Catching Pictures in the Air

Regretfully I feel we will all be enjoying the fruits of that last post for some considerable time

I feel that familiar 'must get' urge coming on

Archie's drill...

Don't have - should get

M U S T  G E T !

. . .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Cheers Martian! I think I've got a perforated ulcer now after that last bout of...err...perforating.

It is Ced. One of these:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Expo-Archimedes-PCB-Drill-w-2-collets-0-1mm-75022-/322511613987?hash=item4b1730b023:g:APwAAOSwtGlZEslq

Something doesn't sound quite right with yopurs though from what you're saying. I took mine apart just to show all the bits:

34485971191_be76e8ee47_c.jpg

A daft question but does yours have that handgrip bit above the collet in this photo that rotates freely when you hold it? The collar part at the front tightens to clamp the collet around the drill bit, but it's the handgrip part higher up on this model that you hold between your fingers to steady it as you pump it up and down. (Dear Christ...of all the people to write that last sentence to! :lol: ) Apologies for probably telling you what you already know Ced but just wanted to make sure you had all the parts on yours one.

HTH,

T.

Thanks Tony - it is indeed the same as mine, thanks for the info...

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Ced's going to have a field day with that last post Baroness!

Martian

Martian I'm sure I don't know what you mean...

I'm currently watching 'Interstellar' again (in the vain hope that I'll understand it this time... we'll see) so I've not tried the suggestions yet. 

To make sure I've got it right, you're telling me I should get a grip with my fingers on the bit above the collet and steady it, turning slightly, whilst pumping up and down. I may try that before I go to bed and will report tomorrow. 

I may even see if I can get the Archimedes drill working too :wicked: 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Tony - it is indeed the same as mine, thanks for the info...

Martian I'm sure I don't know what you mean...

I'm currently watching 'Interstellar' again (in the vain hope that I'll understand it this time... we'll see) so I've not tried the suggestions yet. 

To make sure I've got it right, you're telling me I should get a grip with my fingers on the bit above the collet and steady it, turning slightly, whilst pumping up and down. I may try that before I go to bed and will report tomorrow. 

I may even see if I can get the Archimedes drill working too :wicked: 

You don't need to pump up and down. Just tighten the collet as one would normally do and have the bit above the collet up against it. then holding both the collet and the bit against it twist them in opposite directions thus tightening the bit in the collet. Its quite difficult to explain but very easy to do.

Martian

• Like 2

Thanks chaps - to be serious for a minute I can now drill a hole successfully. One small step for a skilled modeller, one huge leap for a kit bashing idiot :D 

• Like 6

Evening chaps! 

I just had a damn fine chuckle at that lot. Tbh I feared I would return to a flurry of doobul-entendrays worthy of the great Julian and Sandy themselves. I'm mortified to find you've behaved yourselves in my absence. For shame boys! :lol:

Ced: glad that's all sorted.:thumbsup2:

Bill: thou knowest thou needest one...

Martian and Keith: models of restraint both of you. I hope it's not catching...;)

I did a little gluing earlier, epoxying the actuators onto the metal mounts on the cable deck and adding some scrap PE along the sides of them to approximate the real thing. I didn't want to risk damaging it by moving it for photos until the glue has had the night to harden off though, so Ill stick some shots up tomorrow evening.  

Dublin was great as ever (as long as you give the grotty Temple Bar region a wide berth) We stayed in a great little B&B just North of St.Stephens Green that oozed a 1930s style and comfort. As I always do in such places I felt shamefully scruffy, as if I was letting the wallpaper down. 

In the afternoon I got to go into a model shop unaccompanied by a responsible adult and proceeded to denude the Evergreen plastics stand of strips and channels like a petrochemically-addicted locust, easily exceeding any pretence at budget on that alone. A Rotodyne was eyed speculatively, whilst a Flower Class corvette (I'm a sucker for Monsarrat...) was contemplated and a Soviet Field Kitchen inexplicably looked at with interest, but no kits bought in the end as Mrs.B had been promised dinner out....Persian, with lots of saffron. Delish!

The Laurie Anderson concert (you couldn't possibly just call it a gig) later in the evening was without doubt one of the most extraordinary musical events I've ever been to; I still don't know what words to use to describe it, her command of words and electronic music are completely unique. There were some references to her late husband Lou Reed woven in towards the end that must have been very hard to perform.

Kernackered now this evening but hopefully more focussed stuff developing over the week,

:bye:

Tony

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Martian and Keith: models of restraint both of you. I hope it's not catching...;)

Restraint? I'm clearly slipping, it certainly won't happen again from this Martian I can promise you!

Martian, Having to pull his socks up ( all eight of them!)

• Like 2

Compass Rose

Possibly my favourite ship, even higher in my esteem than Pequod

Although I did become a veritable sucker for Mr Reeman's epics

'A Prayer For The Ship', one of my all time greats

anyway

I'm glad you had a good Dublin

I had a less  than adequate weekend myself, I will just beggar off to one side and mope...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Restraint? I'm clearly slipping, it certainly won't happen again from this Martian I can promise you!

