Catching Pictures in the Air

17 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Still, I am sure that if I wait long enough, something will turn up.

Tentacles crossed.:thumbsup2:

18 hours ago, 71chally said:

Is there a link to that Tony, sounds interesting.

Here you go James - the download link is on this page:

http://diskokosmiko.mx/porrecamario/italeri-44767/italeri-c-119-boxcar,539294.pdf

Some good drawings!

13 hours ago, Sprueloose said:

After you paint the ceiling what glue do you use to attach the oxygen tanks?

Terry, I've attached a metal pin to the bottom of the bracket and this can then locate the part via a hole drilled in the ceiling:

34492831626_f5b915b52e_c.jpg

a dab of epoxy to keep it in place should suffice: I didn't relish gluing the frame straight onto painted bin-bag - I can't imagine it would have ended happily!

Nowt for you tonight I'm sorry to say - busy day and out of patience so anything delicvate was sure to be a source of frustration. Mrs. B has an opening tomorrow night as well so I don't imagine getting any serious bench time until midweek at the earliest. Anyone see the moon and Jupiter in close conjunction last night - I wahacked the smartphone up to a piar of binoculars for a shaky shot:

33716487123_6c1eb86aa9_m.jpg

Jupiter is at the 5.30 position in relation to the la Lune. The cameraphone won't show it due to their faintness but through the binocs you could just discern the sparks of  a couple of Jupiter's own Galilean moons. Eeerily beautiful with just the last few birds singing plaintively as the night-shadow came up from the East. Most Matthew Arnold-ish, though I couldn't find myself mourning a loss of faith:

Dover Beach

The sea is calm tonight. 

The tide is full, the moon lies fair 

Upon the straits; on the French coast the light 

Gleams and is gone; the cliffs of England stand, 

Glimmering and vast, out in the tranquil bay. 

Come to the window, sweet is the night-air! 

Only, from the long line of spray 

Where the sea meets the moon-blanched land, 

Listen! you hear the grating roar 

Of pebbles which the waves draw back, and fling, 

At their return, up the high strand, 

Begin, and cease, and then again begin, 

With tremulous cadence slow, and bring 

The eternal note of sadness in. 

Sophocles long ago 

Heard it on the Ægean, and it brought 

Into his mind the turbid ebb and flow 

Of human misery; we 

Find also in the sound a thought, 

Hearing it by this distant northern sea. 

The Sea of Faith 

Was once, too, at the full, and round earth’s shore 

Lay like the folds of a bright girdle furled. 

But now I only hear 

Its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar, 

Retreating, to the breath 

Of the night-wind, down the vast edges drear 

And naked shingles of the world. 

Ah, love, let us be true 

To one another! for the world, which seems 

To lie before us like a land of dreams, 

So various, so beautiful, so new, 

Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, 

Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain; 

And we are here as on a darkling plain 

Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight, 

Where ignorant armies clash by night.

• Like 13

20 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Here you go James - the download link is on this page:

http://diskokosmiko.mx/porrecamario/italeri-44767/italeri-c-119-boxcar,539294.pdf

Some good drawings!

Wow thanks, what an usual gift from a mainstream kit manufacturer, the stations and skinning drawings are especially useful.  Some things learned from that, and forgot that the French operated them.

Won't ask about Lady Bs' opening.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

I hope your Lady's exhibition goes well Tony (comments about the Baroness' opening are inappropriate!) :) 

• Like 2

This gets better and better Tony. Totally bonkers detailing, but I like that sort of thing.

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Nowt for you tonight I'm sorry to say - busy day and out of patience so anything delicvate was sure to be a source of frustration. Mrs. B has an opening tomorrow night as well so I don't imagine getting any serious bench time until midweek at the earliest. Anyone see the moon and Jupiter in close conjunction last night - I wahacked the smartphone up to a piar of binoculars for a shaky shot:

33716487123_6c1eb86aa9_m.jpg

Jupiter is at the 5.30 position in relation to the la Lune. The cameraphone won't show it due to their faintness but through the binocs you could just discern the sparks of  a couple of Jupiter's own Galilean moons. Eeerily beautiful with just the last few birds singing plaintively as the night-shadow came up from the East. Most Matthew Arnold-ish, though I couldn't find myself mourning a loss of faith:

Roight up then, where's the black monolith? C'mon I saw it on the telly and in a film so it must be true. D'ya think you'd get a better view from Martian's house?

