Catching Pictures in the Air

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Portholes damage repaired an new openings in right place this time:

35968063662_292c3216b3_c.jpg

Why do they appear to follow you around the room....scary!!

Great work on the BT Tony, it's looking rather splendid tacked onto the Boxcar's rear!

Keith

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Great work, though that hinged section reminds me of a 70s Smash advert.  "They peel them with their metal knives..."..

Careful, remember the next line was "then they smash them to pieces...ha, ha, ha!"!

Lovely work on the BT though. You could always use thin sheet to line the inside and totally hide the seams. With the ribs over it no-one will ever see any joins...

Ian

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Chin-up Alex. Just be glad you're not a sandeel in the puffin's beak of life...:ike:

SUPERB photo of the puffin there Tony. The Stripey-Tailed One will be over the moon, although I suspect that Percy will be jealous. Or strangely attracted...

8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

[Apologies to any non-Brits and/or people under the age of 50, who have not the tiniest clue what I'm on about, or even what Smash was...]

Er, that's me on the first count...what was it? Sounds dangerous.

@The Baron - looking excellent :).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexN said:

Er, that's me on the first count...what was it? Sounds dangerous.

It was (and apparently still is, though I haven't seen it in decades) a kind of dried instant mashed potato.  Yum yum, I hear you say.  Or possibly not.

This is the advert I was talking about...

• Like 7

What a great Puffin picture. It always amazes me how they manage to hold so many in their beaks - if I try that sort of thing I end up dropping the first one when I open my mouth for the second...

That said I have developed a cunning technique to carry mugs and cups from the dishwasher to cupboard; one handle on each finger, add another to the next joint - I can carry about ten.

Still not as good as the Puffin but hey, opposing thumbs aren't great for everything. Don't try this at home - it may end in tears :) 

What a great BT picture. It always amazes me how modellers develop techniques to avoid dropping things and/or achieving a straight cut. Great result Tony :) 

I used a little Lego 'truck' once (the set the girls had has several 'axles') to ensure a consistent level around the piece. Might work?

Smash advert? Thanks for posting it Crisp - I still can't help laughing with the Aliens... I used to say Martians but now, thanks to BM, I know they don't have enough tentacles. :D 

(Look at that, a whole post without any Dbl-Es. Losing my touch)

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It was (and apparently still is, though I haven't seen it in decades) a kind of dried instant mashed potato.  Yum yum, I hear you say.

Er, smashing ;). Thank you for that. We have - or had - a similar substance called 'Deb' over here, which I was quite partial to on occasion, although nothing beats the real thing.

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Still not as good as the Puffin but hey, opposing thumbs aren't great for everything

Opposable snappy beak things seem to be the go, Ced. May I suggest a surgical implant to impress Mrs CedB and all your friends?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Don't try this at home - it may end in tears

It definitely would in mine. We don't have a dishwasher....!! Other than Yours Truly that is....:D

And I'm one of those weirdo's who likes Smash - big dollop of butter in it, makes a lovely instant spud sarnie......yummy!

Keith

• Like 7

The advert was way better than the muck they were advertising. That said, Mrs Martian loves the stuff :mental:which is OK just so long as none of it finds it's way onto my plate! :chair:

Epicurious  of Mars

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work Tony, a very precise cut and true to.

I can see no reason why you should not be able to use the same method foe scribing.

Although it would mean adjusting the height each time.

Maybe a surface block and scriber set would be easier.

Cheers Simon. :thumbsup2:

A scribing block? I had no idea such things existed and am now ogling a number of engineering sites - thanks for the tip!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Never mond the Puffins or Sandeels, even your Beaver Tail has got sad eyes now.

Great work, though that hinged section reminds me of a 70s Smash advert.  "They peel them with their metal knives...".

[Apologies to any non-Brits and/or people under the age of 50, who have not the tiniest clue what I'm on about, or even what Smash was...]

P.S. I have used a similar method for drawing true horizontal lines around the hull of a ship.  Works every time.

I can recollect a tea in the mid-70s that consisted of Brains Faggots, Smash, and tinned peas. To my 10 year old self the ingestion of instant potatoes had all the glamour of living on Moonbase Alpha.

Vesta curries had a similar effect iirc!

21 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I think its still out there....somewhere.

Unbelievable. More Wiki lies.

That figure for Smash seems staggering Nigel. Quite believable for kebabs however...

20 hours ago, hendie said:

oooooh... nicely pilfered and even nicelierally executed.

It's great watching this all come together, particularly as you are not afraid to jump into new skills with both feet and no parachute.  The BT has turned out remarkably well... well, better than that actually.