That's the spirit! :D

20 hours ago, perdu said:

Compass Rose

Possibly my favourite ship, even higher in my esteem than Pequod

Good man Bill! :thumbsup2: 

20 hours ago, perdu said:

Although I did become a veritable sucker for Mr Reeman's epics

Our school library of all places was well stocked with Mr. Reeman; presumably someone on the staff was a fan. During the same period I inherited a genuine navy reefer from my great grandfather and  sat buttoned up in it whilst reading my way through them in the evenings....

Sorry to hear your weekend wasn't great sir - I hope things are OK?

20 hours ago, Sprueloose said:

Baron, have you seen these? 

Oh my goodness Terry that is a profoundly satisfying artefact! I cannot conceive of life without one and must now add that to the coming summer purchase list. Are you going to get one too?:lol:

Egad. I haven't gotten much done at all since the weekend; too tired for any delicate work tonight but I did feed some colour photos into the iModelkit app and have it spit out some colour ratios for the interior green. 

34637600516_f08b52c2ec_b.jpg

I've nae intention of igniting a sub-EDSG colour-war by asking if you think I've got it right. No two sets of colour photos show the exact same colour due to different camera sensitivities, exposures and bad white balancing so after a lot of comparisons I'm running with this result. 

I love this app and wish they'd port it to Android as I'm sure a lot more people would use it if they realised how handy it is as a diagnostic tool.

Any of you read this account of Blenheim reconnaissance flights before and during Dunkirk?

51voWGrPvwL._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I finished it off last night - one of the best memoirs of this period I've ever come across. Simply written and  beautifully observed.

Tony

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Oh my goodness Terry that is a profoundly satisfying artefact! I cannot conceive of life without one and must now add that to the coming summer purchase list. Are you going to get one too?:lol:

I don't know if the micro mark ones are made by these peeps Tony, theirs come in various lengths & either metric or Imperial, & I found them listed on e-bay uk so you may be able to get one on your local flea bay. And no, I haven't bought one. Yet!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191627537484

K

• Like 1

The book looks good, the colour seems likely

I would however, simply use Tamiya XF-4 with a tad of grey in it

All those interior green guesses look different every time anyway  ;)

I do dig the touch of red in the recipe, ever since Crisp posted the recipe for RAF BG with a tad of green in it

This afternoon i blobbed a passable RAF BG mixed up with Vallejo 71.004 Blue with a small dollop of 70.612 Nato Green in it

No cigars for accuracy but very reasonable for the secret, nay clandestine use I had for it

Anyway, I gave up smoking many years ago, probably the reason I get the occasional shakes now mayhap, so I didn't need the cigar

Oh yes thanks for asking, I am OK but was having a shonky time fitting the hood to the Midge

last lap soon

When/If it stops raining...

The too damned thick screen seal is next...

There is a new guy in town

Those marking rules

oh dear and wow  :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I love this app...

Me too, but is there a manual / user guide somewhere? I have no idea of how to use some of the features :( 

That said, when I met John (Whofan) at the Gloucester show my iModelkit was able to identify a bottle of Xtracrylic he had without a label by looking at the cap with the camera. I hope it got it right!

• Like 1

It's a goldmine is this thread - but it's a bad influence too.  I hereby confess to having got one of them there archimedes drills cos of this thread.  I dunno why - seeing as I've never thought I needed one before - but I've got one now and the trouble is I don't need to drill any holes....very frustrating.

But at least I've benefitted from the tutorial - although now when I use it I'll have to consciously close my mind to distracting innuendo.

And now I'm gonna have to look up this iModelkit app.  I dunno why - seeing as I've never thought I needed it before.......but...but....

And now I'm gonna have to read Six weeks of Blenheim Summer......(no caveat on this one - it'll be a pleasure)

I do already have one of the precision marking ruler type thingy's tho - which I find quite useful when cutting plastic card into strips - it's good for quickly and accurately marking consistent width strips.

Oh - and the fuselage interior is looking fab :)

• Like 4

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I don't know if the micro mark ones are made by these peeps Tony, theirs come in various lengths & either metric or Imperial, & I found them listed on e-bay uk so you may be able to get one on your local flea bay.

This is some kind of ongoing group plan you guys hatched whilst I was away to bankrupt me, right?:lol: You know I'm not a strong person....

18 hours ago, perdu said:

All those interior green guesses look different every ti

To add to the confusion I've recently noticed some extra diffrences in close-ups of restored or museum aircraft where a slightly different green has been sprayed over an existing shade, rendering the

idea of getting an exact match from some photos a Jesuitical enterprise altogether...