• Like 6

Thank you Baron for that poem. Here in the bright sun it is like peering into a dark and cool forest glade. Sad perhaps but those were the times. 

So emergency ladder for exit via the roof in case of a water landing or some other dire occasion that would make opening the rear doors in advisable. 

It's always educational here!

Terry

• Like 1

That interior looks great in that mid shot.:lol: I see what you mean about the roof. Looks really good.

i noticed the star below the moon last night so we shot on twitter and got our answers. Wonderful sight.

good luck to Mrs B, hope everything goes well.

take care.

Jont

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Anyone see the moon and Jupiter in close conjunction last night?

I saw it. My thoughts were "I wonder if that's Jupiter next to the moon?" but I then thought it didn't look bright enough. It must have been washed out a bit by the glare of the nearby moon.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2017 at 2:39 PM, Martian Hale said:

Well that almost settles it! Bear witness the the guy dared me not to do it! One of the worst things you can do is to dare this Martian not to do something so when the thread does eventually appear you can all blame Corsaircorp. In reality the only thing that has been holding me back s the want of a spare set of beaching gear from the Tamiya Swordfish floatplane kit. I can't really afford to buy a kit just for the few parts I need.

Martian

See PM.  Operation MartianFloatingRoc could yet be on!

• Like 3

Well Tony, I have just caught up with this build again and have got to say  wow.

I like the idea of the lights, I have some sequins lying around some where, ( used for fishing before anybody asked. )

Looking forward to seeing more of this splendid build.

Simon.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 5:02 PM, 71chally said:

Wow thanks, what an usual gift from a mainstream kit manufacturer, the stations and skinning drawings are especially useful.

I just wish I was aware of the thing at the start of this - it would have made some jobs a wholelot easier....

On 5/8/2017 at 6:01 PM, Gondor44 said:

Is there not an access to the roof through the central section of the wing which the ladder would be used for ascending through/to?

It's possible of course but I've no photographic evidence of this...

On 5/8/2017 at 7:02 PM, CedB said:

I hope your Lady's exhibition goes well Tony

A gentleman as ever Ced: my thanks for the good wishes. It was a great night with lots of food and drink and a nice bunch of people. It's quite interesting watching the woman you live with speaking in public and just being anonymous in the audience yourself - I was most proud of her. Our youngest son practically cleared the buffet table single handed, much to the amusement of the doting matriarchs who thrust sandwich upon sandwich at him. I couldn't help thinking of Just William. Driving home there was a fat red sun on one horizon and a pearl moon rising on the opposite one. A perfect ending.

On 5/8/2017 at 7:31 PM, 71chally said:

I think there was a roof hatch just aft of the rear spar, besides the two escape hatches aft of the wing trailing edges.

Any photos? This was not an aircraft renowned for banking towards the photographer in flight frustratingly.... :D

On 5/8/2017 at 8:47 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Roight up then, where's the black monolith? C'mon I saw it on the telly and in a film so it must be true. D'ya think you'd get a better view from Martian's house?

Is this the entrance to his lair...?:spider:

http://www.space.com/18519-mars-caves-lava-tubes-photos.html

On 5/8/2017 at 9:01 PM, Sprueloose said:

Thank you Baron for that poem.

My pleasure Terry. I often visit Stephen Pentz's blog to cool the brain. He keeps good company with poets and painters:

http://firstknownwhenlost.blogspot.ie/

On 5/8/2017 at 9:01 PM, Sprueloose said:

So emergency ladder for exit via the roof in case of a water landing

I really really don't think you wanted to be in a '119 if it hit the water. I understand trhe chances of surviving such an event were nil or even lower....

On 5/8/2017 at 9:13 PM, The Spadgent said:

good luck to Mrs B, hope everything goes well.

Many thanks for that Johnny.:thumbsup2:

On 5/9/2017 at 1:07 PM, Nigel Heath said:

It must have been washed out a bit by the glare of the nearby moon.

It can happen with a bright source in proximity like that, especially if there's some high haze to spread the glare creating a wider wash of light in the vicinity.

18 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Operation MartianFloatingRoc could yet be on!

A Martian 'floater':oThat's sure to clear any swimming pool in 5 seconds flat.