One thing to be aware of coming down the pike is that once you cut the bottom door out, the structure will become a bit, maybe considerably flimsier.  I'd start thinking ab

out ways to add any internal cross bracing to add some rigidity back

Cheers hendie. Quite right - the rigidity issue is exercising my imagination at the current time. There's a bit of bracing can be adapted from the various actuating mechanisms I think (right hand graphic below):

2017-05-17_12-07-42

Plus some interior structure visible in this shot which @71chally drew to my attention some time ago that will perhaps do duty as well:

c119j5_big.jpg

• Like 9

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Why do they appear to follow you around the room....scary!!

Great work on the BT Tony, it's looking rather splendid tacked onto the Boxcar's rear!

18 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Careful, remember the next line was "then they smash them to pieces...ha, ha, ha!"!

Lovely work on the BT though. You could always use thin sheet to line the inside and totally hide the seams. With the ribs over it no-one will ever see any joins...

Keith, Ian: Thanks you two. I reckon some structural camouflage can be smuggled in without attracting too many glances.:D

11 hours ago, CedB said:

What a great Puffin picture. It always amazes me how they manage to hold so many in their beaks - if I try that sort of thing I end up dropping the first one when I open my mouth for the second...

OK. I'm going to rise to the bait on that.

[Preparatory cough]

'What's the most fish you ever carried in your mouth then Ced?':banghead:

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

And I'm one of those weirdo's who likes Smash - big dollop of butter in it, makes a lovely instant spud sarnie......yummy!

Yes. Yes you are. Very weird Keith. :hypnotised:

Have you ever had a meat-pie in a sandwich? I can recommend it if you ever feel you haven't had enough carbohydrates.:eat:

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

The advert was way better than the muck they were advertising. That said, Mrs Martian loves the stuff :mental:which is OK just so long as none of it finds it's way onto my plate! :chair:

How does it set? Would it do as a filler?

Sorry I've no pretty pictures tonight brethren. It's been an horrendous day wrestling with a software upgrade that completely pretzeled the rendering pipeline on my laptop. Hopefully tomorrow I can banish the curse of Mental Ray but I'm afraid it has robbed me of all motivation this evening.

Your posts cheered me up enormously though. Ta boys.

:thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 9

Superb Dexter action there Tony, a useful technique demonstrated.

The scribing blocks do sound interesting :hmmm: 

Whilst we're discussing Smash; maybe some Dutch viewers can confirm this as a 'Dutch snack' but:

Long ago I worked in The Netherlands. At the time a Dutch girlfriend used to make the following 'budget meal' that was quite delicious:

Smash, with hot Sauerkraut and slices of hot 'Frankfurter' type sausage mixed in.

That was it! Really simple but quite delicious. One for at least Keith to try at home :thumbsup2: .

'Brains Faggots' Le Baron. In the deep aluminium tray. Delicious :eat:. I always thought that they tasted like concentrated balls of Haslet. In a similar vein, who could forget the 'Goblin Meat Pudding' (boiled in its tin)? I always looked out for the bit of rubbery white vein/artery in every tin, but the Pudding edge/soft crust was lovely.

Vesta? Now that was exotic!! :o. Chicken Supreme with rice. What on earth is Chicken Supreme? Some of the meals came with odd expanding almost volcanic crispy noodles. They were just gorgeous :heart: 

Anyone hungry now? I am, with Mrs. T away and only 'Cup Soup' s left :confused: 

Looking forward to the next instalment

TonyT

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

That was it! Really simple but quite delicious. One for at least Keith to try at home :thumbsup2:

Most definitely Tony, that sounds lovely - shall get some German snosage next time I'm in Lidl's!

One of my favourite quick & dirty Smash 'meals' is a healthy (i.e. big!) portion of the instant spud, tin of beans, warm, & a tin of tuna, cold, drained. Smash (sorry) them all together,serve and enjoy...!! Mmmm!! 

K

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Have you ever had a meat-pie in a sandwich? I can recommend it if you ever feel you haven't had enough carbohydrates.:eat:

even better - a mince pie (or "Scotch Pie" to foreigners) on a "well fired" roll.  Or a bridie on a roll is equally as satisfying.

Though my grandfather was partial to a bar of chocolate on a roll - he often used to take that down the pit with him.  My grandmother was a bit more refined and she preferred some Fry's Cream on a piece.

• Like 5

Speaking of Fry's - my favouite still is their Turkish Delight - yummy! :))))))

And speaking of tools - this thread is more and more reminding me of the very large backlog of tools that are on a very long list that I intend to make (the tools, that is). I have had salt put on my tail by another project entirely and am slowly getting the micro-lathe going, and curiously the scribing block is near the top of the list, to skate around on my granite surface plate. I have a much larger but not nearly as convenient bought version It's a bit big for anything smaller than about 1/7 scale, however...

'Pillar' scriber

34661363270_3792b40002_b.jpg

'Pillar' scriber by Alex1N, on Flickr

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: --< not a scribing block

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

'What's the most fish you ever carried in your mouth then Ced?'

Four. But they were Whitebait so they probably don't count.