18 hours ago, perdu said:

This afternoon i blobbed a passable RAF BG mixed up with Vallejo 71.004 Blue with a small dollop of 70.612 Nato Green in it

Man, this dude's on fire! Go daddio! B)

18 hours ago, CedB said:

Me too, but is there a manual / user guide somewhere? I have no idea of how to use some of the feature

Here thou goest Brother Ced. Fill yer boots with .pdfs from here:

http://www.id6.ch/id6_WebSite_en/News/Entries/2014/10/1_iModelKit_Help_is_online.html

18 hours ago, CedB said:

That said, when I met John (Whofan) at the Gloucester show my iModelkit was able to identify a bottle of Xtracrylic he had without a label by looking at the cap with the camera

I hope there were females present to admire this Magnum P.I. panache.....

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

It's a goldmine is this thread - but it's a bad influence too.  

Any watching economists would probably call it the frantic afterlife of late capitalism...

I hereby confess to having got one of them there archimedes drills cos of this thread.  I dunno why - seeing as I've never thought I needed one before - but I've got one now and the trouble is I don't need to drill any holes....very frustrating.

Good. :thumbsup: I never thought I needed on either Steve (especially given the large size) but I find it eminently more controllable than smaller versions of such kit, possibly given the greater heft it has in the hand. (I just know that last senetence is a hostage to fortune considering the company o nthis thread...:o) It hasn't stopped me breaking drill bits altogether, but it has at least diminished the rate at which I trend to get through them...

And now I'm gonna have to look up this iModelkit app.

Give it a spin at least - of all the ones I've tried regarding paint comparisons and mixing this is by a long chalk the best-featured. IIRC @Ex-FAAWAFUhas a fondness for it was well and that seals the deal AFAIC.

And now I'm gonna have to read Six weeks of Blenheim Summer.

A perfect time given the month we're in....I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Now then me beauties. Progress here has been pretty mixed of late and mulling this over last evening I think I'd been suffering from 'part-creep'.  Kind of like mission-creep but, well, only seeing the next part and losing sight of the overall goal  -which is of course to build an aircaft. Lack of discipline, mea culpa and so forth but as pleasurable as it is doing bits here and there, were needed a checklist or this thing will never get off the ground. First things on the list therefore are to finish-off the bits that I've been doing on and off but never finishing, as well as making runningn repairs to anything that's been knocked.

Up first then:

34657281246_faaa58befa_z.jpg

A few minuettos on the lathe and we now have a toilet machined out of sprue from the kit.

Aircrew. For the relief of:

34313137820_6dca9c1e75_z.jpg

The ensemble offset by two water cisterns to go up on the wall above said podium:

34697546295_6a6a4f8e6a_z.jpg

Will we break with USAF protocol and go for a lovely 1970s avocado finish that would give Terence Conran the screaming ab-dabs?:owww:

These parts will remain spartan of detail as they'll be right down the end and in shadow, but I wanted to putsomething 'indicative' there...

Now. The bit I'm most pleased with today:

34313135920_8394175eef_c.jpg

Yes, I'll admit it look like the result of something ill-advised involving fire. But lo, it is one of these:

34535960102_86b5b7e39a_c.jpg

The once-mysterious access ladder for the upper parts of the aircraft. Tidied and temporarily bodged in place with Blu-Tak I think it'll do:

34313136980_7896e8afb4_c.jpg

I'm rather glad I don't have to do a longer one of these for the starboard side as I don't mind admitting that was a struggle to get done in one single soldering operation. This was the second attempt, this time using Cadmium as a lower melting-point solder, I tried lead before on the first go and the structure heated up too much.

Also during this session I found out that the cheap pencil blowtorch I bought for said jobs is bloody useless (it seems to  leak like hell  after being refilled and I don't frankly trust it, so it's binned) so I went back t othe faithful old chef's torch I'd used up until now, and it did the job fine in the end. 

Next task:  a couple of crew seats to dangle off the wall for the pole-handlers to secrete themselves in on the way to the Big Catch.

Have a fine evening mes braves.

Tony

• Like 13

Great stuff Tony, that ladder and toilet are works of art :)

Thanks for the iModelKit help files - I had emailed their support and got a reply from the CEO! Here it is:

Sure ! Our interface may seem to be a bit complex as it, now, allows a lot of features. This should be easy but there are a few things to learn before. To do that, help screens are available on each application's different screen. You can access help screens by taping on the current screen's title or by sliding up with 2 fingers. The main help describes any active area of the current screen and there is a textual general description of the screen. On a few screens there is also some warning information (mainly about colours and mixes).

Best regards,

Pierre-Alain Réveillon

CEO
id6 Sàrl

• Like 2

Pity the little pencil torch hasn't panned out, mine needs very tight closing when it is filled too but when I worked automotive breakdowns it more than paid for its keep

I learnt that I must always keep it tightly shut and it would need a refill before use and then I found the pencil flame component of its existence was just a bit miraculous...

(Never had a cook's torch though so there's no way I can compare them)

• Like 1

Nice work Tony. Sadly, I can't think of any suitable toilet jokes to embellish this reply with but I am sure others will oblige.

Martian

• Like 1

Nice work Tony! Nothing like a little metal work to get the juices flowing!

I think that I need to follow your lead and make a list for me Whirlwind to bring the goal into focus.

Terry

• Like 1