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Well Tony, I have just caught up with this build again and have got to say  wow.

I like the idea of the lights, I have some sequins lying around some where, ( used for fishing before anybody asked. )

Looking forward to seeing more of this splendid build.

Thanks for that Simon. Are the sequins for flatfish rigs? I used to have a bash at that years ago, with limited success. I also find the small lead split-shot from float fishing perfect for keeping Alclad stirred if you pop one in the bottle, like the ball bearing in spraycans...

Work is just mad at the moment lads so I've no progress to pass on at this stage sadly. I'm up in Dublin the weekend as well (a kind friend bunged myself and Mrs. B tickets to see Laurie Anderson up in the NCH so we're getting a night away from the bairns) which means this thread won't be the most active for a while. It's really a case of getting the walls and for'ard bulkhead finished of with sundry boxes and wiring, and the top ofthe ceiling detailed, then painting it. Someone remind me to make comprehenasive measurements for the bloody beaver-tail before I start gluing the fuselage together, there's the small matter of working out how to build and articulate that robustly enough that it won't drop off....

I hope you're all doing ok out there. Not being able to do stuff regularly for a bit makes me realize how much this place has become part of the fabric of life, and how much I miss your company...

:bye:

Tony

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Thanks for that Simon. Are the sequins for flatfish rigs? I used to have a bash at that years ago, with limited success. I also find the small lead split-shot from float fishing perfect for keeping Alclad stirred if you pop one in the bottle, like the ball bearing in spraycans...

Yes Tony, you can get small beads etc.

I use 0.5 oz leads flattened out for counter balance weights.

Enjoy Laurie Anderson, I can remember "Oh Superman" from many years ago.

Simon.

• Like 1

Laurie Anderson, oh..., super, man!

Mum went to see her at in the mid '80s, very good apparently.

There is an upper central hatch, aft of the rear spar, however this is likely to be the liferaft stowage hatch. 

On some preserved 119s the box in that area looks like it could be used as a way through, but on others that central rail is in the way, which makes me lean to the liferaft theory.

The C-82 has a similar layout, and it is a raft stowage on that, it also has that same ladder on the ceiling.

This escape hatches roof area can be seen in the internal shots, the area with no roof insulation and with yellow 'rungs' up the sides. 

In one of the earlier J museum shots I think that you can even see the port hatch is removed.

In this shot you can see the hatch or liferaft box, brighter green in the middle.

3211185337_f2e73aa129_b.jpg

In this pic you can see the centre hatch (within the rear square walkway), and the two aft escape hatches

c199__20.jpg

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 13

16 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Enjoy Laurie Anderson, I can remember "Oh Superman" from many years ago.

Cheers Simon. The whole gig is meant to be totally improvised on the night, so it should be interesting. :violin:

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Have a great time in Dublin :)

Thanks Ced. There is a model shop there as well of course.....:whistle:

11 hours ago, 71chally said:

Laurie Anderson, oh..., super, man!

Mum went to see her at in the mid '80s, very good apparently.

Aaaaaaannd now I'm feeling old....:lol:

11 hours ago, 71chally said:

In this pic you can see the centre hatch (within the rear square walkway), and the two aft escape hatches

What would I do without you James? Another brilliant photo backed up by clear structural information. My thanks. :worthy:

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

What would I do without you James? Another brilliant photo backed up by clear structural information. My thanks. :worthy:

Probably carry on and do really well!

Actually, as much as I like the 119 I'm learning stuff on the way, firing me up for an AC-119 correction and build!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 71chally said:

Actually, as much as I like the 119 I'm learning stuff on the way, firing me up for an AC-119 correction and build!

Oooh! Sound interesting. The pilot of Pelican 9 here (Mitchell) went on I believe to make something of a name for himself on the AC-119 subsequently.

4 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Found this interesting clip from the 70s, useful tips for the interior insulation..

:rofl: Thanks for the giggle Tomo - that made me grin.:D

Knocking off for the day and getting ready for the weekend trip but I just wanted to post the fruits of the odd few minutes grabbed here and there over the last few days. Nothing dramatic but some making good on areas I wasn't happy with ie. those perforated strips (I think I called them strengthening plates on a previous posting without really knowing (still!) what their actual structural function is...) that run down either side of the interior at head height. 

