Catching Pictures in the Air

You call THAT a bombsite appearing bench?

Mrs P will probably be entering in to diplomatic discussions to have you assigned to her and me dumped overseas to some unsuspecting colony...

I am really enjoying this in a specially vicarious manner

All this wonderful stuff being produced at the bare suggestions of we minions

Magical our Tony

(Suggestion #42, the Lar... seriously consider Crispination for rivetting purposes)

• Like 5

Bombsite? you have no conception of the meaning of the word Sir!

Is to crispinate a new verb now? Not sure I fancy being crispinated though!  :unsure:

Doubtful of Mars

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And after we got it nice and clean after the party. Tsk!

I'm still finding crisp packets down the back of the radiators and why do our chickens only drink Liebfraumilch now?

15 hours ago, perdu said:

You call THAT a bombsite appearing bench?

Mrs P will probably be entering in to diplomatic discussions to have you assigned to her and me dumped overseas to some unsuspecting colony...

Baron-trafficking is still an offence in many countries!:blink:

15 hours ago, perdu said:

I am really enjoying this in a specially vicarious manner

All this wonderful stuff being produced at the bare suggestions of we minions.

Delighted to hear that Bill. 

My children however are quite concerned that pater has started cooking plastic in the oven and now poke their food suspiciously...

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Bombsite? you have no conception of the meaning of the word Sir!

Clearly I am underachieving! The carpet now is most definitely a prime example of bomb-shelter chic, being largely a series of 'interesting' textures in a fan/around where I sit.

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Is to crispinate a new verb now? Not sure I fancy being crispinated though!  :unsure:

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

This model has been Crispinised for your safety.

:D That sounds so much better than having to say: 'I didn't win - the judges said my Spitfire wasn't Crispy enough.'....

Purely by coincidence I found myself looking at the HGW site last evening and shaking inwardly at the swirl of thoughts....

• Like 6

As in 'Externally rivetted to allow safer handling'?

I can't see that being too popular, I had an aerial on my Auster AOP6 broken by some dummy mishandling it at a certain show oop north in February last

• Like 4

3 hours ago, perdu said:

As in 'Externally rivetted to allow safer handling'?

I can't see that being too popular, I had an aerial on my Auster AOP6 broken by some dummy mishandling it at a certain show oop north in February last

That 'like' was obviously out of fellow-feeling. I presume the lawbreaker absconded before you were able to administer righteous justice?

11 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Ah well, now, see, it's umm, errr like this......

...blame :dinosaur:, he's a bad influence....:whistle:

That's one up on 'the dog ate my homework' Keithster! 'My dinosaur gave wine to your chickens' indeed!:lol:

• Like 3

Sorry about all the explosions Tony, we were erm trying rig up a little surprise but ended up blowing a few things up. At least your eggs give a little kick in the morning now though.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Niche-marketable perhaps?:hmmm: Well...I have been pondering options for a career-change. :whistle:

No. It sounds intriguing James. Pray tell! :nodding:

Actually I don't think it's going to be particularly practical on raised surface details, but you gently scrape a curved edge scalpel blade (no 10) along the panel lines and it shaves small indentations into the surface, gives the aged and rippled panel look quite nicely.  

Worked a treat on my little helo, but going easy is the key.

Interesting that you split the buck vertically, what happened to the top and bottom half approach?

BTW I'M willing to purchase a test run or two from you, I fancy doing an Italian A/F J sometime before I die!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, perdu said:

At the very least you can be entitled to expect MAGNIFICENT coq au vin from now on.  😨

Or pickled hen! :lol:

4 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Sorry about all the explosions Tony, we were erm trying rig up a little surprise but ended up blowing a few things up. At least your eggs give a little kick in the morning now though.

All is forgiven Tomo after spending the last ten minutes watching that video! :nodding:

Given the success of the Lego movies it can only be a matter of time before the F&F franchise gets the feature-length Hot Wheels treatment....

FU6817lg.jpg

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Actually I don't think it's going to be particularly practical on raised surface details, but you gently scrape a curved edge scalpel blade (no 10) along the panel lines and it shaves small indentations into the surface, gives the aged and rippled panel look quite nicely.  

Worked a treat on my little helo, but going easy is the key.

Interesting that you split the buck vertically, what happened to the top and bottom half approach?

Thanks for that info James!:thumbsup2:

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

BTW I'M willing to purchase a test run or two from you, I fancy doing an Italian A/F J sometime before I die!

No purchcase necessary my friend: PM me a postal address and I'm happy to stick you a set in the post. :nodding:

44 minutes ago, hendie said:

ah... so it's not just me then

I went for the vertical split in the end James & hendie as with doors and portholes to add on both sides I didn't want to be cutting/drilling on a weak seam. It seems a more (cue: hostage to fortune quote :blah:) straightforward proposition just to have to re-join the two halves the lower retractable door-part of the BT:

_DSC7048.JPG

Image credit: The Aero Experience

4 hours ago, HomerJ_757 said:

So would St Crispin be the patron saint of model riveting?

