feller could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that sterfff....'

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Excelent work Mr Bond. 

Thanks Moneypenny....Err..I mean Q.

3 hours ago, hendie said:

Sorry, modeler baiting is one of my favorite pastimes when I can't get near the bench myself.  I don't believe anyone has regulated against it yet.

Until now, it hasn't been necessary....:lol:

Until now. :chair:

Too late anyway ;) :

25928392318_165446a4c8_c.jpg

3 hours ago, hendie said:

For the blinds and similar furnishings, may I make a suggestion ?   The tinfoil wrapping from inside cigarette packets. 

That sounds perfect hendie, for exactly the reasons you outline vis-a-vis strength and texture. I haven't smoked for over 15 years however and with tabs at about €12 for 20 here I shall have to seek a source at work.

Great suggestion! :nodding:

After a snooze earlier I carried on investigating the cockpit as from viewing videos (in order to get a better sense of space than static photographs alone can give) I convinced now that there are issues with what Italeri have done inside here regarding the arrangement of features.

I'd mentioned earlier about suspecting two issues:

1. that the pilot and co-pilot seats were positioned as if scooted back for access and not correct for a flying posture.
  2. that the rudder pedals were too far back from the IP.

With one of the PJ Productions' transport pilots in place, these problems leap into focus.

Too much separation between seat and rudder pedals:

25928392828_084723bfcb_c.jpg

Plus rudder pedals at least 5mm too far back from IP:

25928395448_f01df3cf27_c.jpg

This seems pretty conclusive to me that some urgent medical attention is needed to bring the Pelican back to full health:

25928395998_7e9ceef824_b.jpg

To the left is the current kit positioning of these items, to the right, a visualization of what I think needs attention - the red line indicating the need for both pilot's seats and mountings to move forward by 7mm or so, and the rudders by at least 5mm, so that they are under the IP. In flying mode the pilot's knees should be broadly in line with the rear edge of the drum-like throttle/flap quadrant (the bit cut out at present in the shots above).

I should say that Italeri are not at fault regarding the positioning of the seats by any means -  for an aircraft on the ground that is - when it seems natural enough for them to be scooted back along the rails. In the shot below you can see the pilot's seat displaced back in contrast to co-pilot's one still forward enough for flying:

39769176672_8b969db803_b.jpg

The spatial relationship between rudder pedals and IP is definitely wrong though IMO

Well then. Rudder pedals are coming off, along with the chair mounts that will have to be redone from scratch.

I've made a start on the IP:

25928393988_c34cd7ec58_c.jpg

That region is not completely open around the rudder pedals so you need to be careful if cutting out this part- there is a central divider between each set of pedals and a triangular framework extending out from the lower sides of the IP to the cockpit wall on either side, like so:

25928394898_0be40836b0_c.jpg

I should be able to rustle up some replacement pedals from brass, but don't be expecting the Fairchild logo on 'em...

Night all.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I'll bid you a fond adieu until taking the tape off that lot tomorrow to see if it stuck ok

Nothing like a bit of tension, that's what I always say :shutup:

Tony I have to say I really admire the way you look at pictures of the real thing and then try to replicate it. What's that called? True modelling, that's what I call it. Puts kit-bashers like me to shame it does, but a joy to watch. I shall continue to admire your skills and try harder. Well, a bit harder. :D

Now then, stop teasing us - did it stick or not??!!

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Puts kit-bashers like me to shame it does

Now then <using Brian Clough voice>  I will brook none of that talk here young man.

Reality takes an awful bashing at my hands too Ced - which is why it's so great on here to have the likes of Crisp and Steve (who have actually made the real thing go whoosh and whirr from the pilot's seat) along with the expert engineering eyes of 

Bill the file

Ian the wood

Tomo the miniature

Keith the wise

hendie the kitbaiter

Johnny the paint

<in fact just insert name of everyone who's commented on my work to complete the list>

All of whom have served to point out my countless errors and misconceptions along the way

Remember when I stuck the cargo hold for this together back-to-front not so long ago? :lol:

Not mentioning my stalled plans for a kitbash between a Heninkel and a Lancaster - the Heincaster (rare as hen's teats)

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Now then, stop teasing us - did it stick or not??!!