You've all been most charitable in not mentioning that fact that my attempts on these particular items up until now have been uniformly foul. Using both larger sheets of plastic for rigidity when drilling, differing thicknesses, pricking-out with sewing machine needles etc.all produced equally unacceptable results. This is the last attempt with plastic, mumminfying the blighter in tape prior to drilling:

33768062154_1f4572025f_c.jpg

I'm notsure by that stage was I anticipating it would work, or that I had simply restorted to voodoo practices...TBH I was so hacked-off and frankly bored at my inability to render anything even remotely acceptable at this stage that I gave up in disgust. 

It subsequently occurred to me that the problem needed approaching from a different angle - it might not be technique at fault but the material being used to create those parts. Tunnel-vision of the most stupid  'I'm building a platic kit so I'll use plastic' kind... :wall:

Metal. Why not metal? As I've already found with tubing and soldering, at this scale metal yields much sharper and less malleable results, so out with the foil from a bottle of Rioja:

33768058644_7a1839dce3_c.jpg

Immediately upon pricking out the basic measurements here for drilling (I'm still waiting on sub-millimetre hole punches being delivered or I 'd have tried those first) I felt confident that this was the breakthrough needed:

33768060154_fca68faa11_c.jpg

I suppose this is a kind of homebrew PE approach: the nice thing about using this material is that any deformation due to drilling/cutting can be easily smoothed-out again with a metal ruler afterwards:

34224933290_cae1f8db46_c.jpg

CA'd in place of the original plastic monstrosities, those strips now looks much sharper and smarter in there:

34611069935_5de3b5f7d4_c.jpg

In other spare moments I'd also begun adding some of the more prominent box detail to the walls, and here have added the hydraulic switch on the port side that controls the actuators responsible for tilting the retrieval poles downwards:

34224934290_0511bcf8e9_c.jpg

I see by this close-up shot that I need to do a little remedial tidying in places where  some of those horizontal runs have been pushed out of alignment by careless handling, and a couple of spurious holes in those metal plates that need filling where they overlay a station.

I'm at the stage now of pondering what further level of detailing needs to be added to the interior walls, given that the primary viewing angle for all of this is in the final result is down the length of the fuselage through the beaver-tail door. . I think the next step is to build a couple of crew seats to suspend from that white-coloured rail you see in the shot above. Foil again methinks for the webbing-structure....

Lads. have a great weekend and I'll talk to you in a day or two - I do hope your own builds are going ok! :thumbsup:

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18

You are doing fine. Remember that in this perforated scale strips, either plastic or metal are notoriously difficult to do.

Martian

• Like 1

Good work Tony - they'll look great from the beaver (titter) when they're painted :)

29 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

You are doing fine. Remember that in this perforated scale strips, either plastic or metal are notoriously difficult to do.

Martian

NOW he tells you!

A question about your drill please. I know you like yours but I have an Expo 'Archimedes' drill - is yours the same? With mine I tighten a drill into the chuck, hold the collet and, after a few pumps, the chuck loosens and the drill vanishes up the whotsit. What am I doing wrong?

• Like 2

Twist the slidy bit against the rotation of the chuck, that does the trick.

Martian the Helpful

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Cheers Martian! I think I've got a perforated ulcer now after that last bout of...err...perforating.

2 hours ago, CedB said:

A question about your drill please. I know you like yours but I have an Expo 'Archimedes' drill - is yours the same? With mine I tighten a drill into the chuck, hold the collet and, after a few pumps, the chuck loosens and the drill vanishes up the whotsit. What am I doing wrong?

It is Ced. One of these:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Expo-Archimedes-PCB-Drill-w-2-collets-0-1mm-75022-/322511613987?hash=item4b1730b023:g:APwAAOSwtGlZEslq

Something doesn't sound quite right with yopurs though from what you're saying. I took mine apart just to show all the bits:

34485971191_be76e8ee47_c.jpg

A daft question but does yours have that handgrip bit above the collet in this photo that rotates freely when you hold it? The collar part at the front tightens to clamp the collet around the drill bit, but it's the handgrip part higher up on this model that you hold between your fingers to steady it as you pump it up and down. (Dear Christ...of all the people to write that last sentence to! :lol: ) Apologies for probably telling you what you already know Ced but just wanted to make sure you had all the parts on yours one.

HTH,

T.

• Like 9