:nodding:

...and every 25th October the faithful can celebrate by getting as rivetted as a newt in the parish hall.

On the Pull

As a mere tyro at vacforming only a couple of test results under my belt I decided to treat the actual final go-for-it session as a learning/familiarization experience, partly also to encourage others to try it out and show the different methods I tried out. I found a pack of old staples lurking on an shelf last evening  for a stapler I no longer have, so these were co-opted to keep the buck raised off of the vacform rig:

35149426383_2d879d7102_c.jpg

Throughout all that follows, the (electric) oven temperature was kept at a continual 230°C and 1mm plastic sheet was used.

One aspect of the testing involved seeing if the orientation and spacing of these particular shapes on the vacform rig has any impact:

35149420723_cfc27190f5_b.jpg

As you can see, the one on the far right has most issues where the end of the BT is too close to the other part and a buttress has formed between them. it's also worth pointing out that visual differences in the above appearrance of the plastic result from varying the length of time the plastic was left in the oven. Again, the one on the far right was left in for the longest, hence it is thinner and shinier than the others but as a consequence gave the sharpest shape-definition. That doesn't of course always equate to being the most desirable result, if you're also looking for a certain level of strength and rigidity....

Those wrinkles/buttresses frankly alarmed me at first, until subsequent investigation  revealed that on cutting them down they are in fact solid and can be shaped back to the original countour of the mould:

35826747131_f786c66e2b_c.jpg

On the first pulls as well the plastic locked very tightly onto the buck and was quite problematic to free afterwards:

35917813576_9dfda53317_c.jpg

As you can see, this was as a result of heat causing the PPP filler to react and adhere to the plastic - which necessitated some minor running repairs to the buck.

In the end I did a total of four pulls this afternoon, both for experience, and as Martian suggested yesterday, to have a 'just-in-case' spare or two. Here they are in numerical order:

35149422213_364f185b5e_c.jpg

1. First pull, plastic in oven for approx. three mins.

2. Plastic in for about 40 seconds longer.

3. Plastic in for 2 and a half minutes - too short for successful mould on one of the bucks so heat gun subsequently applied.

4  Plastic in oven for approx. three mins again.

Bill: I think you mentioned some time back not to be surprised if the first pull was a good 'un and indeed this turns out to be the case in the one I've elected to use:

35788675282_dd28f4cc87_c.jpg

By comparison to the one that was in the oven the longest:

35149424133_5d8bb65608_c.jpg

Whilst the shape is sharper and has more pleasing optical qualities, the walls are not thick enough for my liking given the poles etc. which are going to be hanging out the back in the final assembly.

The results of clumsy technique with the heat gun can be seen here:

35917808296_5b8548638c_c.jpg

I should have either used a cooler setting or kept the nozzle playing around the area more widely as it went pear-shaped in a trice.

You'll not be surprised that - rough as it is -  I couldn't resist taping together the halves of the first pull that I intend using:

35149425193_3a6c07bfc1_c.jpg

Quite happy at this point in time:

35917809706_b6781e73d4_c.jpg

I want to take my time cleaning those two halves up (and have a busy week filming coming up as well) so little and often will be the course for the next few days.

The buck has currently stopped here.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Re the Chickens.

Just be grateful that we couldn't spell Prosecco on the shopping list

Your local Fagznbooz had also run out of Lambrini and Black Tower.

Trevor

Why is there someone making an aeroplane in this thread????

• Like 6

Well done Mr. Baron, it looks like you have produced a very usable BT there :clap2:!

Regarding your filming; I hope it goes well.

I heard that Hugh Grant, and Kristin Scott-Thomas are already confirmed, with Mike Newell back in the director's chair :photo:.

Not as catchy a title as 'Notting Hill', but 'Four Pullings and a Beavertail' is sure to be a hit!

I hear that a lucrative product placement contract has been signed with Dyson.

:winkgrin:.

T

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Great stuff Tony and I'm pleased you have a set that you're happy with - they look good to me :)

Four pulls in one afternoon? What a man (fnaar fnaar) :wicked: 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Wonderful bit of catching up there Tony. You seem to have done a stunning job of that that buck! All that pulling eh? B) Bravo my good man.

Really chugging along now. Looking forward to see how you get the detailing done. All I can think about is sanding at the moment. -_-.

johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Very nice job Dear Baron,

May be another way to scratchbuilt an Avro Bison after all.

Seem to work well

Oh No, not another stupid idea from my Chimay distorted mind.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

Excellent work! Nice :).

I still can't understand why you split the thing vertically, even after your explanation - but then, I am a bear of very little brain (mostly sawdust, &c.). Methinks I will have to trudge back and read those bits again.

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not puzzled, but won't explain

• Like 3