• Like 5

Thanks Tony. Another lovely catch up with "The Box". I'm currently in a less muddy field on a rainy day in the new Forrest. :ninja: The HP build has been turned into a party palace while I'm away, much like when you were away. :o

great work on the fit of the vacuform part, I'm very impressed. The Dexter action and the door positioning looks great too.:thumbsup: I was  thinking during the catch up about all those wonderful internals that you did all those months ago. Remember the toilet? 

I'm itching to get back to my build but I'm enjoying watching everyone else's come together while I'm away. Paint too, with all this El Barony your are really spoiling us.

Thanks for the fun catch up.

Johnny.

ps. Two builds you say.:P:drunk:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

The HP build has been turned into a party palace while I'm away, much like when you were away. :o

It's quite a nice party, wish you were there ;). I don't think that anyone's been seriously injured this time. Except maybe the goat when Percy hit it in the backside, going full tilt.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

In a similar vein, who could forget the 'Goblin Meat Pudding' (boiled in its tin)? I always looked out for the bit of rubbery white vein/artery in every tin, but the Pudding edge/soft crust was lovely.

Goblin Meat pudding has to be the Hobbit-est name for a meat product ever Tony!:rofl:

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

One of my favourite quick & dirty Smash 'meals' is a healthy (i.e. big!) portion of the instant spud, tin of beans, warm, & a tin of tuna, cold, drained. Smash (sorry) them all together,serve and enjoy...!! Mmmm!! 

You're getting worse as you're getting older Keith I swear. :doh: Puffin food!

17 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Eh, Vesta Chow Mein, lovely and still be sold now, with the crispy noodle sachets.

Everything has an unboxing video nowadays!

17 hours ago, hendie said:

even better - a mince pie (or "Scotch Pie" to foreigners) on a "well fired" roll.

Having lived in Glasgow for a period in the 80s I can attest to the nourishing powers of a hot mince pie on a raw winter afternoon. A most excellent foundation for a pint of heavy and a Glenmorangie.

16 hours ago, AlexN said:

It's a bit big

Good Grief! I've seen ICBMs launched from less!:lol:

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Four. But they were Whitebait so they probably don't count.

Only four? That's bordering on effete Sir Cedney!:lol: You're meant to tip half ta bowl of them into your mouth and then swig from the vinegar bottle. I saw it on Nigella.

15 hours ago, limeypilot said:

4 kippers would be much more impressive

Coincidentally I have four kippers in the fridge. I'll post them over to you Ian if you PM me an address.

7 hours ago, CedB said:

I like Kippers, but they effect my Herring :( 

...and you wonder why they call you Ced James.....:D

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

all those wonderful internals that you did all those months ago

Half of which I'll probably need to redo now, or have lost.:banghead:

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I'm currently in a less muddy field on a rainy day in the new Forrest.

I was admiring your caravan in the photo over on your thread Johnny - a most handsome cabin and tent  - quite Lawrence of Arabia Hampshire! I picture you reclining there at night under the stars with a hookah in all your arabesque glory, your face lit by the glow of an iPhone as you leaf through the forum, tutting at the chaos your thread has become....:cheers:

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Sorry, didn't catch that...

He said he was ashamed of such a bad pun I think Keith. My herring's going too though so that remark might be out of Plaice.

1 hour ago, AlexN said:

Except maybe the goat when Percy hit it in the backside, going full tilt.

About the goat:

9.jpg

I expect I'd look surprised too in that situation.

• Like 7

Despite another day in which I have been roundly cursing software companies precipitously rushing out updates full of bugs I regained my cool by evening and did a little more work on modifications to the BT.

The kit door from the front of the aircraft is roughly the correct width (though entirely the wrong shape) so yeilds a good starting outline to draw out the required door-shape:

36051926061_df0a187e21_c.jpg

The corrected paper template:

36051926321_52ff5fe178_c.jpg

Transferrring those markings to two 1mm piece of plastic card, drilling the windows and filing to shape gave this:

36051927031_217bb12065_c.jpg

Which when split and sanded turned into this:

36051925371_870ab30d33_c.jpg

By this stage I came to regard this as a test-run of the process only -  I filed-in the bottom of the left-hand door you see there too much at the bottom plus the window holes are too far apart on both of them (why two windows on a single door btw - odd!):

36051925721_2cdd22ed6d_c.jpg

I can probably lose about 1mm of the overall width of the doors also. With my crude maths I worked out that the length of that BT section overall is 3.75 times the width of that door in the side of it and the door is currently a tad over that.

Next time lucky but those lads just won't do the job in that state.

Why do I always seem to end up making parts slightly larger than they need to be? I once built a dog kennel that ended up the size of a small air raid shelter.....

:bye:

Night all.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

...and you wonder why they call you Ced James.....

013bba27ff1eb2b2b192060b81f71e1a--comedy

Nice doors. Fnaff naff nah (pathetic attempt at SJ laugh)

• Like 4