Oh yea my brother, and there was rejoicing upon the land:

25939989308_21b16275de_c.jpg

Quite by accident I almost entirely failed to get glue all over the transparencies:

28033744839_4d48dd6d31_c.jpg

The epoxy seems to have done the trick, so I want to have a go at building the windscreens as a single unit next, leaving the triangular corner windows until last. To say that I'm pleased/relieved would be an understatement - as long as I'm careful in not exerting any undue pressure (gluing, masking, demasking &etc.), the glue bonds seems nice and secure for the task in hand: to be paranoid I'm going to give it another few hours to fully cure before gluing the aforementioned windscreens on next. If I punch this shot up again:

050210-F-1234P-038.JPG

You can see that the framing of the windows themselves would lend itself quite nicely to the use of strips of adhesive metal foil with the rivetting tool run across it just prior to painting.

Right. I think that's earned a third Belgian waffle.

What do these two herberts want?

25939988618_8a36ca9846_z.jpg

Ah, it's milk o'clock that's what....

I've another hour or two of prepping stuff for work tomorrow morning and then I want to put such cares behind me for an hour or two at the bench.

Hope to catch you this afternoon/evening.

Tony

• Like 10

Bee securely lodged in bonnet about the next stage of canopy building, so I figured I'd work through lunch tomorrow to make up for stolen bench time today.

Windscreen methodolgy

Layer of low-tack tape over transparency, marked out with windscreen shape using originals as blank:

39814643131_9d064bc4e6_c.jpg

A couple of trim/test repeat cycles, and then epoxied into place:

25942206618_df15e70e9b_c.jpg

Total time on this occasion = 20 mins.

Even beginning to resemble a canopy now, albeit one recovering from substantive cosmetic surgery:

38915936025_46534c2619_c.jpg

As on the side windows, I left that front a tad long where it meets the fuselage in order to allow for a final trim when fixing the canopy on as a whole. Another day for that to cure and then onto the remaining triangular corner windows later in the week.

As to what goes under that construction - time to admit that I'm not going to be happy until we've rearranged the innards somewhat.

Before:

25942208558_c65450c4e2_c.jpg

After:

38915936815_3674f36176_c.jpg

Initial removal handled with a grinding disc in the Dremel, then a mixture of contour sawing and planing down flat with an handheld Stanley blade. I'm coming to rely on that latter technique more and more at this scale for getting a smooth, responsive finish.

You'll not be surprised to observe I also took the opportunity to whip out the mountings for Nav. and Radio Op. positions - didn't think there was any point half-doing the job.

IP bunged in with some White-tak to pencil-in a level for relocation of the rudder pedals further forwards:

25942209578_3e3ee65a9f_c.jpg

You can really start to see the difference in positioning now can't you?

Taking this shot as a reference for the in-flight positioning of the seats themselves:

38828399445_8250b3d272_c.jpg

...I played around with the positioning of the modified kit seat and a PJ figure in order to recreate the same relative separation 'twixt pilot and IP:

38915937945_a81aefbe2e_c.jpg

An overhead view shows the difference ion the new positioning of the seats for flight:

25942210608_5e17e8fa99_c.jpg

That new level has been pencilled in for the seats now as well:

38915939045_9c0c75b34f_c.jpg

Busy few days ahead as the pace picks up at work so that's why I wanted to cram that in today, being able to head into the maelstrom feeling that this was now set up for the next set of cockpit-related tasks.

And yes, I've managed to break the top of the rear bulkhead off AGAIN for the fourth time.:doh: It can stay off now until it's time to paint....

Have a good Sunday.

Tony

• Like 12